Tamiya 1/350 IJN Destroyer Kagero

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes I am still here!!

With a lot on my mind I really need a hopefully quickish build to get the mojo up and running!

Plan to hopefully do more IJN ships!

So off evilbay Tamiya's lovely Kagero. Usual quality, not over the top and great instructions.

20231018_161843.jpg20231018_162012.jpg20231018_161927.jpg20231018_161919.jpg
Not building as water line so lower and upper hull plus 3 X decks in place.

However went for a coffee and glue had crept under the tape, bugger
20231018_161944.jpg
Have sanded but still more to do, not happy

Regarding mum, cannot visit as her ward is closed due to a outbreak of sickness and the runs. Waiting for the hospital infection control team to allow it to open. Mum's had it and had not eaten for 3 days, so worried over this now

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI BOYO yes we are to sorry about your mum an hope she gets a bit better as i know she has her probs oh dear an yes jap destroyer looks good an your little boo boo hardley noticable so keep this build comin bob an nice to see you on here again
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry your still going through it mate! Hope that you mum is doing well.

Not enough IJN ships in here, looking forward to this one.
As for the glue boo boo, wet sanding and filler, rinse and repeat.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry about your mum Bob. Kagero looks good so far.
Pete
Thanks Pete, appreciated
HI BOYO yes we are to sorry about your mum an hope she gets a bit better as i know she has her probs oh dear an yes jap destroyer looks good an your little boo boo hardley noticable so keep this build comin bob an nice to see you on here again
chrisb
Hi Chris, just messaged you, thank you!
Sorry about your mum Bob, but glad to see you posting something :thumb2:
Thank you Tim, at least you all know I am breathing lol
Sorry your still going through it mate! Hope that you mum is doing well.

Not enough IJN ships in here, looking forward to this one.
As for the glue boo boo, wet sanding and filler, rinse and repeat.
Hi Ian
Thanks for the advice!
I now have a few Fujimi kits in stock, I blame a sale in the UK stockist and interest free on PayPal

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Started on the funnels and bridge which also has a pe deck. Now there's many, many seams.

20231020_165431.jpg

There's four in total plus other parts and of course the dreaded funnels.

Along with pe, seams are my biggest dread lol. Was going to try the superglue method? But worried about destroying the what I assume are railings for standing on or communication tubes?

Could also try Mr surfacer?

Does anybody have a better idea, sorry to be missing in action then back on the bum again lol

To be fair the newer kits are now coming with many superstructure in one piece, so I assume slide moulding?

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally i would use tape to mask off the sensitive areas when filling, and again to protect the sensitive areas when sanding. I would just use normal filler on the seams.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Personally i would use tape to mask off the sensitive areas when filling, and again to protect the sensitive areas when sanding. I would just use normal filler on the seams.
Sorry about your mum. It's the feeling of not being able to do anything that is so stressful.
Ship is coming on. Sometimes scraping a seam with a sharp blade before filling makes later sanding easier.
Thanks both, things I should know! But StuG's do not have seams lol so been lazy in my builds and I still rush but slowly slowing down!

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bit more work on the bits and bobs

Main turrets, the barrels with moulded blast bags come separate so easy to paint the bags and then fit to the turrets plus the torpedo tubes with the dreaded long lance torpedoes.

Rear superstructure done, however like the bridge I have dropped a boo boo with the seams. Thanks to Ian I have only now discovered that you need two types of glues, thin for most work but thicker like contacta for seams to ensure its oozes out for a sanding to ensure a seamless finish!
20231023_160033.jpg20231023_160003.jpg

The kit comes with two simple jigs to make mast construction easier
20231023_160111.jpg20231023_155930.jpglearning a lot, simple things like using sanding sticks which were too rough so now using 400 / 800 plus very smooth. So not damaging parts by aggressive sanding!

Not sure what to do with the bridge as i used my normal very thin glue for a neat finish, however useless for seams!!

Not far off priming
Bit more happy now, thanks Ian!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Only thing I can suggest for that bridge is old style filler (not acrylic). Build up the filler slowly then dress it back with a sanding stick to smooth out the step. Might have to replace that raised bit around the bridge with plastic rod though Bob, because you will lose some when cleaning up.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry Bob, missed the missed the start of this.

Hope you manage to sort the seams out.

Andrew

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Only thing I can suggest for that bridge is old style filler (not acrylic). Build up the filler slowly then dress it back with a sanding stick to smooth out the step. Might have to replace that raised bit around the bridge with plastic rod though Bob, because you will lose some when cleaning up.
Thanks Tim, I have Tamiya filler, so will have a go. There's the top of the bridge to add yet, I have yet to fit the various bridge equipment such as binoculars on stands etc.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
youre gettin there Bob matey looks good an glad you are sortin out them seams
chrisb
Cheers Chris, been a long learning curve but getting there now and more confidence. Mainly thanks to the help and support from the chaps
Sorry Bob, missed the missed the start of this.

Hope you manage to sort the seams out.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, been up hill and I blame the seamless Stug lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looked at the Tammy Kagero several times, and I still can't undersrand why this model costs roughly twice the price of the Tamiya 1/350
Fletcher..........................
Dave
I agree, it's sister ship Yukikaze is about £58 plus. They are newer kits and very nicely moulded but, you can get the Hasegawa Yukikaze cheaper and the bridge structure is one piece so no awkward seams, well for me lol.

I find it strange that there's not a lot of IJN ships and the only makers are Japanese, Hasegawa and Fujimi I have bought a few of these but only because the UK stockist had a very good sale.

Cannot understand why Tamiya have apparently walked away from 1/350? A new tooled KGV would sell plus Prince of Wales etc.

Heard a story that the Chinese gov do not approve of Chinese companies doing IJN ships. Apparently Veryfire had a row when they did the armoured carrier Tahio? But Trumpeter did the monster Yamato. There's surely a market for the superb IJN heavy cruisers for one. Aoshima do them but hard to find.