supermarie spitfire dio

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As far as tips for the aircraft build part, there were several people on here that all build that kit at the same time. It is quite an amusing set of posts....

The pen looks good to me. As far as spraying snow goes, I think that there are other more prolific dio builders on here to help with that one. I would probably go the baking powder side of the fence.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi there,that's a challenging kit. Several of us did indeed build them as a sort of unofficial group masochism session! Here's my build thread if you want a laugh. Plenty of advice from the other masochists in there too.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/11707-yet-another-spitfire.html

The biggest single issue that I think we all had is the twisted nose,I can see it in your second photo. You need to figure out a way of straightening that enough to make the cowling panels fit. I did a sort of compromise bodge. I also never got the fin vertical,there is a sort of gentle twist about my whole model but it looks okay if you look too closely.

I cheated and posed mine in flight!

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh wow, I remember this one. If you search the forum, I think there was about 4 or maybe 5 being built at the same time. We all frequently discussed the latest problem we had just found. But, at the end of the day it can be built into a nice looking model. Stick with it, it will turn out alright.

Steve's little cheat was to pose his in flight. My little cheat was to pose mine with the engine on display, hence no need to worry about the twisted nose !

Good luck,

Colin M........

W

wellsyman

thanks ian m...and stona one problem i want the engine showing grr ... i think am going too flow this model me and putty dont get a long as seeing yours god think i need to think off my options

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In all fairness the builds that where done all came out rather well. Just go slowly at it and dry fit everything!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, try this for your snow.....

Get a plant spray, set it to mist and lightly spray where you want the snow (Don't over do it) Then get some white polyfilla powder in a sieve and hold over the damp area. then gently tap the sides of the sieve. Hey presto, snow. The harder you tap the thicker the snow!...Sorted.

Cheers,

Ron

W

wellsyman

thanks every body i want this done as my next model it a german seaplane cant wait to start tht one cheers steve

D

delmonteman

Best of luck mate, it's a bugger to get things to fit but I'm quite happy with mine. Just needs patience and the ability to put it down, go for a fag, beer, drive, scream into a pillow, etc. and then go back to it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Best of luck mate, it's a bugger to get things to fit but I'm quite happy with mine. Just needs patience and the ability to put it down, go for a fag, beer, drive, scream into a pillow, etc. and then go back to it.
Probably a good idea to put the cat out......then you can't kick the poor sod!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wellsyman

Lol i think ive have brought the wrong kit is the kit that bad

D

delmonteman

The only real troubles I had was the joining of fuselage to wing and that the nose was a bit warped. I was still more than happy with the price I paid for it. Fairly certain I invented at least three new swear words while building too!

W

wellsyman

Lol well going to start the on the plane today i will take pic and update everybody later . Does any one know where i can get oil drums in 1.32 or 1.35. and what else could i put around this diorama cheers steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some suggestions,but know idea where to find them,most can be easily scratch built. Tarpaulin covers/heaters,wing walk ladders and chocks.

Or here,on Malta,less formal chocks a.k.a.rocks! BTW notice the four canonn armament.

A trolley accumulator and some ammunition boxes.

And,if all else fails,a dog. Sgt Hyde's dog pictured here was called Dingo. Hyde was from Trinidad but Dingo doesn't look like an Aussie to me!

One thing surprisingly rare to see,except around accidents,is fire extinguishers. I've no idea why. This is obviously a Hurricane rather than a Spitfire but they were taking no chances.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wellsyman

Thanks everybody just got a tamiya 1.35 ww2 us field maintenance yard. It come with compressor jacks oil barrels engine crane tool boxes table gas cylinder cart welding torch. What do you think?

W

wellsyman

On the side of the box it say that the crane is for a 2.12-ton 6*6 cargo truck. Take it i cant use it on the plane?

B

Boldman

I've got that set its got some nice accessories, the ladder and table will be useful and various spanners etc. I used part sof that set in my Austin Tilly Diorama earlier this year.

There is also a PE set of hand tools by Aber (1/35 Aber PE - Hand Tools | eBay) in 1/35 that might come in handy. I've got the equivalent set in 1/48 that I bought when I was doing my Battle of Britain diorama but never used it as the parts were WAY too small to even consider cutting off the sprue!