The Smythemeister's Raiden interceptor

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy.

That's looking really good..... Mine is still waiting to hit the booth!

I do have one thing to say though and I hate to say it.....but.....

According to the instructions and other builds I've seen, the top of the engine cowling, right back to the windscreen, should be planted in a bluey black color. I think this is some sort of anti-glare device to stop light reflections coming off the cowling and blinding the pilot.....

Tamiya may of course have got it wrong
No need to apologise Andrew... you're spot on,there is an anti glare blue/black area in front of the cockpit :thumb2:...... although not on mine.... yet;).
When I've removed the masking tape and checked for/tidied up any seepage,that will be the next job.
Then I'll add undercarriage,guns and some other tiny bits.
Cheers for now :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ok then muchachos, we're nearing the end of this one,(gotta admit I'll be glad to see the back of it,my least favourite of the planes I've done :sad-face:),and the curse of the Tamiya decals has struck :flushed:......
IMG20230805151405.jpg
... Blistered under varnish on that side,and.....
IMG20230805151419.jpg
This side it broke up a bit, with the front of the flashes crumbling completely!!:dizzy:
I'll try and repair the damage with hairy stick the best I can.
Then add the final bits:thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well I'm calling this one "Done" now,
I'm obviously not the ideal Wingy fing builder, but I do enjoy having a bash !! :astonished:
I had a go at repairing the damaged decals by mixing these two...
IMG20230806160555.jpg
Which ended up like this...
IMG20230806171851.jpg
It's FAR from perfect,but I'm quite pleased :hugging-face:..and now the rest of the other bits...
IMG20230806171914.jpg
IMG20230806171938.jpg
IMG20230806172014.jpg
So there it is, didn't want to weather it too much,not many of em built and at the end of the war, therefore they didn't last long!!
When I said previously that it was my least favourite plane I've done,I didn't mean the kit itself.. that's been a typical Tamiya pleasure to build.. what I meant was,I just don't like the look of this plane.... I prefer sleek looking stuff,this one looks a bit like a pregnant Guppy to me!!:dizzy:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sorry im late sir but ive got a note !
Late to the party - just walking in as everyone else is leaving !
Great job mate and a top save on the crumbly decals . Off to have a catch up on your ‘ Nick ‘ now , cheers tony

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well young Mr Smith that's fine looking "pregnant Guppy" . Good job on the repair of the decal. Is it the age of the kit, or due to storage or down to Tamiya ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andy. Nice rescue on the decals. Interesting about the crumbling though, Tamiya decals handle (and look) like vinyl stickers in my experience. I’ve always thought there should be a full aftermarket decal service for Tamiya kits by someone like Cartograph. Great kits, awful decals!