Tamiya Enamel Vs Humbrol Enamels - Advice needed

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I hope not to upset anyone, but I'm dusting my mod. hat off.........

John (Barking Dog) I'm not interested in who's right or wrong on this thread, but please don't start getting personal. Discuss the subject by all means, but keep it civil and friendly like please?

B

BarkingDog

You are correct. I've thinned Ammo, and AK paints successfully with Mr Color Self Levelling thinner, but not with Tamiyas Lacquer Thinner.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John (BarkingDog), you do make some valid points, I just wanted to point out that there is no black and white answer. It's the same reason that some cellulose thinners work really well when used for joining polystyrene and others don't.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Please. Can this nonsense stop with the insertion of this post!

I'm sure Admin. and other mods don't want to read this kind of stuff, any more than the members on this Forum...........

This is a friendly, and very easy going site, and I for one am going to do my very best to keep it so! 

By all means continue this interesting discussion in a controlled, civil and constructive manner - But please keep it so.

Thanks,

Ron

B

Builder

Mate, Ive only been on the forum for less than a year, and maybe Patrick was wrong maybe he wasnt, but firstly he has been a great help to me on this forum and from what I see a  very well respected member here too and secondly (and more importantly) there is no need for such talk here mate. Ive tried never to be out of line here myself but I think you can make your point without getting personal here. 

I dont know if the information you provided in your posts is correct or not, but your way of conveying it is rude, and thats just not right. Personally mate I think the Forum Admin should give you a warning for this behaviour. 

To Patrick, I will say, mate, people make personal attacks or say stupid things all the time. Don't let it get you down mate, and keep on modelling and posting here on Scale model forums as you are a great contributor here. Trust me, I might be much younger than you in terms of experience but have been in extremely paintful/dangerous situations whilst in the Army, the kind that can never be discussed (and probably will be in more bad situations in the future as well) - a lot worse than people having a go at you. Words are just words, dont let them bother you too much, shrug em off and move on. 

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thank you Ron for putting your mod cap on.
I will only add to the Please keep it civil and leave it at that.

Can we all get back on with the more important things in life. Enjoying the hobby.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have cleaned up the thread for any "unwanted" comments so I hope that the thread still reads ok. 
Right then. Onward.

R

Ray Scheller

I'm reading this post for the first time Ian and for the most part it reads OK. 

Ray

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To get this back on track I think that the main reason there has not been any real feed back is that I believe that the Tamiya Enamels are not available in Europe. I think it is an issue with the lables and EU. Thus not a lot of users.
I can say that Humbrol do an extensive range and that now they have moved production back to the UK they, are once more, great to use. I used to use them all the time but when they went 'bad' (made in China) I went over to Vallejo acrylic.

The good thing with Humbrol enamel is they brush on well, they spray well, they are forgiving and they are tough as boots when dry. Easy to open as well. (never got the tops off screw lid jars after one use!) The colour on the lid is pretty much whats in the tin.

The minus side: They smell, take a long time to dry and are difficult to pour out the tin. A lifting tube works well. (Large drinking straw).

Hope this is of some help.

A lifting tube works well. (Large drinking straw)

I presume you use this like a pipette? put your finger over the top and not in the mouth like a drinking straw.

Tom 

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A drinking straw is okay, definitely with a finger over the end, but I use pipettes. I bought a box of 500 several years ago for the princely sum of £12.50 and am even now barely a quarter of the way down the box. I treat them as disposable, though I will use the same one more than once for the same colour etc., as they cost about 2.5p each.

Cheers

Steve