Type 5 Chi Ri

W

Weeman0000

Hey guys and girls.

I wasn't going to bother with a build post but i managed to get my tablet to take pictures instead of shutting down so i thought i might as well.

Building FineMolds Type 5 Chi-Ri which came in at about £40 from amazon.

Its Been a troublesome build with regards to paint. First off those colors aren't the actual IJA colors what so ever, but its all i have. So sorry :smiling3: Also the paints were so poor quality they needed two coats meaning the interior white is 6 coats thick, the base yellow is 2, green camo is another 2 coats and brown (which looks gray in the pics) is also 2 coats, so on the outside its 4 coats deep unless its yellow. I should have used the airbrush.

Tracks were time consuming with each link having a top and bottom and all being attached in two locations to 5 sprues, but omg magic tracks are lovely! However the instructions were wrong, the way they wanted me to do it was to link them all up and then glue the first and last together meaning two links would be static, i opted for each link to be its own part so when its time to fit the tracks ill just need to join the first and last with another link which will eliminate the static chunk.

As you can guess everything's brush painted (In a really hot room) and also this is my first ever camo attempt so its quite bad, made worse with the tablets useless camera. (I will use a better camera for the finished tank.

Um, Still got a fair amount of touching up to do. I didn't bother gluing the top and bottom hull parts together before doing the camo and thought doing it by eye on my first attempt with crap paints and an oven for a room was a good idea. Evidently not, but although its not perfect it does line up to the general area so its an easy job once glued.

Wheels are half way painted and the exhaust still needs done. I'm not 100% sure on how to do it. I want it looking rust but i don't want it to look out of place looking 500 years older than the tank.

Comes with some decals that ill apply after a matt varnish, then ill weather and finish it off in the usual hack and slash method im accustomed to xD Or i can just shout at it and call it loads of names until its fairly distressed and worn.

Comments welcome! but i do acknowledge that its quite crap so try not to point out the obvious LOL. Ill update it in the next few days once iv got more done.

Jason.

View attachment 116993

View attachment 116994

View attachment 116995

View attachment 116996

View attachment 116997

View attachment 116998

View attachment 116999

20150813_185655.jpg

20150813_185737.jpg

20150813_190202.jpg

20150813_185845.jpg

20150813_185855.jpg

20150813_190140.jpg

20150813_190150.jpg

Last edited:
D

dougie

I don't think it looks as bad as you say. It's a great effort for a hairy stick . Keep at it.

D

dubster72

Tri colour camo ( especially hard-edged) is never easy to do Jason & yours looks great! Believe me, using an airbrush to do it throws up almost as many problems as it solves ;)

Personally, I wouldn't apply the decals over a matt surface as you're just asking for silvering that way.

Better to gloss it, add the decals & then a pin wash & carry on with the weathering from there.

A matt coat is the last layer to go down.

Look forward to seeing more

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
Tri colour camo ( especially hard-edged) is never easy to do Jason & yours looks great! Believe me, using an airbrush to do it throws up almost as many problems as it solves ;)
Personally, I wouldn't apply the decals over a matt surface as you're just asking for silvering that way.

Better to gloss it, add the decals & then a pin wash & carry on with the weathering from there.

A matt coat is the last layer to go down.

Look forward to seeing more
Ahhh yeah, forgot about the decals reacting in that way! noted :smiling3:

N

noble

Looking good so far, and those camouflage colours ressemble modern Syrian army colours too.

scott

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
Looking good so far, and those camouflage colours ressemble modern Syrian army colours too.
scott
Suppose to be WW2 IJA jungle colors hahaha Japanese prototype with prototype camo maybe? :smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

UPDATE!

Done loads of stuff, mostly just wheels and hatches and adding another coat to things.

One thing that i wanted to show you all is the exhaust. I gave it two coats of matt enamel rust color then give it a few dabs of maskall and covered it twice with the base coat color. Once it was dry to the touch but not cured i found and removed the maskall giving the exhaust a worn but not completely rusty look with some paint peeling off.

Still needs weathered and all that jazz but i think it looks better than the tank! Quite chuffed with how it turned out.

Ill get some picks up once i get the hull gun in and glue it together and fix the camo where the two parts join.

