Should I just take the plunge and buy

D

Doggy

Not sure if this is the correct section.

Ive got about 11 ww2 planes to build, some starter sets. I now have an airbrush and compressor so I'm looking to buy better paints.

My planes are the usual, mostly german, a few british, one american and one japanese. I dont have the time to nip to my local model shop that sells Vallejo but my local hobby craft have Tamiya paints.

I'm not getting through the planes because I don't have the paints. I know everyone speaks highly of Vallejo, so surely buying the paints and thinners and anything else can't be that much of a gamble??

I noticed on ebay they sell sets geared up towards british planes. Should I just buy the sets or does Scale Model Shop do the sets?

Thanks.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I only have a couple of sets of Modelair which are the RLM ones, I can get any you want but problem with set's is you tend to get something you don't want or need, I have the full range of modelair in, if the set's you see cost you a lot less let me know I will try and work out a price for you.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
What's rlm?
Luftwaffe colours.

The colours were given a number rather than an official verbal description e.g. RLM 76. RLM is an acronym for the Reich Air Ministry (Reichsluftfahrtministerium)

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

From what i understand ... and in laymans terms (ie basic that i can cope with)

German paint colours ...Reichsluftfahrtministerium (spelling?) have a number this number is preceded by RLM which is an acronym of that big german one :smiling3:

i.e. RLM02 etc

hope thats right or i'll look a prat again :smiling3:

*edit*

Steve beat me to it and it seem i weren't far off :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Doggy I should just go for the ones you need for each model you work on. You will soon build up the popular colours.

A few colours on RAF WW11 are the same on a lot of those of that era.

Scale Model Shop Vallejo are at a very competitive price & the postage is very reasonable.

Do not forget the thinners.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
From what i understand ... and in laymans terms (ie basic that i can cope with)German paint colours ...Reichsluftfahrtministerium (spelling?) have a number this number is preceded by RLM which is an acronym of that big german one :smiling3:

i.e. RLM02 etc

hope thats right or i'll look a prat again :smiling3:

*edit*

Steve beat me to it and it seem i weren't far off :smiling3:
You are spot on Colin but it is a modern usage,attaching the prefix RLM to the colour number. In Germany,during the war,if someone said "spray that panel 02" everyone would know that it was an RLM colour!

I don't want to bore everyone to death but in technical documents the two digit colour designator would come on the end of other numbers,typically four,which define what the coloured product is, what group it belongs to,whether it is permanent ,temporary,adhesive etc.

On factory drawings describing camouflage patterns the colours are usually preceded by the German word "Farbton",as in Farbton 76. You can translate this simply as colour,hue or shade 76. All aircraft manufacturers did ascribe a descriptive word to these colours but this was not an official designation and they didn't all call the same colour the same thing. This description would usually appear on their factory documents with the RLM designation as in "Farbton 81 braunviolett" from Messerschmitt or "dunkelgrun 81" from Dornier.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

Thanks for the info Steve, interesting stuff when you get into the nitty gritty eh?

\ said:
I don't want to bore everyone to death
I for one never get bored of taking in information, whatever it is .... Celebrity love lives, diets, fashion and general shash not included :smiling3:

My motto throughout life has been "don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can."

D

Doggy

Ok I'll make a list of the colours I need. Anything else I need as well as thinners?

D

Doggy

Ok I dug out all my models. I'll need to cross over all these paints to Vallejo model air, it will take me some time.

British colours 29 30 33 39 64 82 88 90 93 96 106

American 3 11 24 33 89 155

German 24 26 27 30 31 32 33 39 45 47 49 53 61 62 64 65 78 91 104 116 117 145 154.

Most of my kits are airfix except 2 revell. Looks like its cheaper to build British planes.

T

tecdes

Whoa there Doggy. From my experience it would be better first to trot around the paddock than go cross country without experience.

I have on my shelves high up now two trays of about 60 Humbrol tins of enamel. Not touched in 21 months. I went mad & bought loads before trying them. They did not suit me.

If I was in the position you are I would buy colours enough for the first model. Get to find if I liked Vallejo Model Air.

True there is probably a larger number using Vallejo but equally there are others who do not like the paint. All for a variety of reasons. Find it not the best to airbrush, does not give the finish they want etc.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have to agree - take it steady Doggy.

John's service is great, order one day and you get it the next - provided you are not ordering too late to make the post that is!!!

I research each subject first, decide on what paints I need and order any I dont have.

Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you my Excel spreadsheet of the Vallejo colours I use that have useful notes next to them that will help in deciding what colours to use for each aircraft. I have built this up over a year or so and doing a lot of research.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Or just convert your paints on this spreadsheet :smiling3:

Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - Paint4models.com

D

Doggy

I know, you are all right. i'm just a bit frustrated, i want to get going with these kits.

Am I too late for next day on a Saturday from Scale Model Shop? I might just go with the British at first.

T

tecdes

\ said:
I know, you are all right. i'm just a bit frustrated, i want to get going with these kits.Am I too late for next day on a Saturday from Scale Model Shop? I might just go with the British at first.
Should not worry Doggy Monday will do you.

Based on the fact that you have not started the model yet there is plenty to do in assembling & preparation before getting to the paint stage.

Do not forget primer which is the first port of call at least for the larger parts.

Laurie

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
I know, you are all right. i'm just a bit frustrated, i want to get going with these kits.Am I too late for next day on a Saturday from Scale Model Shop? I might just go with the British at first.
Your good up till about 3:30ish just remember 1st class isn't a guaranteed next day the only way to do that would be special delivery, but from my experience 1st class is next day 9 out of 10 times.

D

Doggy

Yes the primer. Im still not sure about buying a can from Halfords. would that not be smelly and messy? Ive used those cans before and they spray in quite a big fan. Would that not be too big for a 1/72 plane?

T

tecdes

If you are worried Doggy go for Vallejo primer. Certainly no smell & work the same way as Vallejo paint. Like the paint they are good as self leveling & very forgiving if you spray a bit thick in places.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I buy vallejo paints from my local Boyes store Doggy, been getting a few at a time as and when I need them, also I've found out the hard way that primer is a must. My personal favourite is Wilkinsons gray primer in a spray can, when sprayed from about 6 to 8 inches the paint disk is about 2 to 3 inches across, so no problem for 1:72 scale stuff, which is mostly what I do.

I've found that vallejo is works for me, after trying humbrol enamals and acrylics and tamiya acrylics, so I've learned what's best for me by trial and mostly error.

Go slowly and expect not to be perfect first, second or even third go, is my opinion mate.

Good luck with your builds.

tony.