Thinking of buying a new airbrush...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I've only had experience of two so I'm out albeit to say, I have been impressed with the H&S Ultra (2024), yeah, it's for beginners like me but I have heard off a few old and bolds have picked it up and are using it. There are enough vids on YT. What I like is the easy maintenance and quick turn round from one colour to another plus no additional needles needed. (The rotating gizmo for changing paint distribution is a handy tool too).

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've only had experience of two so I'm out albeit to say, I have been impressed with the H&S Ultra (2024), yeah, it's for beginners like me but I have heard off a few old and bolds have picked it up and are using it. There are enough vids on YT. What I like is the easy maintenance and quick turn round from one colour to another plus no additional needles needed. (The rotating gizmo for changing paint distribution is a handy tool too).
I used the Ultra 2024 for the first time last week, it’s a very nice well balanced airbrush, I also have an Infinity CRplus, I would chose the Ultra over the Infinity anytime

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It’s pretty much the same brush. It’s just that mine is side feed rather than top feed, which I prefer after cutting my teeth on an Aztec.
Ive modded mine slightly….see here for details.
Could I ask about your compressor and spray booth?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Compressor is an Iwata Smart Jet. Spray booth is a cheapo fold up job. I also have a good 3M half face safety mask that I use when spraying lacquers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What I would say is that almost everyone airbrushes slight differently, wether it’s airbrush , paint type, thinning ratio, pressures etc and virtually everyone gets good results so don’t sweat it, just practice with your kit and get used to it. There is no magic equipment, pretty much all of it works as well as any other in the end.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What I would say is that almost everyone airbrushes slight differently, wether it’s airbrush , paint type, thinning ratio, pressures etc and virtually everyone gets good results so don’t sweat it, just practice with your kit and get used to it. There is no magic equipment, pretty much all of it works as well as any other in the end.
Thanks for the encouragement Tim. I hope so - because I’m still clogging up airbrush every now and then, etc.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Compressor is an Iwata Smart Jet. Spray booth is a cheapo fold up job. I also have a good 3M half face safety mask that I use when spraying lacquers.
Regarding Iwata Smart jet though - it doesn’t have a reservoir. Is that a factor?

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It used to be the case that a tank on a compressor was needed to prevent pulsing. Many modern compressors seem to have overcome the pulsing issue without having a tank. Tim's Iwata is an example. Personally I would not buy a cheap, unbranded compressor without a tank but Iwata, Sparmax etc then fine.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've had a series of AB's love the cheap Iwata the best, along with the tankless Iwata .

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It used to be the case that a tank on a compressor was needed to prevent pulsing. Many modern compressors seem to have overcome the pulsing issue without having a tank. Tim's Iwata is an example. Personally I would not buy a cheap, unbranded compressor without a tank but Iwata, Sparmax etc then fine.
Possible pulsing is not the only issue here. A compressor without a tank has to be going all the time you are spraying. If you have a long spraying session it can overheat and, of course, you get the continuous noise. With a decent tank most f the time it is silent when spraying and, of course, it is not likely to overheat.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Possible pulsing is not the only issue here. A compressor without a tank has to be going all the time you are spraying. If you have a long spraying session it can overheat and, of course, you get the continuous noise. With a decent tank most f the time it is silent when spraying and, of course, it is not likely to overheat.
The Iwata cuts in as soon as you press the trigger and cuts out as soon as you release it. It’s pretty quiet as well. Never had an overheat issue, but then you paint far bigger things than I do ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Iwata cuts in as soon as you press the trigger and cuts out as soon as you release it. It’s pretty quiet as well. Never had an overheat issue, but then you paint far bigger things than I do ;)
That’s exactly right. With a tank it will only cut in once the pressure in the tank has dropped to a certain level, then when it gets back up to pressure stops again. Consequently most of the time you are spraying it is in silence.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s exactly right. With a tank it will only cut in once the pressure in the tank has dropped to a certain level, then when it gets back up to pressure stops again. Consequently most of the time you are spraying it is in silence.
The cheaper tanked compressor I had (AS type) was so small it was constantly refilling, and the pressure switch was faulty (I think) so didn’t refill until the pressure had dropped below my requirements. It was quite difficult to use because of this, giving a very uneven spray pattern. The Iwata is several levels above it in performance and ease of use.
To be honest, if I had the space and cash I’d get a larger workshop compressor with a tank and use that. My brother in law does. He turns it on, it fills up, then he can spray all day before it needs filling again…..

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have used Badger from the ancient powered from an inner tube or can of air 250 through to their Renegade. H&S Infinity, and Iwata Neo trigger operated, NEO CN and Eclipse which are my goto three. Plus an un-named double action which was cheap and cheerful, but I seem to use occasionally.
But I have been sent a new one on the market for review which is the GAAHLERI Mobius 0.2 from this new company, and after having had a play with it the results are favourable - but this was using a 50/50 mix of AK and IPA, Tamiya lacquer and their own brand thinners and the same with Mr Hobby, and for less than £100.
I have no affiliation with any of the companies above and any comments are my own.

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've recently bought the Gaahleri GHAD 68 trigger airbrush. I wanted a trigger/pistol grip type for doing large areas. I'm starting to get handcramps using my traditional H&S for prolonged periods.

I'm pleasantly surprised. For something that was just over £60 it's really nicely made, sprays well and most importantly is comfortable to use, even for long sessions. The trigger is particularity nice and reminds be of the 2 stage trigger I have in one of my competition rifles. The first stage starts the air, then the trigger reaches a stop. A slight increase in pull then moves the needle and allows paint through.

It comes with 2 needles, two cups and a quick detach for the air hose. Smallest needle is .38, so will still use the H&S with .2 needle for fine work, but for laying down paint over a large area it's exactly what I wanted. Best of all, it seems to be incredibly economic on paint.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The trigger is particularity nice and reminds be of the 2 stage trigger I have in one of my competition rifles. The first stage starts the air, then the trigger reaches a stop. A slight increase in pull then moves the needle and allows paint through.
That, I have found, is a real advantage of a pistol grip airbrush.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Glad to hear the support for trigger airbrushes but do t rule them out for fine work. I very rarely use my .2 Infinity.