This is odd !

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I was looking about for other 1/24 aircraft and I came across this

http://www.airfix.com/aircraft/1-24-scale-military-aircraft/hawker-siddeley-gr-3-av-8a-1-24.html

Now I have this kit and the date for release of this has already past and to my knowledge this has always been available

Could airfix have got this all wrong or is there a new tool out there somewhere mixed in with the old ones ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I thought that but I bought mine in that same box back in July or August , the date given for this release is the 17th October

I'm baffled , I doubt very much there is a new tool to be released and this is probably a wrong date but strange none the less

D

dubster72

Having thought on it, I reckon airfix have added a few parts to make the AV8 version. I'm sure the original was just the GR3?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think it's the other way around Patrick because the extra nose is for the GR3 but the old one could well have been a GR1 :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Fair enough! I'm not a Harrier expert - I just know it goes up & down ;)
Ooo matron :D I only know because I have the kit mate I'm no expert either infact I don't know very much about any of my builds :D

L

Laurie

My recent experience with Airfix brings no further surprises.

I would be surprised if they could themselves untangle this new web of intrigue.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Well as much as I'm against Airfix doing the rebox thing because I believe

it to be a short-sighted policy, their knew tool kits are a delight!

The 1/72 Typhoon is beautiful & one of the nicest kits I've made.

First Name
Adrian
They have been putting "Coming Soon" on a lot of the kits they have sold off on there "Last chance to buy" section just before they reduce them, so it may be worth keeping an eye out.

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
According to Scalemates https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=100325 ikit A18003 has been out since 2010 in that boxing. Strange, maybe it will be re-released yet again.

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
I think it's the usual Airfix job of re-boxing the old kit! :sad:
And why is that particularly reprehensible? Your alternative is to scratchbuild, or pay a (probable) small fortune on E-bay. Airfix (the company, not Hornby) always had a policy of allowing kits to "lie fallow" for 5 years (at least) before reissuing (not reboxing) them, and it should be no surprise that Hornby might do something similar; they are in this business to make money, and, if they see that there is a desire for the reappearance of an old kit, they'll do it. It's called filling a gap in the market.

The kit was first issued as a GR.1, to celebrate the winning of the New York-to-London part of the 1969 Daily Mail Transatlantic Air Race, and also as an American AV-8A. Since then it's been reincarnated as a GR.3 and FRS.1 Sea Harrier.

If Hornby's reissue sells well (or preferably sells out,) it pays to remember that it's those sales which will pay for new-mould kits like the Tiger Moth, Defiant and Typhoons

D

dubster72

\ said:
And why is that particularly reprehensible? Your alternative is to scratchbuild, or pay a (probable) small fortune on E-bay. Airfix (the company, not Hornby) always had a policy of allowing kits to "lie fallow" for 5 years (at least) before reissuing (not reboxing) them, and it should be no surprise that Hornby might do something similar; they are in this business to make money, and, if they see that there is a desire for the reappearance of an old kit, they'll do it. It's called filling a gap in the market.If Hornby's reissue sells well (or preferably sells out,) it pays to remember that it's those sales which will pay for new-mould kits like the Tiger Moth, Defiant and Typhoons
My problem with this practise is that it deceives the customer. A kit from the 70s that isn't particularly good put into a shiny new box will only lead to disappointment, especially if the buyer/recipient is someone new to the hobby.

You might say that people should do their research prior to purchase. However, mums & dads buying these kits for a child's birthday or Christmas present aren't aware of these issues, so they're taken in by the presentation & box art.

The result is an unhappy kid who decides that model making isn't for him / her. And that's where our hobby loses serious money if there's no new generation coming along.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You raise a very good point there Patrick , people of our age know about the iffy kits so we can accept them but knew comers to the hobby would be put off by old airfix kits

There has been great strides made to improve kits what with after market stuff and so forth but sadly airfix came along to late to realise the potential this has , don't get me wrong the new tool stuff airfix are doing now can rival the tamiya's but there is not enough new tool to put it amongst the best yet

L

Laurie

I think Edgar is right. I can not see the problem. Airfix actually tell you on their site which are new toolings so us experts :eek: have no reason to be upset.

As far as kids are concerned I think that which ever kit they get is a plus for the world of model making.

Having 4 Grandsons of my own I had a stint where they came over of providing a model for them to build. The eldest was 12 the youngest 6. They all made a good fist of making the models. 2 asked me for paints so they could take the models home and complete them which they did. Now on their shelves 4 years later. But quite frankly the results, the little dears, would hardly have benefited from a new tooling as opposed to a re-boxed.

The teenagers who are good at model making should no have any problems just as we experts :rolleyes: they will get through it and produce a good model. Then they will moan and have a lot to say about Airfix reboxing and what a poor show. But they will be pleased as we are and put it on the shelf : achieved.

Recently my son and future daughter in law, while we were in Greenwhich together, bought me a plate with a Walrus (some say ugly) sea plane. I manage to get a model of it and pleased I did. An old model probably reboxed by Revell. But who cares I will enjoy building it. Probably lots of moans and plenty of filler but I doubt at the end of the day it will look any different from a new tooling to an old hack.

Looking at what some of these old "Hacks" are going for on Ebay and the like it is perhaps worth buying them and waiting. Seems the model making market has joined the antique and collectibles scene.

Laurie :D

D

dubster72

That's fine Laurie, but my point remains that it's deceitful to repackage something old that wasn't very good 40 years ago!

If someone went to buy a ' new ' VW Golf for instance & ended up with a 1974 Mark I, I'd imagine there would be some gnashing of teeth!

And not everyone looks at websites or has a friend or family member who is involved in the hobby. My point is about the majority who buy from a LMS or Amazon & don't have the detailed product information available. They see the lovely box, perhaps they've heard that Airfix have produced new kits & the idea that an ill-fitting 40 year old monstrosity is contained within never crosses their mind!

How many of the old kits would be sold if the box stated its original release date? ;) The fact also remains that anyone will have an easier time building a well made kit than one that needs copious amounts of filler.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think you will find that reboxing of old kits is a practise regularly undertaken by all model kit manufacturers so let's try to avoid yet another Airfix beating session.

D

dubster72

\ said:
I think you will find that reboxing of old kits is a practise regularly undertaken by all model kit manufacturers so let's try to avoid yet another Airfix beating session.
I'm not beating Airfix / Hornby Richard - if I were, I'd hardly be buying their kits! I know some manufacturers do this, although I've yet to find a Tamiya or Dragon kit in

a new box ! But then even Tamiya's 70s kits build as well as modern ones - at least that's true of armour kits.