Tim’s 1/48 Eduard Roland CII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Let's think about that.......

fire = fuel source + ignition source + oxygen......WW1 plane = highly flammable construction materials + highly flammable fuel + lots of oxygen as you fly around the sky.......

Have to agree with you Tim..... Absolutely no reason NOT to add a log fire......I mean what where they thinking about not having one!!?!!!!???? ;) :tongue-out2:
After all, they sat the pilot on the fuel tank, so why not….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very late in on this Tim, sorry. Just had a catch up. Curtains !!! Interesting thoughts. It looks quite good for an earlier Eduard kit. The cockpit i look very nice.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very late in on this Tim, sorry. Just had a catch up. Curtains !!! Interesting thoughts. It looks quite good for an earlier Eduard kit. The cockpit i look very nice.
No problem on lateness, thanks for the support and cheers for looking in Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just in case you all think I’ve dropped this one off a cliff……build is moving on.
5F76237A-C289-414E-9896-DCE1A10AAC8E.jpeg
62EBD9F0-4572-42AD-A37E-9BC7F936AD46.jpeg
Top wing is held on with blue tack while the struts dry. I can then take it off, paint it separately and add the rigging wires to it before final assembly. The wings fit well, and this approach should enable me to get the paint in between the wings and on the fuselage sides more easily. Top of the top wing and bottom of the bottom wing will need minor filling and touching up where the rigging wires go through, but that’s easier (to me) than trying to push minute stretchy thread into a minute hole while getting superglue in the right place. All rigging holes now drilled (I think) and I’m debating putting the undercart on before or after painting. Probably before because it will then be stronger……but the attachment points are quite feeble.

9E982AE2-24D5-41B3-BDC6-481A109F78BA.jpeg
Had to use a bit of filler on the fuselage seams, and the observers position add on was quite a poor fit, but nothing that a bit of filler and wet sanding couldn’t straighten out.

It is a good looking aircraft to my eyes, and is surprisingly small. Makes a 109 seem quite large ;)

Cheers all.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's looking good Tim.

True but when a fair bit of filler is needed it really slow down progress :smiling:
That’s when you work the grades of emery Jim. Start at about 400 grit and go up the numbers……just remember to wipe the surface clean between grades so you get a smooth surface.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
….and now we are ready for primer….
85615079-0A83-48AF-AE76-F4299C5A594C.jpeg
Airframe

E8344F25-4799-4E84-B8B7-EB5C336DB3F5.jpeg
Top wings, this is for primer only. The actual colours will be put on with them flat.

62140C72-484D-484E-ABC1-492999F607E7.jpeg
Bits that go on afterwards….

Should be primed by the weekend….
Cheers all.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking really good Tim! A shot of primer and it'll be even better. I think you really like these old wing thingy's, but you're not saying so!!! Fess up Buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really good Tim! A shot of primer and it'll be even better. I think you really like these old wing thingy's, but you're not saying so!!! Fess up Buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen. I do like em, but find they need a lot of planning and thinking so you get the painting, rigging, and final assembly in the right order. Not sure I’m completely home free on this one yet. It’s one case where I think larger scales have the edge because you can securely fit the wings and still have room to get paint between them, for example…..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Tim, I'm slightly jealous of your Roland. I said before it has nice lines, but look at those struts ! I'm sure they didn't need to be that curvy, but they are. What a nice touch.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim, I'm slightly jealous of your Roland. I said before it has nice lines, but look at those struts ! I'm sure they didn't need to be that curvy, but they are. What a nice touch.
Cheers Colin. Great aren’t they, really suit the smooth lines of the fuselage :thumb2: