Should I just take the plunge and buy

D

Doggy

Got the spread sheet Barry, great work and thanks.

I'm still frustrated, it appears the model air range is a bit incomplete. Unless I'm missing something.

T

tecdes

Not sure what you mean incomplete Doggy.

If you mean that the colour taken from the model has no equal in the Vallejo range then that will be so with numerous colours. But it is Vallejos great advantage in that they have a range which is wider than any other model paint manufacturer. You can also use,with heavy thining, Vallejo Model colours which are even more expansive than Model Air.

I have colour cards of Tamiya Humbrol & Revell. Then you just have to concoct those that are missing by mixing.

Or alternatively ask on this forum advice.

Laurie

S

Saber

I started off with humbrol enamals then revell enamels 1.50 for a little tin. I thin it with white spirit in my airbrush. 3 brush fulls of white spirit to 1 of revell enamel is a good ratio. Like it better then acrylics it goes on smooth and drys rock hard. Do all my spraying outside in the shed spraying out the shed door so acrylic might be best if your spraying in doors. I guess we all just find what we like best and stick with it.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Doggy

Yes there are some colours that are not in the Air range but are in the Colour one. Some colours I use mostly with a hairy stick when painting detail, hence the 'Colour' equivalent in the range. There are not many camo colours that you cannot get.

All in all the Vallejo range is probably the most extensive there is and they keep adding colours to it.

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/e0dfd3e0b116a45f5c067efc069ef3d3/model-air-ccw.pdf

D

Doggy

Thanks everyone. I found that colour card last night after posting, ive printed it off too. I also found another crsoss reference chart at the Vallejo website, which is quite useful.

T

tecdes

Doggy

Should have qualified my advice on using colour cards. Unless your printer is colour calibrated, unlikely, do not compare printed colour cards with the ones circulated & printed by manufacturers as they will not give a proper match. Cheap printers with 3 coloured inks & simulated inks will give weird results. You are better getting the manufacturers cards direct from them. Think you will find John has colour cards & will send with any order to Scale Model Shop.

Hope you do not mind me saying so but. I think it best to take the plunge bite the bullet & jump in. All your concerns about equipment & paint will disappear as being very minor. I found it concentrated the mind on model making rather than shopping lists. What you have not got will jump out immediately & bite you. But I find the mind is then on the model. The most difficult bit strange as I found it was not glueing the bits together. It was sequence what to do in what order for both constructing & painting. That I find the most difficult & most absorbing of model making.

Laurie

D

Doggy

Well I did jump in a bit. I bought a new kit and the paint to do it, a Ju87 with Revell paint, it's a revell kit. Its a start and it will give me something to go on.

I also bought some Tamiya paint and their thinner to paint my Zero.

I went into Glasgow to buy a few model air paints but all that was on offer was the paint sets. I was confused again so I left it. Thats why I ended up buying the revell and tamiya paints. I was told model air and model colour is the same paint, the only difference is one is pre thinned. That widens the range if it's true.

Once I get a handle on things I'll order online.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
I was told model air and model colour is the same paint, the only difference is one is pre thinned. That widens the range if it's true.Once I get a handle on things I'll order online.
Yes, you could buy some some model color and empty dropper bottles and thin them, get more for your money

T

tecdes

Doggy. Yes I think your first model will give you a basis on which way you go for future models etc. The first model is the greatest learning curve of of model making.

I think you have been talking to an "armchair expert". Model & Model Air are not the same. The pigments in Model Air are ground to a finer powder than Model & the acrylic is different. Model air was developed for air brushing & Model is for hand brushing. If you weigh a bottle of each the model is about 3 times the weight of Model. Thinned, a lot, Model can be airbrushed but I find the results not as good both in quality & use in an airbrush. But Model are really great for the small amount of hand brushing I do to the pieces which are not practical for air brushing.

Keep in touch on how you get on. Loads of help here. Do not hold back on photos we all started at the begining.

Laurie