******* Sorry but Falklands GB Called off ********

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sprayman

Its a very interesting subject Graham, I think for some reason the model manufacturers showed little interest in the Falklands,hence the availability of choice, but Im still happy to build something, considering I dont step out of 1945, but as you said, maybe its time to try something new and different.

F

Ferrets Bueller

What a shame it wasnt to everyones liking, i think it'll be agreat build and will 100% be building a few models from the conflict

G

Greg147

The Falklands war definatly is an interesting topic, but I must say I'm reletively glad its being reconsidered. I personally aren't a plane or ship person, and without any figures on the market, I'm a little stuck to say the least. Still, I had a few ideas in mind involving Argentine Amptracs, and the first contact with the Royal Marines. There's a lot that could be done on the war, which is why it's a shame there's no real variety outside aircraft.

Although, if someone does still want to make a Falklands diorama, and is looking for figures, this link appears to be the only pack for sale online. They're Escis 1/72 NATO troops, a discontinued pack, many of which are non-specific figures with FN FAL or G3 rifles. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the UK, otherwise I would have bought them in a shot.

Amazon.com: 1/72 Scale ESCI/Ertl NATO Troops Complete Set: Everything Else=

L

Lancasterb1

Ok I am up for this group build, I think it will be a piece of armour and I have ordered the AFV club, 1/35 Scimitar which I hope will arrive shortly. Diorama as well me thinks, but I will see how the build goes first ...............................

Andy

F

Fenlander

Sorry Andy but the GB has been called off. Do build something from the era though as it has some fascinating stuff and history.

Just noticed that the Newsletter has gone out with an advert for this GB, sorry guys. Bit of a mess up. Will not happen again.

P

Plastickitbasher

Oh that's a shame I was looking forward to that one

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Why not let it run as a SIGB and just do a "normal three month" GB on an other subject.

That way you get to build the Govorner taxi and anyone else that already has the subject sorted can continue with that.

Us less imaginative types can join the ordinary GB.

SIG's verses GB has often come up in the GB discussions, so why not take the plunge and go for it. Three months for the GB: Four months for the SIG.

Then every body is happy.....

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Tere is no reason why people cannot continue to build their Falklands models at all, I know I will be doing what I had planned. The idea of SIGs, when it was first suggested got quite a luke warm response with discussions just going around in circles withe the eventual conclusion that it was all too much. I did a very poor sales job on SIGs lol

Maybe we should just have a break from the GB until after Christmas and then base it on the majority vote around what Santa brought ;)

L

Lancasterb1

It is a shame that the build has been cancelled, but for whatever reason it has and there we are! I will still build and post when it is done, and look forward to joining the new Winter build as and when it is decided!

Andy

A

andygh

Damn, I woke up with the germ of an idea this morning, went to Modelzone today and picked some stuff up for the GB

Never mind, the models will still be built to the original plan, might even start on it next week

F

Fenlander

Sounds interesting Andy, any clues??? Please do build it as you intended, as I have said, I will be building what I though of for the Falklands.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Shame it's cancelled, still wasn't sure what I was going to do, was researching Goose green for inspiration.

R

Richy C

Sorry guys have not been posting for a few weeks due to a few on going problems at home , any way enough about me , please don`t feel you have let us down down Graham I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we all appriciate how much time and hard work you put into to make these GB`s happen and long may it continue mate , hows about a modern-ish British gb ie- from 1950-2010 that way any of the guys who have already brought kits can still rock and roll , with this option you we could make any one of jets , armour , ships and figures , just a thought , failing that what about another vote

Richy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
please don`t feel you have let us down down Graham I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we all appriciate how much time and hard work you put into to make these GB`s happen and long may it continue mate
Seconded!

Gern

N

noble

I agree Graham you haven't let anyone down mate and i certainly appreciate the amount of very hard work involved and as stated before long may the GB's continue.

scott

L

Lancasterb1

I agree with Scott, Gern and Richy, it takes a lot of organising and thought to get a GB together and I for one would not relish the task! I think that whatever is decided in the future for the next GB then great, I will be there and ready to roll. A small conflict like the Falklands does have it's drawbacks in as much as kits available as oppsoed to hardware used, note I said conflict and not war, what the differences are I know not? That being said I missed out on the last GB just coming to the forum, even though you invited me along to take part Graham. For many reasons I did decline, mostly pressures at work and time frames. Enough of that.

Going back to what has been said, Graham please do not think that you have let anyone down, whatever is decided in the future, I will support(if it is armour so much the better ha ha) and I think that most of those that have posted on this thread would be in the same mind set. This hobby that we all love is great and long may it continue.

A GB is a great way to see what other modellers have and present from the same era that has been decided and due to the diverse amount of kits that are out there it always shows the best in people both with presentation and thought process of how to depict thier particular model. I will fully support any further builds that are decided and if their is a problem in as much as struggling to find a subject then put it to the vote of forum members, however what is nice is that at the end of the day, if the GB is decided by Graham or a vote, we will all be building something from the era that most of us want to build from. I will still be building the Scimitar and posting it when finished.

Graham keep up the great work and let us know what you finally decide on, so maybe we can ask for a particular kit Christmas!!My Mrs always says she cannot find anything for me at Christmas.........................:noidea:

Andy

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

I'm sorry to hear about the GB not going ahead.

Personally, I don't think I would have participated because I have so many projects on the go at the moment. Again, like the Russian campaign GB, the Falklands conflict holds no particular interest for me but I think (given the time) I would have used this to model something different - like a ship at sea (always wanted to model the waves crashing against the bow of a ship). I would have still enjoyed seeing the projects that would have come out of this GB it's just that for I couldn't spare the time.

I, as many others will I'm sure, thank you for all your efforts in organising the GBs and look forward to the next one after Xmas (when hopefully I may have cleared my decks a bit!).

Cheers mate

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.