Tamiya 1:350 Japanese Battleship Musashi Build Thread

P

Pogo

im not sure but i used to clean the brass off with washing up liquid before painting.

R

rjwood_uk

well thats what i have done and its left brown splodges, even though i rinced it off. so as richard says its probably something in the water.

im sure he means use w&d paper on the brass as i have never known of sanding down a model (unless its been filled or something)

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard,

I was referring to lightly rubbing down the model hull to help the paint key to the surface.

If the finish is very shiny the paint won't adhere as well as if you give a light rub down with a fine wet and dry first.

This may also help to highlight any small imperfections that you may decide to fill before finally painting.

P

Pogo

sometimes you geta very shiny plastic.that does need very fine grade wet and dry 1200+ paper .One is called flour paper because the plastic when rubbed down comes off like flour.a finish that is too shiny wont take the paint well.

R

rjwood_uk

its not overly shiny, and i have P1200C paper so should i give it a rub down, il get a pic to try and show how shiny it is tomorrow!!

R

rjwood_uk

well i rubbed it down, gave it another wash just in case, got the props and rudders on (after rubbing them down as well) sprayed it...and ran out of paint half way though!!!

dam!!! got to wait till tuesday till i can finish it off but i am proud of the side i have done. best bit of spraying iv ever done so far!!!...nice even cote!!

anyway, il get some pics up on wednesday once i have sprayed and its all dry.

the scale of this prject is only just starting to "sink" in (no pun intended!) the more i look at all the parts and all the p/e parts as well!!!

should be well worth it though!!!

N

Nigel.D

I know what your saying mate my tamiya enterprise is a long term ongoing project. the pe set is enourmous but on ships of this scale I think deserve that extra bit of attention. By the way the marks on the pe are nothing to worry about and cant be seen when painted

R

rjwood_uk

ok thanks for that nigel.

does anyone know what the musashi's props would have been made out of? brass maybe?? if so does anyone know if they would have been painted marron like the hull below the waterline (like the kit tells you to do) or would they have been done a different colour or left plane? (also for the prop shafts???)

B

Bunkerbarge

Propellers have for a long time been phosphor bronze. This looks basically like brass but not quite as bright.

Shafts, if they are external to the hull, would be either stainless steel or certainly a high carbon steel.

R

rjwood_uk

and would not have been painted the the same colour as the hull like the kit says???

B

Bunkerbarge

They could well have been painted. You would have to research that to be sure for the specific vessel.

I would be surprised at the props being painted though. The paint wouldn't last long anyway with the erosive effects of the water.

The shafts would be more likely to be painted.

R

rjwood_uk

hummm. well its just every picture of a model of it has them painted marron like the lower hull but to be honest i dont think it looks quite right.

i might just go with painting them dark copper for the props(i have copper paint so i can just tone it down a bit)? and metalic grey shafts (yes they are exterior)

as for research there are NO colour pics of the musashi, and even black and white there are no pictures of it in a dry dock as the building of it was a complete secret as they were banned from making any battleships, when it was launched they even blocked off half the city on the opposite side of the bay so nobody saw it!!!! and i cant find any info on it what so ever!!

thanks alot richard

B

Bunkerbarge

If that's the case then no-one can prove you wrong!

I would go for your brass colour for the props as you suggest and take your pick with the shafts. I would think they could well be painted the hull colour though. As I say, no one can say otherwise.

P

Pogo

Why would the shafts be painted? What would they be made from ?My grandad was a pattern maker and engineeer. During WW2 he was contracted to a firm in Birkenhead Merseyside Making propellers for ships.They were made of phospher Bronze.I have a minature prop that was given to all the engineers after the war finished . It is supposed to be an ashtray but was never used for that.It says "For a war job well done ". I'll post a piccy tomorrow of it.

B

Bunkerbarge

Pogo, as I said earlier props would be phosphor bronze and shafts would normally be made of stainless steel or high carbon steel. They may well paint the shafts though for additional protection, especially as stainless steels in those days were not quite as good as the ones we get nowadays.

A common practise nowadays is to wrap them in fibreglass and then paint them.

P

Pogo

Thats what i wondered .Theres no point in painting the shaft to camouflage it as it would be hidden from view. under the stern of the ship.I thought they used stainless and HIgh carbon.

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard, if you do a search you should find, as I did, that there is actually a lot of referrence in other forums on IJN vessels and thier colour schemes. There are a lot of unknowns but there are also a lot of usefull information.

Read through this thread to see what I mean:

www.j-aircraft.com/faq/naval_ship_colors.htm

The Yamato seems to be catered for a lot better with a couple of good books available, one in the Anatomy of the Ship series, but there is also a lot of information that would be relevent to the Musashi.

A usefull site to have a look at is:

www.shipcamouflage.com

They also have a lot of reference books such as the Yamato one in the Classic Warship Publishing series Number 25

I don't think you are ever going to find a definitive colour scheme for such a vessel as not only are there differing opinions of the colours used but the ships were actually painted differrent colours at differrent times.

Have a good search, there is stuff out there to give you usefull ideas and after all part of the enjoyment of building a model is the research.

R

rjwood_uk

thanks for that richard, that 1st thread is quite interesting about the decking! but what they say about the yamato (no idea if the same with the musashi) is that it had a "metalic" sheen to it. surley that would not be too good for como as it would stand out like a lighthouse from miles away if a even a glimps of sun got on it????

its a pitty the musashi didnt live longer to be more documented!!!

im going to have to do quite a bit of research i think. personaly i think that tamiya's jn grey is quite good and does look quite authentic after looking at many other jap warships, but the forum may be correct about tamiyas dull red being too maroony, but then one history of the musashi i have ready says it was painted a maroony colour!

P

Pogo

Scimitar Propellers

Heres the pic i promised last night. This was presentedto my grandad at the end ogf the war. Its made from Manganese Bronze, or rather the real propellers were.

View attachment 13982

mo640.jpg