Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II Colour modulation technique

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just incredible Patrick. Your attention to detail is commendable. The chipping and rusting blows me away. Well done.

Steve

M

mobear

me thinks its photo shopped (you really went to an outside museum took pic of tank deliberately made the track wrong and cut out all the back groung images and hey presto!!! a bloody lovely painted and weathered tank)fantastic mate really inspired work

mobear

D

dubster72

@ Steve - many thanks mate, there's quite a few hours & about a gallon of Optrex gone into doing the chipping!

@ Ole - haha, cheers you nutter! I'd like to Photoshop that flipping track - I thought I'd learn to live with it, but now it's bugging me real bad! Hope your arm is better soon guy.

Thanks again

Patrick

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
dont do anything drastic with that track Patrick. I would never have noticed. I would sit on it for a few weeks and hopefully by then you wont notice it either. Your likely to do far more damage trying to rectify it than if it were left.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

i can understand that mate,wife says i have OCD aswell lol nothing is ever good enough once i build something,and she says we are only human lol.Still a gorgeous tank never the less(buy an eye patch)

mobear

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb:welldone: there is a danger of over chipping as i have done in the past but you've nailed it here just right and i love the leather look of the ring in the hatch as well and like how the comparison between the two tanks top work patrick

geegad

D

dubster72

Thanks John, its always hard to know when to say ' stop!'

The leather ring is actually a rubber grommet! I'd seen the Tasca 1/24 P2 had this & so I tried to replicate it!

Cheers

Patrick

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
You did a great job replicating it Patrick it really looks the part

John

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Michael
Not an armour guy at all Patrick but this is a really interesting thread and I can see the effect is worthy of all your efforts, really well done with this I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

M

mobear

you know i have been looking for those darn leaf springs everywhere for my atkinson,can i have them back now?yes worked on lorries for the council when i first left school,and they are defo the ones i missplaced that was bad winter lol,they are very well done(as you may have noticed i keep going back to look at this one lol

mobear

First Name
Aaron
Tracks were put on tanks the wrong way often, I dont have any pics to support this but i HAVE seen them lol.

D

dubster72

@ Michael thank you so much for your kind words. There's not much to do now, just the on-vehicle tools & then some crew figures and a little vignette base.

@ Ole, you can gladly have the springs if they'll fit!

@ Aaron it's a shame you don't have photographic evidence mate! I could use it to help me get over the annoyance of putting them on wrongly!

Cheers all

Patrick

C

CDW

I've just had a quick look through the axis forum where i saw a couple of pictures a while ago showing wrecked german tanks with one or both tracks on backwards. (and half tracks with the front tyres on backwards).

I've run out of time and concentration ability at the mo (theres over 900 posts) but i did see a couple .... honest guvnor :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Thanks for looking Colin! Is that the Axis History forum? I've just googled it & there's a lot there!

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

\ said:
Thanks for looking Colin! Is that the Axis History forum? I've just googled it & there's a lot there!Cheers

Patrick
Yes mate Axis history, i went on there to get ideas for the Panther ... there's over 900 posts in the wrecked/captured panther section alone.... literally thousands of photos but i'm sure i saw a couple of "track enigmas" when looking through, one was around half way through but i couldn't find it again today sorry.

P

pneupack

Have not been on here for a bit work gets in the way : ). Nice work mate, love the paint job and the chipping, your work is always of a high standard a joy to follow.

Robert

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi there Patrick

Nicely done mate. The Panzer II looks great and I think your take on colour modulation has worked well. A word of advice on the Tiger muzzle brake - gun flash tends not to blacken the outside of a muzzle brake. About the only time you'd see a blackened muzzle brake is if the entire thing had been on fire. I'm only saying this for future ref as I use to do the same thing myself.

Cheers

Paul

D

dubster72

Thanks Paul & you're totally right about the muzzle blackening, the Tiger is actually my 1st ever kit from 3 years ago that I'm updating! So now I've learnt more I'll hopefully avoid past mistakes!

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No worries, it's how we all learn, and it's an ongoing process for us all. You do some terrific stuff Patrick and it's going to get even better.

All the best

Paul

B

Buttonman

Tiger's had opossing tracks 'built a Tamiya tiger 1 late and the instructions actualy made the point of putting the tracks on opposite sides? Don't know why but if you start looking at tigers in action or musiums you'll see it.

Martin