Two wheeler special

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then, I cant have all the non-aircraft guys sitting around getting bored while I get the Aircraft SIG underway.

So the next little group to be given a gentle shove are the Biker boys. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

I propose a SIG build. Motorbikes. ANY year, any scale, road, racer, road-racer, off road,

trials, scrambler, with or with out a side car. Did I miss any? Oh yer Military bikes.

So what makes this a SIG build and not just a group build? Well you can get some very nice builds OOB. I want to see what you can do with all the PE and extras you can find and add to your build. (this is NOT a must, just think it would be great). There will be extra gold stars to those that include a figure. (remember though there is a family forum rule here ;) )

So Find your bike, get the PE, start a thread: Bike name+your name.

I propose a start date 1st April.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome please....

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I am up for this Ian, have a couple of bikes that would be good to do. This will be a great excuse to put the green and grey paint away for a good bit of building fun.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
ok count me in -but i would like to point out the first of April? Are you taking the warm yellow fliud?

good timing just after i posted my M1-09 with rossi on it. take a look its in the other section (the perfect combination)

simon

Last edited by a moderator:
D

delmonteman

Might have to hang fire on the 916 I've got lined up............

R

Richy C

View attachment 25790April the 1st , I might be able to make it fingers crossed , at the moment my stash and kit along with my whole house of stuff is in storage , myself wife and 2 little ones are lodging with friends at the moment but with a little bit of luck I can be involved , I`m desperate to get back modelling and its time my kawasaki ninja ZX-RR got done

If its possible I will be there gents

Richy

View attachment 31915

IMG_4159.jpg

F

Fenlander

It only starts in April Richy, there will be enough time to dive in at a later date

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
ok count me in -but i would like to point out the first of April? Are you taking the warm yellow fliud? good timing just after i posted my M1-09 with rossi on it. take a look its in the other section (the perfect combination)

simon
No warm yellow fluids here Si.

Actually your 'the perfect combination' is partially to blame for this SIG. Saw it and thought "Dash it thats good! We need a bike build!!

April start was suggested as this will give a month to sort things out and get things together.

OK I will open a thread : Biker build off.

Shall we stick to April, shall we stick to three months or should we go four. Hell you can always build two. ;)

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mark stonham

yes mate i think i might have ago. never worked with pe stuff before have to find bike no 3 for the job. how long do you get to build the bike.

M

m1ks

I'm up for this but for the fact that i'm literally just starting a Tamiya Ducati 916, as in i've unboxed, partially desprued, (did I just invent that?) and glued a couple of small parts.

Do I have to wait till April, i'd likely end up starting something else then still have it on the go :sad:

T

treyzx10r

Alright I'm in, got to get back to my roots right? I'm thinking the old GSX Katana from the 80's should do nicely ,been sitting in the stash too long anyway.

S

Spyderman_uk

I've got a bike kit I want to get built!

Herein lies my problem. I want to display my model with a rider, but with it being an older style bike I can't find anything suitable.

Anyone know of any 1/12 figures that would make suitable candidates?

Standing or sitting would be considered. I don't want a racing figure.

F

Fenlander

Always been a problem getting rider figures. With the amount of bikes out there, you would think it would be a good market for racers and 'civilian' figures.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
I've got a bike kit I want to get built! Herein lies my problem. I want to display my model with a rider, but with it being an older style bike I can't find anything suitable.

Have a look at dolls house resin figures. There isn't a huge choice but I have adapted a couple as figures on 1/12 scale model boats quite successfully. You might have to add some clothing from miliput or something similar and scratch build a helmet but there are possibilities. I made an officers cap out of wood and paper, added some computer generated badges and made a passable customs officer a couple of years ago.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I've got a bike kit I want to get built! Herein lies my problem. I want to display my model with a rider, but with it being an older style bike I can't find anything suitable.

Hi terry , saw this on e-bay but its a bit expensive having to buy the bike just to get the figure!! Unless you sold the bike kit minus the man after? cheers tony Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha XV1000 Virago with Touring Rider kit on eBay (end time 19-Mar-11 14:16:20 GMT)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
yes mate i think i might have ago. never worked with pe stuff before have to find bike no 3 for the job. how long do you get to build the bike.
I've suggested three months but if there is a call for it we can always say four.

The hardest part about PE work is taking the plunge! Once you got the first couple of bits sorted its not at all scary!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'm up for this but for the fact that i'm literally just starting a Tamiya Ducati 916, as in i've unboxed, partially desprued, (did I just invent that?) and glued a couple of small parts.Do I have to wait till April, i'd likely end up starting something else then still have it on the go :sad:
Well if it can be classed as hardly touched it yet, I dare say we can accept it. The big question is can you keep your fingers off of it until April 1st??? LOL

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:

Do you mean something like these?

Tamiya America Item #12506 | Motorsports Team Set

Found some a little closer to you: Model Hobbies Plastic model kits and diecast models for the enthusiast

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
John has made a forum for this entitled Biker Build Off. Please wheelie over and stake you place with model name and your name. eg. Harley Electra glide by Bunkerbarge. (sorry Richard, I can just see you on one of those ;) )

Ian M

M

m1ks

Theres not a great range of rider figures i'm aware of, other than racers, I remember the Virago one, many years ago in Beatties, (remember them), always thought the rider looked a bit too redneck though :smiling3:

I seem to recall seeing a Yamaha T-Max feet forward scooter with a rider? he'd need some minor surgery but do-able and if you can find some, Tamiya did a few Moto-x riders in various poses standing and riding.

The biggest problem is the riding position, most race style bike will have a much of a muchness position but there are so many types of machine to make riders for all would be tricky.