Static grass applicator

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hello all came across this when looking for long static grass,

must have one :rolleyes:, as alot off us make dio,s and use what ever we can for grass, be it fur painted, paint brush cut down and drill holes to pock in, or just pain flat grass :mad:

Now hear is my question,s :P

the one show is a electric fly swatter, from the US ?, that mite not be abled to obtain else were ?

this way is a guy in the UK who made one but dose not wont to give up the info on how too ? :mad:

the 1st way is the easy way to do, but as said would work better with an AC adopter ?

I guess that dose take the place off the batters so would be wired to each side off the batter wires,

but how would you scratch build one without the fly swatter :oops: ?

we must have some of you lads who are good and know about electronics who can say what is needed and how to put it together, as i think i would be off great use to most off use,

as we real need for about 6mm grass or longer

any help most welcome and appreciated, :D

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Electrics mmmm would love to help Monica but I can change bulbs and plugs and that's were my expertise ends :sad: Sorry but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you

D

dubster72

Monica, my way is simplicity itself, with no electronics!

I lay down some PVA glue, sprinkle the grass & then rub a balloon to generate static electricity, pass this over the grass (not touching, about 1" over it) .

This attracts the grass & makes it stand upright.

Job done!

Cheers

Patrick

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have to agree with Patrick, a comb or balloon producing static charge will work just as well, although it will take longer. I also use the vacuum cleaner when the grass has dried to just remove excess and to make it rise.

Si:smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi all , I have only use like the fine ground, grasses in the 1.72 and was looking to use the longer 4 to 6 mm grass for 1.35 and come across that,

but never did i think of just static charge , will have to give that a try ,thank you Patrick,on the one im making, wish i could tap it from my car I get zapped by it all the time

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cant watch the second video. Makes me sea sick. Serious dude if you are going to do a video to put on You tube, use a tripod....

And I just sprinkle it on PVA ... Now I know why my grass always looks down trodden.

Ian M

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Monica I have just bought 1 from a guy in England for £22 aprox when it arrives I will let you know how it works it is a lot better made than the 1 in your video , i will keep you posted

Steve

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Steve, thats great I will be most interested in that and thank you so much,I think if there powered by an AC adapter they would work better,

but will look forward to know how yours works :rolleyes:

be fun mess about with things i don,t know and get zapped ,oh ouch, :oops: or short out the whole house that would be fun as well ,lol

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have heard good reports, but I find this too expensive as I am trying to save up for a hold and fold. Better stick to Patrick's method.

John

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi John once i get hold of the ion generator and a female dc plug, plus a on/off switch ,some pvc pipe,

and that about it real,

the one that Barry is waiting for at 22 pond is a good pries , but for use in Aust, that, plus postage would work out to be over $50 aust,

if i could get one for between $2o / $ 30 i would, and save getting zapped :confused:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is what runs the whole thing, :confused:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OATLEY-ELECTRONICS-IONB2-GRASSINTOR-HIGH-VOLTAGE-MODULE/111315647238?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D5960500258512629618%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107090050%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D111289266603

and hear are the plans as well its good to share :rolleyes:

http://csxdixieline.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/howto-static-grass-applicator.html

I think its all very easy going off this only a few wires and if you get an on/off switch with a led no need for the show,power one :rolleyes:

hope you all like it, and if anyone dose make one before me any info most welcome :cool:

First Name
Richard
Hi Moni,

I build one the same as the guy in the first video and spent € 5,00 on it, and 15 min on building time. Maybe not as strong as the one you are building but it works fine for me, although you got me thinking maybe I put a 1s Lipo in it that will tune up from 3V 2x aa battery's to 4.2V and see what ;) .

these are some result and the grass machine that did the job.

View attachment 80287

View attachment 80288

View attachment 80289

View attachment 80290

Cheers Richi

DSCF2203[1].jpg

DSCF2205[1].jpg

DSCF2210[1].jpg

DSCF2213[1].jpg

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
well my static grass applicator arrived and I have tried it out and it works , here are a few pictures . as I say it cost me £22 including p/p from ebay . 1 WORD OF WARNING THESE UNITS HAVE INVERTERS WHICH BOOST THE VOLTAGE TO 15K VOLTS -SO DONT TOUCH THE EARTH AND THE MESH AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

View attachment 80297

View attachment 80298

View attachment 80299

View attachment 80300

20140404_123909.jpg

20140404_123919.jpg

20140404_150830.jpg

20140404_150956.jpg

D

dubster72

Looks like it work's well Steve, although your first picture looks like an

ideal sex toy for a member of the WI!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Richi, oh nice ,I did notice on some off your dio,s before the long grass but never asked about it, good job, on making it,

they do work well i think, :smiling3:

hi Steve, thats nice as well, it dose give a great result, yes i read that they do give a bit off a kick, i think if you take out a couple of the

things ,the little colored things they do get a stronger , :confused: sorry not much help i will try to find the link again,

I did go to the two dollar shop to try and get one but he had sold out ,:confused: but have to go to the shopping center next week so have a look there,

i know you can get them off evilbay for about $6.00 with free postage,

could you run them off a DC adapter ?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is the link that shows you what to remove to make them work better ,

the bigs i dont know what they called :confused: silly me

http://www.ruleslawyer.bellguard.com/?p=8

First Name
Richard
Hi Moni,

you can run them of a DC Adapter just take the + and - of the battery's and put on some electric wire + a DC Adapter to connect it all.

hope this helps.

View attachment 80352

remove the battery's

cheers Richi

Adapter.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Richi ,thank you, oh that's the way i was thinking and that would also add more zap :cool: as i do have AC adepter from a cordless drill so will work fine :rolleyes:

did you have a read over the last link, dose that add more zap by removing these 2 thing ? :confused:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
hi Richi ,thank you, oh that's the way i was thinking and that would also add more zap :cool: as i do have AC adepter from a cordless drill so will work fine :rolleyes:did you have a read over the last link, dose that add more zap by removing these 2 thing ? :confused:
The voltage of a cordless drill is likely to be much greater than the 3 Volts of the two batteries. Might damage the electronics.

First Name
Richard
Yep Steve is wright, I think if you stay in the 3 to 6 V range you should be fine. And I would sugiest before you remove that second thingie (capacitor) you could try it first.

Hope this helps

Cheers Richi