Static grass applicator

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Steve/Richi, and thank you for that steve, i did kind of think it may, we have so meany AC adepter, about from things so find a lower one :rolleyes:

that what i mean Richi and yes good advice ,if it works as good as yours and steve no need to mess with it, and thats what these little things are :D

I will have a look about in the shopping center in the pond shops and see if they have if not get this one

thanks for the advice ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-AA-Batteries-Electronic-Mosquito-Swatter-Bug-Insect-Electric-Fly-Zapper-Killer-/261398319289?clk_rvr_id=615060862923

if only I had off know about this 3 wks ago my son when home to the philippines for the weekend and could off got me one for a whole $ 2.00 oh booo :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Aaron
I built one of these 4 weeks ago and it works well...ive caught a few shocks of it.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Aaron , oh ouch i did hear they do give a bit off a boot,maybe run some plastic tube around the top edge ?:rolleyes:

you know what i will do unthinking tap the side of the shaker, :confused:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well Im very disappointed in the one i made :mad: :confused: sill thing , the grass still lays down as it sleeping, :oops:

you can hear it humming and dose spark, if you touch the ground pin ,

but just dose not seen to have the right amount off power, as it runs on 2 x AA, batters, I re-looked at the u tubes, and did notice

that theres ran off 2x D batters ,but also had a transformer in them,which this one dose not, so I hooked up a 9v to it ,:mad: the same thing ,sleeping grass ,

so all I got was sore feet ,a headache , and some what off a bad mood oh booo, think i will try the other way, and what a wast of $ 9.00 , or take out the (capacitor ?

First Name
Richard
hi Moni,

sorry to hear that, but not everything is lost, so can you take some pictures of the way you use it and what the underground is like and the distance from the bucket to the space the grass goes on.

maybe we find the reason;)

Cheers Richi

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
First Name
Richard
Hi Moni,

not sure if its the glue, but it could also be your distance, 3 or 4 inch is about 9 to 12 cm I use mine at about 2 cm and cover areas of about 10 cm around the wire with the clip. You can check this by putting some grass without glue on a piece of old pe or copper plate or something like that, important is that there can flow a current true the material you have put the grass on. then put the wire clip on the material you used and turn it on and slowly go with the hopper to the material to see wen it starts to pull the static grass of it onto the hopper.

Hope you know what i mean. ;) as soon as the static grass gets pulled to the hopper that's the distance you will need.

Cheers Richi

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Richi, thank you , I will try that , but I real cannot see how the glue should real matter but maybe it dose and the white has some think in it witch helps

I will give it a try again soon, and do that hold it only about 20 or 30 ml above you could be right im to high above and i keep hitting the pin,

as in the picture the blue thing is the transformer ? is that right so it has one ? :confused:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi Monica my 1 seems to work ok I was told to flatten the base of the sieve and keep it close to the base no more than a cm or 2 and it works, and I am using the 2aa battery type . as long as it is pva glue it should work

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Steve, thank you, mmmmm maybe its the glue is from the pound shop so who knows,:confused: ,as i said to Richi will get some more pva, and give that a try and hold it closer, :oops:

maybe that will work,

S

Stevekir

I don't think the glue can be the problem (unless the grass particles became saturated with glue, or in some way they fell lying down. In which case the particles would probably be too trapped to stand up). The particles need to be more or less vertical as they touch the glue, and that in turn requires a strong enough electric field.

I think you need to establish whether the device is actually providing static electricity, and enough of it down at the level of the particles. To test this you could get rid of any glue problem by wetting with water quite thoroughly some plywood, particle board or hardboard or similar, to simulate the PVA glue but without it being sticky and trapping the grass particles, while also allowing the static electricity to be conducted all over the area (water conducts electricity, dry wood etc.won't). To be absolutely sure, dissolve a little salt in the water-salty water is a good conductor of electicity.) Put the nail (the one with the wire) into the wet bit.

Then put the sieve, filled with some grass, over the area, as close to the wet board as you can, shake and let the particles fall. If there is a strong enough field they should stand upright as they touch the wetness. If they do, you have enough electric field. If they don't, it would seem that it is not strong enough for some reason.

I have never used a static grass applicator so am just using logic (not always a good guide!)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Steve,thank you ,for your help as well, :rolleyes: you know i think you hit the nail on the head o_O, the grass did seen to be laying down when ,it come out off the ,tea strainer ,

but that of adding a little salt ,could real help as well ,It very good to think about it in a logical way, as you are right, so maybe its all the strainer, having ,

too big off holes, or the static field has not build up to make it fall,upright when shaken, so they all sideways ?

I think Richi said to wait a little before using giving time for the static to build up ;) , there is no real reason why it dose not work, or it just wont's to mess up my day :D

J

John Huggins

I fancy a go at making one of them but all i have around the house is a Scalextric Power unit, could i use this.

View attachment 80584

It's 220-240v input and 13.5v DC 10VA output !!!

I think it would help my Dio's no end.

Any help on this subject plz, Thanks in advance

John

P1080697.JPG

Last edited:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi John i did find this link,

http://csxdixieline.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/howto-static-grass-applicator.html,

which uses a ion generator, from Oakley Electronic ,the first link,

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=915&osCsid=7c3392ee87948e3f4704323c16a7c6c2'>http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=915&osCsid=7c3392ee87948e3f4704323c16a7c6c2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OATLEY-ELECTRONICS-IONB2-GRASSINTOR-HIGH-VOLTAGE-MODULE-/111315647238?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item19eaedfb06

i did find these one on evilbay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X12V+DC+Ion+generator&_nkw=12V+DC+Ion+generator&_sacat=0&_from=R40

but dont know if they do the same as this type,

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=915

which I think would have a lot more power, just saw the fly swatter in the shop yesterday, as I,m waiting for the part ,

hope this is a help

Last edited by a moderator:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi monica I have just thought of something else , the nail/pin needs to be in the pool of glue ie pva to complete the circuit asit completes the "field" circuit , ;)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I fancy a go at making one of them but all i have around the house is a Scalextric Power unit, could i use this.View attachment 80519

It's 220-240v input and 13.5v DC 10VA output !!!

I think it would help my Dio's no end.

Any help on this subject plz, Thanks in advance

John
All the elecrostatic generators that I have seen use something like two AA batteries (=3 volts) as a power source. 13.5 V would very probably damage it beyond repair.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen a couple of videos on You Tube where he made one from a fly zapper. It was rather easy by the look of it. I might have a go at one, if I can find one of those zapper things in a pound shop some time.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Steve / Steve

thank you, for stopping by yes I did , that but come to think off it, my base is dirt, so ever so using 50/50, maybe it is not a good conductor,

so its not , make the best of static fields, ? and as Steve ask what the grass was doing, it was laying down, at the start so

it could not be pulled up,

I have it running off a 9v battle which it should be able to handle it,

but it dose lift it some way that is better than just plane flat flock :rolleyes:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am confused when you are saying that it lifts the grass a bit and that the grass was laying down.

This to me sounds like some thing is amiss.

In the video I saw the grass was in the sieve thing and shaken down onto the charged glue so it landed "standing up". He to did have the sieve quite close to the base.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Ian, oh Im sorry i do that,:oops:

thats the whole point why I,m disappointed with it,I do as in the video, put down my 50/50 water glue, put a pin in it, hold the

thing over the wet area, and then shake it, but a lot off the grass lays down,say sideways not standing up as it should,

or the holes are to big in the strainer , so it can fall wrong, dose that make sense ? ;)