As always, advice welcome :smiling3:

Jason.

[EDIT] And because of the tablets 1.8mp camera u cant see any of that sexy paint peeling :sad:

View attachment 117030

View attachment 117031

20150814_163126.jpg

20150814_163150.jpg

W

Weeman0000

Wow, apart from the pattern iv nailed it! Sand yellow, khaki drab and dirt brown i guess :smiling3:

[EDIT/UPDATE]

Wheels are about 80% done, need to wait on them drying before i can do the other side.

Main 75mm is drying and just needs installed into the mantle, then the mantle into the turret once the turret camo is complete.

Front cannon and MG are in as well as the two lower hatches (closed), everything's painted where that's concerned, just need to glue the hull parts together and that will be that.

Once the hull is together ill join the camo and install the wheels. then add the hatches to the top of the hull (open) then work on the turret until its all done.

Decals, varnish and weathering after that :smiling3:

View attachment 117049

20150814_193935.jpg

Last edited:
W

Weeman0000

\ said:
Here is a pic to show you.View attachment 128416
Im at some point going to get a PzIVH... If i remember rightly syria acquired a few after WW2, and i do want to do more camo, and i do have the colors... Its something to think about at least, cheers for the info!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I do real like the camo on this one Jason,great work, ;)

W

Weeman0000

Adding some washes to the inside then ill glue it up and leave it overnight. Might get a pic or two up in a couple of hours if im done :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
look forward to seeing the progress, ;)

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
look forward to seeing the progress, ;)
Glued the hull parts together but they don't quite fit, too tight at some bits, reallllllly loose at others, bust out the plaster and basically trashed the model pmsl!

So no pictures tonight, if i can salvage it tomorrow when im not high on paint, turps, glue, and maskall fumes ill get pics up, if i cant, it will quickly become one of those new fangled prototype flying tanks on a mission to the bin. ROFL

Also, forgot to add two bits for the exhaust, and with the hull now glued ill need to figure something out because if i don't there will just be two holes in the back :eek:

Why do they sell all these products when they know ill sit there for hours sniffing away at them and end up wrecking a days work hahahaha.

Last edited:
N

noble

Looking good matey nice neat camouflage and a nice tidy build.

Scott

D

dubster72

Always best to assemble the whole thing before starting the painting IMHO - saves having the problems you're facing Jason.

Hopefully you'll sort it though

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
Always best to assemble the whole thing before starting the painting IMHO - saves having the problems you're facing Jason.
Hopefully you'll sort it though
From experience its best to do some painting before hand, at least interior or small parts in tight places, the camo could have been left until last, but meh :P

Its fixable... Ill get something up, hopefully not something like this.

View attachment 117068

homer-bbq.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That looks good to me Jason .......... I like it. As for leaving a couple of bits off that should have gone on before you buttoned it .............. We've all been there matey. :D :D:D

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
That looks good to me Jason .......... I like it. As for leaving a couple of bits off that should have gone on before you buttoned it .............. We've all been there matey. :D :D:D
Im always there, in fact, that's where i call home, however i wanna move! lol

Also it looks good in those pics compared to now, still working on it, its getting there but its still not right :\

W

Weeman0000

[uPDATE #1]

Sorry about the rubbish pictures, but until its finished this will need to do.

Hulls... i dunno, backs still all messed up, camo still doesn't look right at parts and the whole things just weird. For the turret i didn't bother marking out where the camo would go, quite frankly i couldn't be bothered, still got one bit of green to put on the right side, but waiting for the brown to dry before i go ahead with it. needs linked up to the hull better but its not bad.

Wheels are all done, just need to paint some small parts to match the camo then the wheels can go on!

Turret needs camo painted and repainted if need be. You can see how patchy that green is in the pics... Then ill install the MG at the left and the main gun, then weather the inside with loads of dirty marks and seal it and camo the bottom of the turret :D

Ill update youz again later tonight for extra laughs :P

Jason.

View attachment 117089

View attachment 117090

View attachment 117091

View attachment 117092

View attachment 117093

20150815_162233.jpg

20150815_162255.jpg

20150815_162443.jpg

20150815_162456.jpg

20150815_162507.jpg