The Winter GB...!

A

andygh

Don't forget Lyudmila Michajlovna Pavlichenko, not as pretty but 309 confirmed kills, a one woman army

P

Paolo O

Would a napoleonic British 95th rifleman count as a sniper.I know they were skirmishers buuuuut....

A

andygh

Well according to WIKI

A sniper is a marksman who shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel. Snipers typically have specialized training and distinct high-precision rifles.
So I'd say yes, but you'll have to wait for an official ruling I guess

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Would a napoleonic British 95th rifleman count as a sniper.I know they were skirmishers buuuuut....
Well I will stick my neck on the block here and say that a Sniper is a fairly modern function. So in ye olde days I would guess that some one that shoot some one else could be said to be a sniper of sorts. For the want of increasing the possibilities for the Winter GB, I concur that a marksman of the field can be built.

Go for it Paolo !

P

Paolo O

That is an interesting definition as the Baker rifle ,which was issued to the 95th , outclassed the standard issue Brown Bess and the two rifle regiments were specially trained in their use.

Apparantly a Rifleman called Tom Plunket shot the French cavalry General Colvert in the head at well over three hundred yards and after reloading headshot the Trumpeter who went over to check on the Generals condition.He shot them both while lying on his back with the rifles sling wrapped around his foot.

I think the Rifle Regiments would of used cover ,while skirmishing/sharpshooting (if available) as they were not a strictly line regiment. Also i need an excuse to start on the Napoleonic stash as i haven't made one since i was a kid.

All the best,Paul

P

Paolo O

Nice one Ian,sorry i didn't see your reply before i submitted my last one.I best get me thinking hat on now.

All the best ,Paul (or Paolo ,whatevers easiest to type really)

A

andygh

Just to clear the history up a bit, I came across this while doing a bit of research into the Accuracy International L115A3 sniper rifle

The snipe is a wading bird renowned for being the hardest of all birds to hunt due to being difficult to locate, impossible to approach without flushing, or to hit once in the air due to its erratic flight. In the days of market hunting, those who brought snipes to market were regarded as the best of the best and earned the term snipers. The verb snipe originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India applying similar skills in wartime with a human quarry.
So 1815 is fine by the sound of it

B

Brickie

"Sharpshooter" was another word that was used at the time, IIRC.

Nelson was killed at Trafalgar by a chap in the rigging of a French ship with a rifle, and that chap is usually referred to as a sharpshooter - so I'd say in terms of terminology perhaps at that point "sniper" was still a bit of Indian army jargon and the chaps in the 95th Rifles would have called themselves sharpshooters. Or, yes, Light Infantry.

B

Brickie

Also, while we're on the subject of ruthlessly effective snipers, may I present Simo Häyhä, known to the Russians as "Belaya Smert" - the White Death. For a rather more colourful (language warning!) account of his exploits, see here.