Tamiya 1:350 Japanese Battleship Musashi Build Thread

R

rjwood_uk

so barry, i am painting the hull jn grey....what colour should i pime it with? i have white or grey. which one would be best?

got to give the whole lot a wash first!

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Guys,

The attached pictures were taken of our decks this morning. Unfortunately difficult to get a true picture with the sun so bright and the deck such a light colour.

I also took one under cover so that the colour might come out a bit more.

Although to be realistic the saturation should be increased a little the main point for me is the consistency of the colour of the wood from one plank to the next. The only exeption to this is when it gets wet when teak takes on a dramatically darker hue as in the last picture. Have a play around with the hue and saturation to see the colour show through a bit more.

Anyway just to generate some ideas for you and give you some food for thought. Ships wooden decking generally looks pretty similar to this but age and type of ship play a part. Decks get more discoloured with age and neglect but generally are quite an even shade throughout. You would find darker colouration around well used access areas or around machinery such as windlasses and capatans.

View attachment 13903

View attachment 13904

View attachment 13905

View attachment 13906

View attachment 13907

View attachment 13908

View attachment 13909

Picture0007.jpg

Picture0009.jpg

Picture0012.jpg

Picture0013.jpg

Picture0010.jpg

Picture0011.jpg

Picture0015.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

thanks alot richard, thats great! now just to deside how to do it.

so any tips on what colour primer

and also how to make a poll???

B

Bunkerbarge

You would have to ask John about setting up a Poll I'm afraid.

Although a darker primer would offer a better base for a darker finish colour there is a sound argument for using a lighter one to help highlight imperfections in the hull when you rub down and fill.

If you think the quality of the hull is good then just go for the darker primer. If the hull needs a bit of work on it first then maybe do a coat of white, do your filling and rubbing then a coat of grey before the top coat.

If you are looking at a purely static model, the hull is perfect and a dark colour to start with you may even consider missing out the primer. I didn't bother with a primer on the U-Boat. I think the paint has a good enough adhesion and it is all going to be protected with an overcoat of flat clear when it is complete.

R

rjwood_uk

nice picture of the bismark for you there richard!!

the one of the two u-boats shouting over to each other is quite funny.

nice site, thanks nigel!

N

Nigel.D

Nice pics Richard but thats a very posh cruise liner not a battleship !!! But to add a bit here i know i havent lived my life at sea and walked many a deck (shaded ones lol) but looking at a lot of colour ww2 pics of battleships the deck colours did not seem that uniform also the effect i think looks much more convincing on a model rather than a plain surface

see

http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/us_navy/alf

I think in the end its like aircraft colours you know a seaharrier should be extra dark sea grey but if you painted it in that colour it looks soooo wrong Also i got to admit i like a little of the emphasis that has been given to the deck on the model to me it seems more real!!!! :smiling:

N

Nigel.D

Rest of that site is just as good the quality is incredible

R

rjwood_uk

ok thanks alot nigel, is there anyway you can dumb down your way to do decking a bit for me? (just explain it a bit better) i spoze i am going to just have to decide when it comes to it!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Some excellent pictures there Nigel, Thanks for the link.

N

Nigel.D

Richard

the tecnique im on about is to

1 sand off the plank detail on the deck

2 paint the deck a light teak colour

3 cut some masking tape approx 1" long lengths (a lot)

4 now using a steel rule and a craft knife cut the strips of tape into lengths of the planks thickness you will get 10 to 15 stips from a 1" peice of tape

5 now stick some of the tape down on the deck as if simulating planks (youl need quite a lot just make sure that they are straight and arranged all over the deck not just in one part)

6 now add a small amount of brown to your original teak colour and respray the deck.

when dry add further plank tapes to more areas darken paint slightly again and spray

7 what happens is you will gradually be masking different planking colours onto the deck yu just add more tape to the untaped sections then spray again and again

8 you will need to do this approx 8 times the final time should see all the deck covered with tape apart from the last section you just sprayed

9 when dry lift the tapes up and yu will have multi shaded planking

10 now you need to tone it down and blend it ever so lightly

11 sparay a very thin cream mist coat over the deckings surface just enought so you can see still see the planking shades quite clerly

12 now when dry a quick rub over with scotchbrite and finally a matt varnish please use a uratheane varnish as its tinted a amber colour this helps even out any major differences to the deck shading

hope it helps if not give us a ring tomorrow

M

magpie

I love all the u-boat pics on that site! Very good for checking details etc on our own versions. Thanks for that.

Jason

R

rjwood_uk

ok, getting off the subject of decking (i will think more about it when it comes to it)

i have washed all the parts, nearly all dry.

the hull is in pretty good condition, just had to remove a few excess bits of plastic. ready for spraying tomorrow, so no need for a primer at all you do think richard?

i only have a light grey primer anyway, and seein as its a greyish colour going over it would that be ok if i do prime?

i was told to wash the p/e parts just like the plastic parts.where the water has dried it has left brown speckles. it is no problem as they will be painted over but just wondering what this was. surley its not rust? didnt think brass rusted??!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard, if it is shiny I would rub it lightly with some fine wet and dry paper (Halfords if you don't have any) and put the top coat straight on.

The specs on the PE are probably some sort of marks from water treatment. UK water contains all sorts of things like fluoride which could react with the brass. You are correct though, brass does not rust.

R

rjwood_uk

ok thanks alot richard.

what is wrong with the plastic bein shiny before spraying???

P

Pogo

You used to be able to buy something called etching fluid. It was meant to be used for brass fittings (Real ones) before they were over painted to give them extra protection. I havesome in a bottle somewhere .It is a clear blue and cleans the brass off.Brasso wold do the same but this stuff soprt of primes the brass as well.

R

rjwood_uk

oh did richard mean if the brass is shiny not tha plasitc?

in which case it is shiny...