unconventional modelling materials list

B

backonthecase

Nice one richo - thread is almost always too "hairy" for our usem that solves the problem ;)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ooooo, this thread is good!

Here's a tip I swear I use on every model. A Precision Super Glue Applicator that anyone can make for next to nothing - and what's more it does a better job than most bought stuff.

Take a piece of dowel around 6 inches in length, stick a pin in one end and then cut the end off the pin with some wire cutters (protect your eyes when doing this). Now whittle the end of the dowel a little bit at the pin end (this will enable the tool to reach more difficult areas on a model). You now have your CA glue applicator.

View attachment 15506

To use:

1. Decant a small amount of CA into an old milk carton top.

View attachment 15505

2. Dip the 'tool' in the CA and 'pick up' a tiny amount of glue to put exactly where you want it - simple!

View attachment 15507

Hope this adds to the great suggestions so far.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 23800

View attachment 23801

View attachment 23802

CA Glue App 02.jpg

CA Glue App 01.jpg

CA Glue App 04.jpg

F

Fenlander

Nice one Paul, not only a great tip for a DIY tool but pictures showing it as well. Great presentation of a simple but great idea. I am off to make one now.

M

m1ks

A good and useful tip, i'll add though to possibly make things easier for Fenlander.

I use pretty much the same system but with an old needle chucked in my pin vice, (I got a pack of two and one gets used for drilling the other pretty much holds the needle all the time, I also use it (it gets cleaned of CA after every use), for scribing too.

B

backonthecase

To expand on this one slightly, I've seen elsewhere an idea where instead of a pin, it's a needle installed point-first into the dowel. then the eye is cut across, halfway up so it leaves a fork shape. This can then be used to pick up and apply thin CA or liquid cement.

HTH

Stuart

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Backonthecase, I've been thinking of how to make a CA accelerator tool - that sounds perfect. I may paint one of the 2 tools red or something just to tell them apart. Cool!

Cheers

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks,

Tony suggested I put a couple of the items I used for my GB on here for quick reference so here goes:

Dried herbs (the sort you buy already shredded in small bottles from people like Schwartz) make good leaves - use spray adhesive and just sprinkle away.

Baking powder makes good snow (I've heard of folks also using talcum powder). I use an old pepper pot as a shaker to get a more natural appearance. You can also use the pepper pot to add pastels etc for really heavy weathering effects.

Scouring pads can be torn up to provide small shrubs and bushes. They're really effective when covered with the herbs!

Someone's already mentioned that cheap jewellery is a source of small beads. But you also get chain, wire, and hooks and eyes (ever lost or broke a DF loop on a 'plane?). Some have coloured clear plastic which can be used for wingtip lights and silver sequins for the inside of headlights etc.

Large paper clips provide good stiff wire for reinforcing joins etc. I also use them inside hollow undercarriage legs. (I build 'planes mostly in 1/32 and 1/24 which are heavy - especially when you have to add weights for 'tail sitters'. Adding the reinforcement to the undercarriage seems like a good idea to me - even though I've not had any break as yet).

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Back again!

One I had to do yesterday. I lost a small grab handle to the carpet monster. I took another one the same size from the kit and placed it over one of the jaws of my fine nose pliers. I slid it up the jaw until it wedged where the jaw was the same width and marked the spot with a pencil. Guess where I put the bit of wire I was using to make the replacement before I bent it to shape!

Gern

A

Apokalipse

I found something interesting, while destroying random stuff. :smiling3:

Take one of these.

Cut off one end

Open it up untill you get some chrome strips. They're harder than BMF and of course a bit thicker, but I think people could find uses. Oh yeah and the other side of these look kind of like brushed aluminium.

But wait!

There is one last strip of metal bundled up between two layers of plastic.

It's shorter and isn't chrome. What you get depends on your luck I got an aluminium like strip and one that looks like copper.

Have fun!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Super glue casting on tanks.

All you need is a cheap bottle of super glue, (the runny stuff from the pound shop) and something as a tool. I just used a piece of thick wire (electric cooker wire). Right, the casting. Put some super glue on a piece of paper, dip your wire into the glue then spread it on the part you're "casting". Move the wire around until the glue just and i mean just starts to go off then leave it, because it dries quick the job is done in minutes.

Have fun, John

View attachment 27704

View attachment 27705

View attachment 27706

View attachment 27707

DSCF6269.jpg

DSCF6270.jpg

DSCF6268.jpg

DSCF6267.jpg

T

travellingman49

Got some great ideas of this thread,i use the inserts from' Ferrero Roche ' chocolats as paint mixing trays and the plastic boxes for keeping sub assemblies in until needed.

S

Shepherduke

You could also use the Muller yoghurt "corner" plastic containers for paint mixing.

M

msm2

This may have been mentioned before somewhere in this thread. Use Maramite as a paint mask.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
This may have been mentioned before somewhere in this thread. Use Maramite as a paint mask.
I'm sure that would work but I LOVE Marmite and wouldn't want to waste it! I'd probably lick it off before I even got the compressor turned on.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was going to say that masking is probably the best possible use for Marmite 'cos you certainly wouldn't want to put that stuff in your mouth - but I wouldn't want to upset Steve! :lol

Gern

B

Boldman

Agreed, best use for Marmite I've heard of... wouldn't want to eat that stuff!!! :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hii all , been a bit quiet on this thread for a bit so heres a quickie. Went to the poundshop today (poundworld) and saw these, Nail art gems. Thought they looked ideal for using for landing light lenses or headlights (the silver ,round ones) and nav lights or maybe brake lights (red and blue) As for the stars and hearts, maybe ill just glue em on my toenails!!,Seriously though theres 300 of the things in all shapes and colours so for a quid im sure theyll come in useful one day. heres the pic , cheers tony

View attachment 34857

P1090181 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hey Tony. Did you notice all the funny looks you got from the rest of the shoppers when you bought them? I know I got lots when I bought some cheap necklaces to get the hooks for my FW 190 build last year! :lol

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
C'mon Dave, let the poor lad go to bed........He's going to be airborne on his hols at 8am tomorrow, so he needs an early night! lol

Safe journey Tony.

Ron