The Winter GB...!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know that it is a long way off, but the next GB running October through to December is as per the vote SNIPER. any period any scale. Is their still an interest for this build?

I get the impression that we are not strong in figure builders/painters. Don't get me wrong those that do them do them well, it's just that there is not many of us that revel in figures and I get the idea they are a chore rather than a choice.

To all those that are about to start yelling and groaning I have NO INTENTION of cancelling the GB. I was thinking that maybe it could be run along with another one at the same time.

So here is my suggestion....

Have you seen the TV show Over Hauled? The one where some poor sod gets his car nicked and then Mr. Foose does a custom job on it.. I thought it might be an idea for a GB as I get the idea there are quite a few car builders in our numbers.

General Idea: Build a civilian car, any type, scale, make, or land. The catch; give it a custom paint job and if you can or want to go the whole hog, with all the custom bits you can build or buy.

There is loads of time yet, but lets have a chat about it and also other ideas that could be considered.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm still up for the "SNIPER", i like the idea of a side by side GB too. But i really love the idea of the Over Hauled GB mate so i'm up for a bit of custom mate.

Have fun, John

J

JFJ

I definately like the idea of a 'SNIPER' GB, but as Ian said, some may not enjoy the figures. How about an Ardennes GB to go with it? End date could be... 16 December (that's the day the battle started)?

Adrian

Last edited:
J

JFJ

If there's an interest for 2 GBs at once, here are some suggestions

1. Berlin 1945

2. Big Cats (Panther, Tiger, King Tiger, etc)

3. Knocked-out tank/Shot-down aircraft

4. Italian Campaign

5. Captured tanks/aircraft

6. Ardennes (mentioned earlier)

What do you guys think?

Adrian

Last edited:
N

noble

Hi Ian iam still up for the sniper idea but SNIPER doesn't just mean figures, try a jagdpanther sitting in ambush. it will take a little more thought outside the box but we all have demonstrated that from time to time here.

scott

Last edited:
A

andygh

It's a shame these aren't in stock

1/7 Total Eclipse : Kriska Barchenowa Lingerie Ver. PV

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry Scott, I'm pulling rank on this one. To quote the dictionary:

A sniper is a marksman who shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel. Snipers typically have specialized training and distinct high-precision rifles.

In addition to marksmanship, military snipers are trained in camouflage, field craft, infiltration, reconnaissance and observation. Snipers are especially effective when deployed within the terrain ofurban warfare, or jungle warfare.

As you mentioned yourself, a tank hidden in the bushes or in a barn is an ambush.

I believe that the intent with this topic was to get a few figure builds going.

So in this instance sniper is a person and not a piece of armour.

Andy! Damn I want one of those :tongue-out:

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So does the lack of response mean that I should just leave be and stick to the one GB over the Yule tide or shall I just pull a rabbit out of the hat starting day so you can all groan about not having a suitable kit to use.....?

:tongue-out:

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, I would like to do 'Sniper', plenty of choice.

Scott is right in a way, in as much as it doesn't have to be a figure with grass sticking out of every orifice! lol

Go off on a tangent (Which I try to do anyway) and various things spring to mind which I would hope would be within the rules and the title of the G.B.

It is all down to the final choice of both your goodself, and the concensus of opinion from the boys, but I will tag along anyway....

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Scott is not right in a way. an Ambush is an ambush. A sniper is a sniper. End of!

The coming GB was in my narrow little mind intended as a figure build to try and get some more "figure based" action going here in the forum builds.

If the theme sniper is to narrow to find a suitable subject, I could go as far as to say Assassin. Still a figure but open to a wider interpretation.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I made no reference to ambush in my previous post.

I was referring to Scott's writing about 'Thinking outside the box.' By this he is suggesting the theme 'Sniper' could be opened up.....

Good examples of this kind of thinking were to be found in the Fw190 G.B., were we even had an aircraft being craned out of the sea!

Let's say someone could (As I did) go along the avenue of the effects of a sniper's action, which could lead to all sorts of permutations and ideas and still be within the encompassment of the term 'Sniper' This could have the advantage that it might not even involve figures at all! lol

However, my main reason for posting was to politely clear up any misinterpretation you might have read into my last post.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No you did not directly refer to an ambush, Scott did and you said he is right in a way. Thus my reply.

Yes the FW build did bring many different things to the table. The one with the 190 being lifted from the sea was one of the more imaginative. BUT it was still an FW 190...

I can see that no matter what, some people will do what they please and the winter build will end in a mish mash of builds depicting every thing from, God forbid, a sniper, to a tank dug down to its turret or a corps laying in a field with his head blown off.

Let it be what it becomes.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow. sure went quiet in here all of a sudden!

October is lurking around the corner. Any one still up for this one? Time to get your thinking hats on and see what you can come up with.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm in if finances permit! Gotta get the figure(s) I would need. Have to let you know a bit nearer the start.

Gern

J

JFJ

Will a figure hiding behind a destroyed tank count? Thanks in advance

N

noble

Iam still in on this one just have to make it original and thats the difficult part lol.

scott

J

John Huggins

I think i will ( try) somthing along the lines of Starlingrad (boras yelsin) factory german's laying comm's cable ect.

Chance for a bit more blood. LOL

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Will a figure hiding behind a destroyed tank count? Thanks in advance
Well if the figure hiding behind said tank is a sniper and the main focus of attention then yes.

Ian M