Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
Notice you are using colour coats paints. I have just invested in some (my first go with enamels since the Stone Age as well!) could you please let me know how you get on with these, especially if you plan to use them in an airbrush.
Also, you have a Woodhunter deck, I have used one on my Dreadnought build, laid the forecastle deck first and it started to lift after a couple of days!!! ended up having to spot glue it down again with CA. Had to do this with All the decks. Have you used one before? And if so, how did it work out?
Hi, thanks for the reply. Used colour coats on the hull so far, not bad. But so far not 100%. Will continue to use on superstructure.

This us how I use a wood deck ( 2nd time mind ). Firsr I paint the plastic deck by brush with tamiya X 22 varnish, there are others of course. After it dries spray paint the barbettes and hatches. Then fit the deck using wooden dowels, paint brush handles etc to slowly press the deck down, no issues yet.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Tad more done

My PE experience so far is just the basics, sticking doors, hatches etc so for the first time I have attacked one of the kits AA bofors positionS, replacing a lot of plastic for PE.

The kit part
20221211_133427.jpg
Cut the front parts off, added PE shields, rear railings, runners for the gun carriage and tiny gun sites
20221211_133441.jpg20221211_133408.jpg
Can do better but for my first 'big' PE adventure I am reasonably happy. Got another to do so should improve again

Can see why PE is used as this is a big improvement over the kits very basic parts.

Hope it passes muster chaps

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
See, you can do it…….
great work Bob….looks fantastic. It will really add to the refinement of the piece…
Thanks Tim, took a lot of time but thanks to help from you and many others getting there. Found a ca glue I can use and the new tools are very helpful.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim, took a lot of time but thanks to help from you and many others getting there. Found a ca glue I can use and the new tools are very helpful.
Don’t think I helped much mate….my advice was basically stop buying different glues and get on with it. What worked for you was finding the right glue LOL…..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Don’t think I helped much mate….my advice was basically stop buying different glues and get on with it. What worked for you was finding the right glue LOL…..
Oh yes, You did, very simple advice but so helpful! Soaking cocktail sticks in CA before use!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very impressive young Bob and you thought you couldn't do PE :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
Well done and so small .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
VERY well done Bob you the pe man now
Cheers Chris, much more to learn but having all the excellent advice and good tools help. Plus plenty of headache tablets and a close window to scream out off helps!!

Very impressive young Bob and you thought you couldn't do PE :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
Well done and so small .
Thanks John, been a bit of a battle for sure, way to go yet. The PE for the funnels looks fun, not!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
ANY MORE PICS Bob mate as im enjoyin watchin your build ?
chrisb
Here we go, slow but steady, both main battery directors, surprisingly there is no PE for the rear one
20221215_153742.jpg
All 4 secondary directors, got better as I went along and Bofors AA batteries
20221215_152751.jpg
Started adding simple PE shields to bofors, much more to do
20221215_152841.jpg
Spent ages working on the funnel seams, next primer, just hope the dreaded seams have gone!!
20221215_152907.jpg
Working on the huge bridge structure, added a few bits of PE
20221215_152855.jpg
Finally enjoying using PE, at the moment at least!!!
That PE looks so much better that the kit's offering Bob. You have every reason to be pleased
Much appreciated Jim, I agree will bring much needed detail.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Here we go, slow but steady, both main battery directors, surprisingly there is no PE for the rear one
View attachment 469409
All 4 secondary directors, got better as I went along and Bofors AA batteries
View attachment 469410
Started adding simple PE shields to bofors, much more to do
View attachment 469411
Spent ages working on the funnel seams, next primer, just hope the dreaded seams have gone!!
View attachment 469412
Working on the huge bridge structure, added a few bits of PE
View attachment 469413
Finally enjoying using PE, at the moment at least!!!

Much appreciated Jim, I agree will bring much needed detail.
OH Bob mate that bridge looks the dogs brillint work my good freind an pe looks really good an yes i know its difficult to fit but you have managded it very well done boyo keep up the good work as we all will be watchin
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
I really like where this is heading. that is some really nice PE work mate.
Cheers Paul, so far so good, way to go yet, funnels, masts and a complex looking pom pom pe set!
You'll have to change your moniker from Bobthestug to PE Bob.
No way Jim lol, nice of you to say
OH Bob mate that bridge looks the dogs brillint work my good freind an pe looks really good an yes i know its difficult to fit but you have managded it very well done boyo keep up the good work as we all will be watchin
chrisb
Bridge seams need work but looking ok, really must send u that rubber chq!
Excellent work Bob. She’s going to be quite special once she’s finished.
Thanks Tim, more fun to go, not glued fingers together yet!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Today tackled my most complex PE yet, to others a walk in the park lol. One of the ships cranes. Lots of bending, twisting and glueing!

20221223_140040.jpg20221223_140052.jpg20221223_151244.jpg
The Tamiya PE pliers were a god send, really useful tool. Not 100% but big improvement over recent PE stuff, will build the other crane slightly differently.

Not the cleanest but had a headache trying to attach the crane frame and the 2 cables, could not use CA as it would set too quickly so tried PVA. Bit messy.