Takom Bismarck secondary turret

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Chris

They were 5.9 inch and I think about 24/25000 yrds. Will have a look about the reason for the range finder on only these??

Thanks for your kind words
Certainly allow for independent firing if comms with the gunnery officer were lost!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Maybe they were doing alignment checks on the barrel or cleaning the barrel with no tampion? I used to watch the gunners doing such checks on the 4.5's on a couple of the ships I was on!!
They do not appear to have the ships crest or anything on them, just a bung of sorts lol. Found a picture of a main turret, again only one fitted!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
They do not appear to have the ships crest or anything on them, just a bung of sorts lol. Found a picture of a main turret, again only one fitted!
The ones with crests on would be ceremonial. (Showing off when in home port or official visits). In war time I imagine they have plain tampions in case lost over the side. I have also seen canvass tampions fitted so that rounds can be fired through the softer fabric if attacked by surprise!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The ones with crests on would be ceremonial. (Showing off when in home port or official visits). In war time I imagine they have plain tampions in case lost over the side. I have also seen canvass tampions fitted so that rounds can be fired through the softer fabric if attacked by surprise!!
The photos are of him being fitted out and loading with supplies. Just out of interest will have a look at my other Bismarck stuff

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
1683813036062.png

Have this picture of his commissioning, would have thought if there were tampions with the ships crest they would have been used then but they seem just plain bungs!

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
View attachment 481334

Have this picture of his commissioning, would have thought if there were tampions with the ships crest they would have been used then but they seem just plain bungs!
So glad you posted this image Bob, I was just about to show my lack of knowledge about ship fittings and info and ask what a 'Tampion' was, ...everyday is a school day... ;) :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Finishing the turret before I ruin sorry attack the Hood!!

Almost ready for priming, got a bit to do on the roof mounted boxes and the dreaded seams on the blast bags.

Added the rear ladder rungs and a shed load of PE clips. Not a clear drawing in the Bismarck anatomy book, they appear to be part of the brackets holding the blast bags in place, they might have to be twisted to release the brackets

20230527_142330.jpg20230527_142341.jpg