The Smythemeister's Tigger

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One thing to remember is that Germany was scraping the bottom of the barrel for troops by late 1944, and in any case, most German youths had never driven a motorised vehicle at all anyway before being conscripted — and then they only got a very basic training in how to do that. This is not conducive to careful driving that takes into account the vehicle’s weaknesses.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Andy ,few years back now on here I built a old trumpeter kit id grabbed from a show stall cheap a russian amphibious thing I want to say P100 but I'm sure it was something else any way must of been about the same vintage ,the tracks were twisted worse than yourse ,like a worm dropped on a hot pavement ,I did half get them straightish wich I thought ok I'll live with that only to find that they'd shrunk and were a good inch short. Hope yous are OK length wise just a thought to check at the earliest opportunity. Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi chaps,
I'm sorry,but I've had next to time to post stuff up, however, behind the scenes I have managed to get some progress :flushed:, I'll answer your welcomed posts over the weekend, when I'm not clogged up with work etc :thumb2:.
Here are just a couple of pics to show that I AM actually doing something!!...
IMG20230807191204.jpg
No surprise that there's a load of wheels there,after primer,and a coat of dark yellow,(don't ask me to call it "unclegrab" or whatever it is!!)...
IMG20230810184548.jpg
.. a surprise to me was the fact that, unlike the previous Panzers that I've done,the wheels aren't just block painted in each one with the camo colours... In pretty much all of the pics I've seen,each wheel had ALL THREE colours:flushed: Not a worry mind, I'm going to do this the hard way:dizzy:.
Anyway, I've put some tiny bits on the upper hull...
IMG20230810184343.jpg
...and the obligatory lower hull stuff..
IMG20230810184453.jpg
... Finally for tonight, I've decided to go with the Kit supplied Commander, assembled him, started to clean him up,shows promise I reckon......
IMG20230810190314.jpg
That's it for this evening,cheers for now... and thanks for looking in:thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
dark yellow,(don't ask me to call it "unclegrab" or whatever it is!!)...
Dunkelgelb is literally simply German for “dark yellow” anyway. I’ve never understood this need to not translate things such as this, like colour names that are really nothing more than descriptive indicators — just saying “dark yellow” (or “German dark yellow”) works fine in English if you ask me.

.. a surprise to me was the fact that, unlike the previous Panzers that I've done,the wheels aren't just block painted in each one with the camo colours... In pretty much all of the pics I've seen,each wheel had ALL THREE colours:flushed:
Chances are they were painted in the factory before being installed on the tank. I rather doubt a crew in the field would have bothered to remove the outer wheels so they can spray the inner ones, unless maybe for an inspection by some high-ranking officer.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You mean you don’t know this……well stick with me kid and I’ll complete your education…..

Looks good…….

If you need any info give me a shout, I’ve got this in the shelf….
View attachment 487941

….and there’s some good detail shots in this one…
View attachment 487942
Thanks for that Tim,I have both "The tank Book",by The Tank Museum,and,"German Tanks of WW2",by David Porter..... but neither of them have any pictures of the engine deck details,grilles etc :sad-face:.
I'd appreciate any info on that if you'd be so kind.:thumb2:
Smiffy,
I'm in mate as close to the front as I can get.
Welcome along Scottie, always great to see you looking in mate.:hugging-face:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy ,few years back now on here I built a old trumpeter kit id grabbed from a show stall cheap a russian amphibious thing I want to say P100 but I'm sure it was something else any way must of been about the same vintage ,the tracks were twisted worse than yourse ,like a worm dropped on a hot pavement ,I did half get them straightish wich I thought ok I'll live with that only to find that they'd shrunk and were a good inch short. Hope yous are OK length wise just a thought to check at the earliest opportunity. Dave
Hi Dave, thanks very much for the tip, I'll wrap them around as soon as the running gear is ready,to check that out :thumb2:
Evening Mr Smith, Ooooh a big Tigger…..whats not to like :smiling4:
Any idea of what colour scheme you are going for?
Hello Si,long time no see, welcome aboard Sir,I'm going for the three colour "ambush"type scheme:hugging-face:
Dunkelgelb is literally simply German for “dark yellow” anyway. I’ve never understood this need to translate things that don’t need it, like colour names that are really nothing more than descriptive indicators — just saying “dark yellow” (or “German dark yellow”) works fine in English if you ask me.

Chances are they were painted in the factory before being installed on the tank. I rather doubt a crew in the field would have bothered to remove the outer wheels so they can spray the inner ones, unless maybe for an inspection by some high-ranking officer.
Lots of great info there thanks Jakko,I think I'm going to go for a mix.... solid colour on the inner wheels,and a mix on the forward ones:thumb2:
Well Mr. Smiff, it appears that you have things well in hand PCO my good man. :thumb2:
Yep,things are rolling along now mate:cool:
Nice start. Looks like you’ve got a German Tommy Cooper to crew it as well……just like that…..
Yes,he does look a bit like that iconic pose doesn't he!:tears-of-joy:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Just looking over this again Andy and a question has popped into my head... are you installing the side skirts in one piece or cutting them apart and leaving a couple off ? from what I can remember these tended to get damaged and/or torn off quite frequently.. and we all know how good a Tiggy looks with a bit of damage..

(Incidentally.. was reading about Bovingdons 'Tiger 131' last night and discovered it was part of my old regiment.. (The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters)..who were responsible for it's capture..)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just looking over this again Andy and a question has popped into my head... are you installing the side skirts in one piece or cutting them apart and leaving a couple off ? from what I can remember these tended to get damaged and/or torn off quite frequently.. and we all know how good a Tiggy looks with a bit of damage..

(Incidentally.. was reading about Bovingdons 'Tiger 131' last night and discovered it was part of my old regiment.. (The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters)..who were responsible for it's capture..)
..... Bugger,one of my "surprise elements" of this build has been rumbled before I get anywhere near that stage of the build!! :dizzy: :tears-of-joy: ,yes Chris,I'm going to do just that mate ;).Also, while I'm giving away "secrets", I'm waiting for a metal barrel to arrive too, don't like the kit one:thumb2:.
That's cool about 131... and they sure did know how to name a Regiment way back in the day eh?!:cool:.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
..... Bugger,one of my "surprise elements" of this build has been rumbled before I get anywhere near that stage of the build!! :dizzy: :tears-of-joy: ,yes Chris,I'm going to do just that mate ;).Also, while I'm giving away "secrets", I'm waiting for a metal barrel to arrive too, don't like the kit one:thumb2:.
That's cool about 131... and they sure did know how to name a Regiment way back in the day eh?!:cool:.
I watched 131’s rebuild when I was at Bovi. ABRO did a good job restoring it. None of its war damage could be repaired or replaced. It had to remain in its post war condition.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just a quick one guys,can anyone tell me if the inner road wheels had rubber or steel rims please... I've looked on line,but can't see a definitive answer :thinking:,any help much appreciated :thumb2:.