The new Airfix Typhoon....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The new 1/24 scale Airfix Hawker Typhoon is being released next week apparently. All the reviews suggest this is a great kit to rival the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang and Corsair masterpieces, one reviewer described it as the best aircraft kit produced in any scale.

Though I build in 1/32 I cannot resist this one...

John.... Will you be getting it in? If so any idea about the price you will charge? Maybe I will end up doing more 1/24 otherwise the Typhoon will be rather lonely.......

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
OO birthday present :smiling3: I've been waiting for this

P

Polux

Is this one the model that Airfix produce as a "cutaway"?? (I think this is the name..)(when you see the engine and other parts of the plane)) :oops:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Is this one the model that Airfix produce as a "cutaway"?? (I think this is the name..)(when you see the engine and other parts of the plane)) :oops:
Pretty much the same as the other 1/24 kits but better mate I've just placed my order in the LHS :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Pulux - no the kit is not a 'cut-away' as such it builds to a conventional model but it builds in a way similar to the Zuki-Mura kits (never can remember how to spell ZM...) by which you build up the internal detail in a similar way to how the aircraft was built. This does mean that if someone wants to leave panels off you get lots of detail. The reason you might think it is a cut-away are the pictures of the build Airfix produced than have panels left off displaying internal detail.

Here is a link to a build review that shows what I mean: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959926-airfix-124-hawker-typhoon-on-the-flight-line/

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
There was a Typhoon supplement and an article on it in the June 2014 Airfix Model World Magazine. Bit of a beast.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Barry

I've got my big Tiffy on order, all being well it should be with me next week.

This is one model I couldn't pass up - my very favourite aircraft, and (what looks to be) one superb kit.

When it arrives I'll post my first impressions if you like. I won't be building this for a little while so there won't be anything too detailed in terms of a review but i can give out-of-the-box first impressions and a sense of how big this model is.

Another dream kit. 1/32 MkII Spitfire... 1/24 Tiffy... what next 1/32 HK Lanc?

Cheers

Paul

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Tiffy is now availble and demand seems very high so I wont wait long before ordering.

Andy - I have heard that rumour too but I would expect, from past form, for them to bring out a second version of the Corsair first, a bubbletop no doubt.

P

Polux

If you all are looking for big birds, you have....

1/32-He219-a-0-uhu

1/32-b-17g-flying-fortress

1/32-b-25j-mitchell-strafer

All them are a beast :P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Mine is at the LHS just waiting until Tuesday :D

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Mine is at the LHS just waiting until Tuesday :D
I saw this kit at Telford last year.Looks an amazing piece of engineering.Perhaps you could do an in box review or post some pics of the sprues Andy?.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I saw this kit at Telford last year.Looks an amazing piece of engineering.Perhaps you could do an in box review or post some pics of the sprues Andy?.
No problem dave , I've seen the sprues as well at the Torquay show in May , there was lots of little bits all over it but a big do not touch sign next to it but it does look a nice kit , I reckon it might be the same size as the hurricane

As soon as I get it I'll do a show and tell :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk1b 1:24

Just had tan advert come through form Airfix on this one.

Nobody has mentioned that it comes with an optional extra.

An electric motor which is mounted in the fuselage and connected to the prop shaft.

Does not say if it is possible to take off.

Laurie

P

Polux

An electric motor..? O_o

Well, seems Airfix has done a good job.

A 1/24 plane is always a temptation, and so much at this detail level..:rolleyes: they has prepared a book as well...and I suppose some more extras will coming soon...

Is a good business :smiling3:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have seen the electric motor sold on its own as an accessory for Airfix 1/24th scale aircraft

L

Laurie

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-electric-motor-1-24.html?utm_campaign=Airfix_Email_A19002,Book,Motor_205822&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=CM_hornby-airfix

You are correct Dave.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A 1/32 Lancaster is on the books from HK models..

Japanese gentlemen with ruler and note pad have been sighted crawling all over a Mossy. No further news though. Revell have re-issued there mossy in 1/32...

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
A 1/32 Lancaster is on the books from HK models..Japanese gentlemen with ruler and note pad have been sighted crawling all over a Mossy. No further news though. Revell have re-issued there mossy in 1/32...

Ian M
Ian is the mossy a rebox or new tooling ? I heard bad things about the old one