Type 5 Chi Ri

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats looking good so far Jason, :smiling3:

as for adding most bits ,I tend to add what real needs to be added,things like tools and ropes ,and the alikes i do leave off till last,

with your exhaust,you should be able to trim it back to fit in the hole,some times just sit and look and some think pops in your head around the problem ;)

W

Weeman0000

[uPDATE #2] Was going to get a pic or two up but it really just looks the same as it did earlier :P Wheels are all done, hull is basically done, just working on the turret but its slow going, camo needs time to dry then another bit of camo painted next to it which needs to dry and obv the paints useless so they need two coats so that's more time. Tomorrow i should have the turret finished and the wheels on.

Only thing left to do after all that is chipping and decals followed by weathering and washing. The tracks are still bare plastic... not sure what to do with them. My experience with working tracks is that they wont be working after painted. So im not going to risk painting these one... Would two dark washes followed by a rust wash then neutral wash work? 4 washes should have enough pigment to give a thin coat but leave it "mobile" right? Advice needed :smiling3:

Also if i brush pigments onto the model with turps, after brushing the dry pigment off would that be re-useable?

\ said:
thats looking good so far Jason, :smiling3:
as for adding most bits ,I tend to add what real needs to be added,things like tools and ropes ,and the alikes i do leave off till last,

with your exhaust,you should be able to trim it back to fit in the hole,some times just sit and look and some think pops in your head around the problem ;)
Already trimmed it to fit but it cant be glued in, just need to be careful i guess.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Once i take better pictures you will all be able to see how messed up it really is hahahaha.

Until tomorrow.

Jason.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Man, I like that model a lot! I'm a real fan of Jap armor, like the camo pattern also. Will have to look into more Jap stuff but the stash is so big can't see purchasing yet another kit, but Christmas is coming:rolleyes: Am on board for this one;)................Jim:smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

Cheers guys.

That's where im at the now, Ill need to leave it for 2/3 days to cure, after all it has like 40 coats of paint at parts :'(

Ill do the decals once its dry but then should i chip, apply a matt clear coat then weather or what order do those come in? clear coat after decals but before weathering would be my guess, give the dust/wash a nice matt surface instead of covering it under a varnish...

As stated above, tracks are still bare, They did seem too loose and saggy with 102 links, so i have taken them down to 101 links and that should give it sag but not overly loose. Still unsure how to paint them without making them stick together once the paints dry, or crack and show the plastic underneath if i try and move them after painting.

I have plenty of dark/black wash so that should be ok with two coats??

Enjoy the crude blurry picture and please point any crap parts out so i can fix them :smiling3:

Jason.

[EDIT] Seems like ill be out of action for a few days, got a very nasty flu/cough. Need to just eat soup and watch star trek the next generation until im better :sad: That's if i can even get out of bed. Slept all day today!

View attachment 117231

11903659_10152993220270598_1409737408_o.jpg

Last edited:
W

Weeman0000

[uPDATE!!!!]

Well i stopped coughing and dieing long enough to get this done. Still need to add rust to the hull and apply another coat of dark wash to the underside of the tracks and leave to cure, then i just need to weather the tracks, throw them at the tank and bust out the better camera :P

Please point out any flaws.

Cheers.

Jason.

View attachment 117837

View attachment 117838

View attachment 117839

View attachment 117840

View attachment 117841

View attachment 117842

View attachment 117843

20150825_225609.jpg

20150825_225643.jpg

20150825_225727.jpg

20150825_225833.jpg

20150825_225919.jpg

20150825_225951.jpg

20150825_230017.jpg

Last edited:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
No changes that I can see, so just continue on, we don't really judge here. Every one has their own style and favorite techniques, so we tend to stay off that slippery slope;) Judge meem was meant in jest I'm sure you know as there is no right or wrong way to build your model..............Jim:smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Nice kit, looking good! :cool:

You can soften the wash with a bit of pigment maybe?o_O

This reminds me of WoT..... :D

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
You can soften the wash with a bit of pigment maybe?o_O
Ill see about pigments once its all gone, altho i tend to get a bit carried away, either the pigments dont make it any different or its like iv just thrown a tub of pigment at it :P no happy medium haha.

Also i was going for a WoT look lol, the green wasn't dark enough for a true WoT chi ri, so that was out, so i tried a camo version instead, im guessing your talking about the chipped edges? TBH those pics had a rather bright light shawn at the model so it looks really prominent compared to without light :smiling3:

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
What? this model doesnt have bad matchmaking and wall to wall retardation :P

Also, next time your on and see a chi ri ull see they have the cupola on the wrong side of the turret hahaha

[edit] just realized its the stock turret that's wrong. Well its the chi nu turret by the looks of it. Doesn't have that classic overbearing mean look of the actual chi-ri turret :smiling3:

Im also reducing the wash as those pics were just after i gave it a wash/tidy, it wasn't dried enough to thin/work but now its quite faint :smiling3: If it still looks bad ill "deinstall" hobby and play tetris pmsl.

Last edited:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m liking this one Jason,the last set of pics it looks fine to me, ;)

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
I,m liking this one Jason,the last set of pics it looks fine to me, ;)
Thanks monica, Still working on it, i should be able to get a pic or two up tonight once i figure out what im doing with regards to rust.

I also have a photo etched exhaust cover, but im not sure if i should put it on or not. If its on you cant see the flaky paint and rust of the exhaust, if its off the exhaust blends into the model and doesn't stand out as much as i would like.

I COULD give it a black metal paint (or silver) and maybe bend it and put it on, it should make the back of the tank more eye catching while still allowing the exhaust to be seen. Im not sure.

Who else has had this sort of problem and how did you go about it?

Cheers

Jason

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I would do it in rust ,this will still show the exhaust and show were the smoke comes out in a very dark gray/black to show the smoke,

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
I would do it in rust ,this will still show the exhaust and show were the smoke comes out in a very dark gray/black to show the smoke,
Regardless of the cover there will be black smoke effects (Altho my black pigment seems overpowering) As for the cover, its more of a mesh guard, with all those holes im sure it would look weird with a rust effect :S im not 100% sure tho.

Looking at it now, maybe a rust/brown wash with some black in it might be do-able, but enamel washes on metal? Doubt that will work out well lol.

I think ill leave the guard for last. Ill rust and streak the hull/turret tonight after breakfast and once thats all done ill see about this, if it turns out hopelessly bad i can always bin it and leave it without one :smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
if you don,t like the real rust look,

use a bunt iron with rust streaks ,bunt iron is darker in color, ;)

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
if you don,t like the real rust look,
use a bunt iron with rust streaks ,bunt iron is darker in color, ;)
I could do that, but i think its because the mesh guard's holes are too small and close together meaning it blocks the view of the exhaust, but without it it looks naked :S No pics tonight tho, not finished the hull/turret :smiling3: