******* Sorry but Falklands GB Called off ********

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fenlander

OK guys, only one month to go (give or take a week) to the end of the Summer Group Build 'Cross of Iron'

I am really pleased with the entries for this group build and the way it has been conducted by members. The first GB lead to comments about how it took over the forum. I know that even with loads of entries, the Summer GB has not done this and there has been a great diversity of modelling being done both inside and outside the GB. Many thanks to all who are taking part, those who have finished and those (myself primarily) who are still gasping for breath, getting stitch and the tape is no where in sight yet...

So, is it too early to look at the next one, I don't think so. However, we are doing it a little differently this time and I am announcing the subject of the GB in plenty of time as it will have a wide range of possibilities. There will be Land, Sea and air subjects and although not a vast range, plenty in there that will suit just about every model maker on the forum.

In the last two builds, there has been lots of discussion bouncing back and forth trying to decide what the subject is. This will not be the case this time, the subject will be announced and that is what we will go with. I understand that not everyone will be happy about that or the subject but, as always, entry is not compulsory although I do hope it gets well received and we have a good bash at it.

Remember that the whole idea of the GB is not to do just what we like, but to have a go at something different and I believe that this subject will allow just that and with a bit of a twist.

As it is something that we do not see much on the forum due to the period, this is one of the things that has made me decide to announce it this early.

Please give some thought as to what subject, side, scale etc you fancy doing. There is no need to do a diorama if you do not wish to, however, if you do, I for one will enjoy looking at them. The Cross of Iron GB has brought some amazing dioramas and increased the number of dio builders.

Once again, I take the chance to thank those experienced diorama builders who have offered so much in advice, support and inspiration to those who have lost their diorama virginity in this GB.

It is this way of thinking and creating a reason to move forward that has helped members develop their modelling skills and gain confidence in their work and ability. If this is all the Group Builds do, then they have more than achieved their reason for being.

Can I also please ask those who do not have anything in their stash that is suitable for the Autumn/Winter GB that they contact John by PM to see if he can obtain the model you are looking for. If he can, I am sure he will do the best deal he can for you. Not only does this help the business, but it helps the forum to. We are very lucky to have such a great forum that has it's own shop as well. The shop has not been going that long and is still settling into it's market. I and hopeful it will continue to grow and develop into a great resource for us as modellers and to help support the forum.

OK, I have rambled on a lot as usual and by now you will be either asleep or shouting "Get on with it!" so I will

The subject for the Scale Models Forum Autumn/Winter Group Build is "The Falklands Campaign" It will run from November 1st 2010 and will end 28th February 2011.

As above. You can do anything that was down their during the campaign, be it British or Argentinean. There are ships, submarines, helicopters prop and jet aircraft Tanks, well scimitars anyway, artillery pieces as well as lorries, land rovers etc. Only thing you may struggle to find is the figures especially for the Argentine forces, although there may be a few Paras and special forces larger scale figures.

Please give some thought as to what you want, do your research, historical and what is available in kit form. Please give John a shout to see if he can get the kit you want, there is plenty of time before the start.

Hope you like the subject and I hope you will support and enjoy the GB

F

Ferrets Bueller

I take it this is open to anyone to take part in, as i would be very interested.

What scale would offer us the most choice then.

F

Fenlander

It is indeed open to all members of the forum including anyone who is looking and wants to join just to take part. As for scale, it is a case of what you can find of what you want to do. All the aircraft are available in 1/72 in the Airfix Falklands set (not bad but one of the Harriers in there is spot on, I know because I messed it up as one of my first posts on here). Helicopters are available in a few scales to, not sure about the artillery though. Plenty of ships in various scales, you could even do the SS Canberra in all its dirty whiteness if you wanted. The amphibious US tracks that the Argentines used are available in 1:35 and Scimitars are available in all scales. Who wants to do the famous Black Cab that the Governor has?

The raising of the Union Flag at Stanley by the Paras would be nice if the figures could be found, probably resin or metal so not cheap

P

Plastickitbasher

I like this one, as I served there many years ago, so I'll need to dig out some old photo's.

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh gods!

The only kit I got in my stash suitable for the Falklands is the Airfix Nimrod. Does that mean I gotta try and make summat that I can't cover with dirt or snow to hide my mistakes?

Gern

F

Ferrets Bueller

Excellent i reckon im up for some 1/72 aircraft, i think im right in thinking the arges used the dasault aircraft?, with those and a harrier vulcan etc im sorted.

Can we do as many as we wish?

K

Kressy13

Hi guys.

Sounds interesting. Especially seeing as i know absolutley nothing about the Falklands. lol. Better start researching then. Eeep.

Cheers

Kresten

F

Fenlander

The Argentine Airforce during the War (Source Wikipedia)

1st Air Brigade -

Lockheed C-130H Hercules, 7 (1)

Lockheed KC-130H Hercules Tanker 2

Boeing 707 3

Fokker F-28 6

Fokker F-27 12

2nd Air Brigade - English Electric B.Mk62 Canberra 8 (2)

Grupo Aérofotográfico - Learjet 35A-L 2 (1)

3rd Air Brigade -

Falkland Islands - FMA IA 58 Pucará 24 (13)

Comodoro Rivadavia - FMA IA 58 Pucará ? (1)

4th Air Brigade - McDonnell Douglas A-4C Skyhawk 15 (9)

5th Air Brigade - McDonnell Douglas A-4B Skyhawk <35 (10)

6th Air Brigade - Israel Aircraft Industries Dagger 30 (11)

7th Air Brigade -

Boeing CH-47C Chinook 2

Bell 212 2

8th Air Brigade - Dassault Mirage IIIEA 17 (2)

Argentine Navy

1st Naval Air Attack Squadron - Aermacchi MB.339A 6 (2)

2nd Naval Air Fighter/Attack Squadron - Dassault Super Étendard 4 (sn. 3-A-201 was cannibalized for spare parts)

3rd Naval Air Fighter/Attack Squadron - McDonnell Douglas A-4Q Skyhawk 8 (3)

Naval Air Antisubmarine Squadron - Grumman S-2E Tracker 6

Naval Air Training Squadron - Beechcraft T-34 Mentor 4 (4)

Naval Air Exploration Squadron - Lockheed SP-2H Neptune 2 (both retired by end of May due airframe attrition)

1st Naval Air Helicopter Squadron -

Aérospatiale Alouette AI03 10 (1)

Sea Lynx 2 (1)

2nd Naval Air Helicopter Squadron - Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King 5

Naval Air Transport Squadrons -

Lockheed L-188 Electra 3

Fokker F-28 3

Argentine Army

601 Army Aviation Battalion -

Boeing CH-47C Chinook 2 (1)

Agusta A109 3 (1)

Bell UH-1H Iroquois 9

Aérospatiale Puma SA330L 5 (5).

South Georgia April 3 - Aérospatiale Puma SA330L 1 (1)

Argentine Coast Guard

Aviation Service

Aérospatiale Puma SA330L 1

Short Skyvan 2 (2)

Argentine traffic planes

Escuadrón Fénix — 30 civilian business planes:

Gates Learjet, Cessna Citation, Hawker Siddeley HS-125, Commander 690 and Mitsubishi MU-2.

Aerolíneas Argentinas and Austral airlines:

Boeing 737 [16] and BAC 1-11 (airlift to Patagonia and Port Stanley).

F

Fenlander

A Harrier? lol, they are just the Argentine aircraft with all the services. Not a lot of need for the British stuff, it was Harriers and helicopters.

The Pucara that comes with the Airfix box set is nice, not actually an Airfix kit but looks well. One of the Harriers is lovely, the other is a tad lacking, cannot remember which it is though. Will have a look later.

S

sprayman

A very interesting subject to me as my big old brother was involved in Operation Corporate, had a quick look through my stash, and could only find, Dragon 1/700 HMS Sheffield 25th Anniversary Falklands War, and Italeri Harrier GR.3 'Falklands 1/72,but count me in on this.

Brian Hanrahan BBC "I'm not allowed to say how many planes joined the raid, but I counted them all out and I counted them all back"

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Are we talking the Falklands Crisis of 1770? Mad Maggies reelection campagne or the current7upcomming sequel Fakllands II (the rights for Oil)?

Bad Humor laid to one side, for a moment at least, I think that John had better start buying in loads of modern British figures/armour/softskins/RN/RAF of the correct vintage!

I susspect that there will be a shortage of figures in this GB, as the selection is somewhat limited.

For our non-UK members there are page upon page about the 1982 crisis on Wiki. Info on the whys and wheres, the whats and whens.

Ian m

S

sprayman

Good point Ian, could be a serious shortage of figures, or we could end up with plenty of Harriers,Nimrods or Vulcans, maybe if we find model links we could post here to aid the build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Firing Line Vehicles Master Frames Page is about all i got at the minute! But they are good!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Worry not guys, I wouldn't give you a GB where there was no choice. Ok, figures may be limited but it isn't all about figures and dioramas, clear your minds from all the other builds and think afresh. Another 5 weeks before it starts lol

N

noble

For modern stuff try accurate armour they have a tendancy to hold a fair amount of modern stuff.

scott

D

Dingbat

Just ordered the Tamiya Naval Harrier and i am determined to join this one. I was thinking of putting a ship in the background with the harrier in foreground . It has been years since i have attempted a ship so in what scale would be best?. As a kid i'm sure we all built the small scale models but have no idea on the larger sets. Any help would be appreciated.

N

noble

Anyone know where i can get a decent size kit of the USS Phoenix (General Belgrano)? Help please.

scott

A

andygh

This'll take some thinking about

Some useful equipment lists here falklands

F

Fenlander

I am thinking of cancelling the Falklands GB as a formal GB due to lack of comments and a few, understandably, pulling out as it is of no interest to them.

I will continue to build what I had planned for it and I hope those who did think about joining in will still build their Falklands kit and post it up. Still do them but it just will not be a Group Build. Makes no difference really, still get to build some good kits from the period.

Sorry it was not to your liking guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.