Thinking of buying a new airbrush...

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Hi Guys, I am not new to airbrushing, I have been using them for over 50 years. Most of them are that age too! Got my first DeVilbiss aerograph when I was around 17. I was also lucky enough to be involved with Morris and Ingram, who were the early UK distributor of Badger Airbrushes and acquired several of their early airbrushes. Along with a few others that were around at the time.

I have used airbrushes both for work and hobby over the years. My DeVilbiss airbrushes are all gravity fed but have very small paint reservoirs machined out of the body. Ideal for small detail application of high pigment viscous inks and solvent-based paints. heavier paints will clog it and require too much air pressure for fine work.

The badger and Paasche airbrushes are fine for use with enamels. All are bottom/side feed or external mix airbrushes. I used them on and off for years but have not done any amount modelling with them in decades.

Now I am coming back to the hobby I am looking for a decent double action brush that has a decent size gravity cup that will handle modern acrylic paint without having to increase the air pressure too much. I am looking at the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS which seems to fit the bill. Having never used or even held an Iwata brush I would like the hear your opinions on my proposed purchase or hear any recommendations for other airbrushes.

Ralph.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Been using my Paasche VL for over 40 years....never had a clog and I only shoot solvent based enamels and lacquers. Replaced the needle , air cap and tip once.....problem free if you stay away from latex and acrylics.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Hi Guys, I am not new to airbrushing, I have been using them for over 50 years. Most of them are that age too! Got my first DeVilbiss aerograph when I was around 17. I was also lucky enough to be involved with Morris and Ingram, who were the early UK distributor of Badger Airbrushes and acquired several of their early airbrushes. Along with a few others that were around at the time.

I have used airbrushes both for work and hobby over the years. My DeVilbiss airbrushes are all gravity fed but have very small paint reservoirs machined out of the body. Ideal for small detail application of high pigment viscous inks and solvent-based paints. heavier paints will clog it and require too much air pressure for fine work.

The badger and Paasche airbrushes are fine for use with enamels. All are bottom/side feed or external mix airbrushes. I used them on and off for years but have not done any amount modelling with them in decades.

Now I am coming back to the hobby I am looking for a decent double action airbrush that has a decent size gravity cup that will handle modern acrylic paint without having to increase the air pressure too much. I am looking at the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS which seems to fit the bill. Having never used or even held an Iwata airbrush I would like the hear your opinions on my proposed purchase or hear any recommendations for other airbrushes.

Ralph.
You won't go wrong with the Eclipse HP-CS in my opinion.
Iv'e been using one for probably 15 years now, and am very happy with it, not that I am particularly good with it lol.
It is better than my old Paasche, but I don't like bottom feed.
A lot has been said for Harder and Steenbeck, but they are pretty expensive though.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have the hp cs and find it nice to use ,i was using cheapies before that so cant compare it to anything else really .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I don't own one of their airbrushes but have been using Iwata products for around 30 years and would say anything of theirs is a solid purchase.

You ask for other recommendations so I'd suggest looking at the Mr Hobby / Creos range to see if they have a model that suits your needs. Made in the same factory as Iwata they share some parts and design features, but generally cost a little less.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I bow to everyone else's knowledge. Only used two, (in 10 months). One a really cheapo Timbertech I was gifted the other I acquired recently a H&S Ultra 2024. Superb AB. The settings for newbies like me are excellent. Seems to get good positive reviews from experienced users!!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
If you're looking for something in the budget range, you could do worse than Gaahleri..... They're pretty new but have a search. There are plenty of YouTube and other reviews.

I have been using one for about six months and love it!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have these in my stash - learning the ropes with my humble Neo but both it and myself are struggling at 1/72

Which one would you pick for 1/72, 1/48, 1/35 and 1/32? Is there a one size fits all?

IMG_3896.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I would also like to ask also how I can employ this because only one end fits my Neo or my compressor but not both!

IMG_3897.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have an Iwata eclipse SBS. Great airbrush. Works flawlessly. Very easy to strip and clean. No issues I can think of.
As to fitting the hose to the airbrush, you can get adapters that screw on the brush as the manufacturers all seem to use a different hose fitment. Look here.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have an Iwata eclipse SBS. Great airbrush. Works flawlessly. Very easy to strip and clean. No issues I can think of.
As to fitting the hose to the airbrush, you can get adapters that screw on the brush as the manufacturers all seem to use a different hose fitment. Look here.

thanks for the link - there’s a lot of options there. I see your airbrush is no longer available - it’s now

Iwata Takumi Eclipse Side Feed​

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not a problem for me, I see no need to replace it. I’ve only bought one needle as a spare since I purchased it a good ten years ago, and full spares (every single part) are still available from graphic air suppliers elsewhere. It’s a great robust modellers tool.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would also like to ask also how I can employ this because only one end fits my Neo or my compressor but not both!

View attachment 499216
It looks to me as if the large shiny bit at the airbrush end screws off. Maybe a new adapter needed, maybe it can screw right on directly.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It looks to me as if the large shiny bit at the airbrush end screws off. Maybe a new adapter needed, maybe it can screw right on directly.
That’s the 1/8th bsp screw connector that screws on to the big threads on the adaptors in Marks post above Ian. It doesn’t come off.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not a problem for me, I see no need to replace it. I’ve only bought one needle as a spare since I purchased it a good ten years ago, and full spares (every single part) are still available from graphic air suppliers elsewhere. It’s a great robust modellers tool.
So how does my Eclipse compare?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s pretty much the same brush. It’s just that mine is side feed rather than top feed, which I prefer after cutting my teeth on an Aztec.
Ive modded mine slightly….see here for details.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Dear Sprue 42,
I'm sorry I cannot give you a direct advice as I have two a/b, both Badger's and non gravity fed.
You will find many threads here on the forum about choosing an a/b; just type "airbrush" in the "Search" window, upper right corner on the homepage, select "search title only" and then click on the "search" button.
Hope you'll find what you need, and I'm pretty sure you will. :thumb2: