Small scale figure Step by step (SBS). A 1/48 freebie Paul Hicks sculpt is the victim.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hope the flare up dies down soon Tim , the SBS is going great , picking up some fantastic tips ( dont know how good I’ll be at using them ! )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hope the flare up dies down soon Tim , the SBS is going great , picking up some fantastic tips ( dont know how good I’ll be at using them ! )
I’m sure it will Tony. Glad you are enjoying it……just try pushing paint around, it doesn’t bite after all.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tim,

Just had a quick catch-up. That's coming on very nicely indeed. Love the colour the red and green created.

Key up the great work and hope the RA calms down soon.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,

Just had a quick catch-up. That's coming on very nicely indeed. Love the colour the red and green created.

Key up the great work and hope the RA calms down soon.

ATB.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew. I’ll try……and so do I :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim , firstly Matron is on her way , left here in a cloud of exhaust and burning rubber !
Hope improve soon, this cold snap can't help much .
Great painting , now the rest of us have to improve .The only thing I will add is I can't see well enough to do the eyes, one is ok ! But when I attempt the second it invariably looks as if the figure is crosseyed :nerd:With out the wash I would struggle .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim , firstly Matron is on her way , left here in a cloud of exhaust and burning rubber !
Hope improve soon, this cold snap can't help much .
Great painting , now the rest of us have to improve .The only thing I will add is I can't see well enough to do the eyes, one is ok ! But when I attempt the second it invariably looks as if the figure is crosseyed :nerd:With out the wash I would struggle .
No need for Matron to hurry John. I have an appointment with her and the size six needle in Dorchester on Wednesday…..I wouldn’t mind, but she stands on the other side of the room while I assume the position, then uses my butt as a dartboard :flushed:
Cold snap is fine to be honest, the damp is worse than the cold…..
Eyes are an acquired art John. Just concentrate on making a T shape with the horizontal stroke above the eyeball and the vertical stroke through the middle. If it is slightly off, get the position right using a dot of white paint. Then just restore the eyeball shape with the brown I’ve indicated.
Glad you like the flesh wash…..I’m sure you could paint decent faces without it, but it doesn’t half speed up the process.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, i felt a bit better today so have made a little more progress…..

Jacket highlights done…..
CDFB6AB9-5692-45EF-B1FF-613EEAF0C172.jpeg
For the highlights I used Carmine red. It’s a bit lighter and brighter, but not overly so.

D910F940-10BD-480C-AE1F-015651F80EEA.jpeg
BEBB5938-0949-4CC2-B03B-02B83C702A4F.jpeg
Highlighted areas include tops of pockets, edges of blazer, highest arm areas, shoulder blades, etc. I’m afraid the photos are awful. Red is just difficult to photograph in general…..hopefully some of it shows up though.

Last job today was the gas mask cardboard box and the string holding it on him….
I used these colours….
1E228BCA-0D95-4F7F-A3E9-CE24F2550C8B.jpeg
Underpaint was flat earth, and highlights and edges were cork brown. I used and intermediate colour on the box mixed from both, but just went straight to cork brown on the string.

2DC04597-0EBC-4DE2-AFC7-A78380417FD9.jpeg
Looks OK, though the photos are again blown out a bit.

Last job on the figure is the spitfire, then I’m on to the base rubble and varnishing……
See you soon…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Moved this on a bit more……
877FADD1-89B8-48D6-ABEC-246E7F23D630.jpeg
6CA90F9C-258A-4A76-AD2B-C8B8B7230343.jpeg
Spitfire done……
I know it’s a bit crude, and I know the colours aren’t right, but it is a home made child’s toy. The idea is that his dad made the aircraft in his shed from scrap wood and left over house paint…..so I went for a generic light blue, brown, and green as the colours. I then did the roundels roughly (actually really hard to do them any better) and painted the spinner red. In the kids‘ eyes it is perfect, so who am I to argue…….

Also started on the base, which is the last bit. It’s a bomb site, so I went for a generic dust colour groundwork. First the whole base was given a wash of Game colour 73203 Umber wash. The dust is Model colour 70821 German Camo beige WW1. I lightened it twice with ivory and dry brushed it to bring out the texture. Might need a wash to bring back the shadows.

Bricks and concrete rubble details will be the last bits before varnishing. He’s not going to be played with so all he will get is a coat of matt varnish.

As always, any questions, abuse or jokes welcome…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work again Tim!

Thanks for another great SBS!