Subaru 98 Monte Carlo - beginners recovery attempt.

D

dougie

Have had a mare with the decals, I mind having one earlier when I started this. I wasted all the spares practising and got no where but eventually I got a couple to work. I think I need to soak the tamiya decals for near a minute then leave them sitting on the desk for about 5-10 mins, seems totally mental but at that point they actually slide without breaking. I now have a broken one and 2 reasonable ones on the dash- it should now be ready for a bit of dry brushing over vents etc.. but do I gloss first, dry brush then matt gloss? There are gloss, matt and semi gloss paints here so I'm not sure.

I could do with advice thanks!

View media item 8252

D

dougie

That's the helmet holder and the electrics plate installed along with the door panels. I have the roll cage drying from a coat of primer, just deciding whether or not to fill and sand the wee pin marks on the top of the cage where you won't see them. (conscience says yes but the condition of the rest of the model says no!) Still think the seats don't look good as the scale of the fibres is off but it would have been ok for carpets in a normal motor. They still look better than they did before though.

As you can see I have also painted the inside of the windows - a tiny tiny touch up may be required on one bit but its barely noticeable.

View media item 8255

View media item 8254

View media item 8253

D

dougie

Painted the shell last night, partially!!! I was in the model shop yesterday and picked up a few things and decided I had enough Mica blue left to do the body.

Wrong!

I have run out of paint with only the tiniest bit at the bottom of the doors showing through from the previous mist coat. DAMNIT! forgetting that - there was not enough to get a full on good 'wet coat' of which I need about 2-3 apparently. There is now some orange peel because of that but - overall I'm really happy with it for a first paint job on a body.

I may make it to the shop this afternoon, my technique and spray order are to blame but I have learned a good bit just painting this model so far, I wasted a lot of paint spraying smaller individual parts - next time they will be mounted on foam and sprayed together if using a spray can. too much waste if not.

On the positive side - my dust extractor I threw together works a treat. I put it on an hour before going in to the shed to paint and even with the paint booth running not a single dust particle is obvious in the paint- I can see 2 small possible run marks but nothing else so I am really really happy with that outcome as its the biggest thing to me to get clean paint on the body of cars!!!

Cheers to anyone reading.

View media item 8256

View media item 8265

View media item 8264

View media item 8263

View media item 8262

View media item 8261

View media item 8260

View media item 8259

View media item 8258

View media item 8257

T

Tibbs

Its looking good Dougie...... You seem to be the biggest critic of your work, like me, which is no bad thing, i learnt more from my first build than i would have by asking a thousand questions...... This is a great thread for me, as its the scooby next for me..... But not in mica blue:p..... Looking forward to more

D

dougie

Cool, will be good to see one in a different colour. The build quality seems good and if you have a better approach than me it should go together easy. Look forward to seeing yours

D

dougie

Final paint coats on and a Gloss on straight after...

It was perfect apart from ONE SINGLE DUST STRAND that just had to land on the bonnet!!! you may not really see it once I flatten and polish the top coat, being really shiny the other reflections might just mask it. well it works on my real car. Someone bashed the wing and door and the car is so shiny after a wash I didn't even notice and once I knew it was there it was very hard to see at a distance.

Anyway the body is now drying ready for the decals in a few days and I'm mega nervous about those.

View media item 8282View media item 8281View media item 8280View media item 8279View media item 8278View media item 8277

T

Tibbs

Didnt want to start a new thread for this question... And as your building one, thought this a good place for it...... Was just having a look at my scoobie, and dry fitting a few bits, was trying to put the disc brakes onto the uprights, and it shows them being fitted together with poly caps....... Now then, what on earth are poly caps.... And do they come with the kit?.... Cos i cant find them if they do:confused:

D

dougie

\ said:
Didnt want to start a new thread for this question... And as your building one, thought this a good place for it...... Was just having a look at my scoobie, and dry fitting a few bits, was trying to put the disc brakes onto the uprights, and it shows them being fitted together with poly caps....... Now then, what on earth are poly caps.... And do they come with the kit?.... Cos i cant find them if they do:confused:
Yes the poly caps are 4 small tubes that go inside the struts behind the discs. You don't use glue so the wheel stud just pushes in and the wheels spins freely. It's like an interference fit. I can't see mine now to see the colour sorry

T

Tibbs

\ said:
Yes the poly caps are 4 small tubes that go inside the struts behind the discs. You don't use glue so the wheel stud just pushes in and the wheels spins freely. It's like an interference fit. I can't see mine now to see the colour sorry
Cheers dude, will have another look tomorrow, there was no sprue number for them.... But they must be there somewhere:rolleyes:

D

dougie

\ said:
Cheers dude, will have another look tomorrow, there was no sprue number for them.... But they must be there somewhere:rolleyes:
Mate I'm thinking back like 6 years bit I think they were in a small Bag... Or separate. I have another Subaru in the shed. Ill have a look in the kit for you after my cheese toast and the news haha

D

dougie

\ said:
Have a look inside the bag with the tyres ;) ;) ;)

2 Tamiya car kits, both have this set up :cool:

D

dougie

Quick update just before the completion thread...

The Decals were a nightmare, they kept splitting, falling apart and flaking off the paper. It says use tepid water. I tried all sorts, leaving them to soak for a while/not long, taking them out and wating ages/doing them quick, using microsol... in the end I cracked it (along with a few last broken decals!!)

If you have old problematic Tamiya decals...
TRY PUTTING THEM IN VERY HOT WATER!!! SAFETY FIRST THOUGH- TAKE CARE, NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY AS TO WHAT YOU TRY!!! ;)

My decals came away perfectly in water that was really really hot from my espresso hot water tap. Fresh water for every decal as small quantities of water cool rapidly in a small tray. Unfortunately I had ruined a good few by this point, using up all the spares to get a working method so the finished body has a few mistakes - I am really gutted but I am also really happy as I learned so much doing the body on this.

Basic Underside (some clear bits to see detail - this has been left as is, from about 7 years ago!)

View media item 8292

cockpit pre - Photo etched Sabelt Harnesses

View media item 8293

Shiny (but with slightly affected decals from too much clear too quick - this seemed to set in after 3-4 days as it was not like this initially)

View media item 8297View media item 8296View media item 8295View media item 8294

General Car pic!

View media item 8291

First Name
Marc
Very nice. I have had a mare with one of the large decals on my Le man's car. So I'm thinking about what I'm going to do

D

dougie

\ said:
Very nice. I have had a mare with one of the large decals on my Le man's car. So I'm thinking about what I'm going to do
Yeah I feel your pain, I have a ruined one on one side and missing one on the top and a wrong number one on the bonnet. From a distance all ok but annoy Me a lot. You can order more but I would try a spare in the really hot water as I suggested above. Put it in for about 10-15 secs and take out and leave to sit for 30 secs roughly. Really helps to have the surface glossed, sanded and polished with microsol on it. They just glide on. Such a difference to putting them in Warm water etc... But like I said be careful and try a spare haha