unconventional modelling materials list

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont know if ive mentioned this before but an old TOOTHBRUSH is perfect for cleaning sanding residue out of recessed panel detail , also the bristles when cut out are excellent for many uses ie. 1/72 or 1/48 whip aerials and static dump wicks , or even pitot tubes on 1/144 planes , the advantage over stretched sprue is the nylon bristles are a lot springier so dont tend to break off as easily. Another use is ,if the handle is clear red or clear green you can cut off small bits and superglue them into the wings of aircraft to be sanded to shape and polished ,for great nav lights. cheers tony

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hello If you or your partner uses contact lenses you can use the sterlized solution bottle for many things inuse it to put my air brush cleaner in it (window cleaner)Should have gone to spec savers!!!

S

steveo3002

from the poundshop /market get one on those telescopic magent pick up tools , that gives several lengths of chrome tube that fits inside each other ...loads of uses

pounshop again...telephone extension lead , gives you several colours of thin wire

S

sharowjohn

How to beat the carpet monster.

Hi all,

Whilst cleaning out the junk cupboard the other day I found an old refrigerator salad bin,don't ask me why it was there but sit or stand at the work bench with it between your feet anything you drop goes in the bin. Alternatley if you are friendly with a local landlord the next time he has the pool table recovered scrounge a piece of the felt and make an apron as per jewlers goldsmiths etc. Sit with this across your lap, carpet monster starved and bits saved.

Cheers sharowjohn.:smile10:

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Continuing the contact lens theme, the little plastic cups which hold daily disposable contact lenses make perfect paint mixing pots for small quantities. Having used the lenses first, you will probably then be able to see what you are doing...

M

mule4468

For a cheap Model clamp - some coat hangers and in particular the ones for Womans' (is there any other?) dresses, have small clothes peg attachments. These are padded and are held together by a small metal sheet, are flexible enough to hold plastic - together e.g. wings etc.

P

punchy

Hi this could be of interest i used to do a bit of games workshop modelling when i was a kid and i found a good plant for trees bushes was heather so if your out walking in the hills remember to have a look you want to cut the heather close to the base where you will find the twiggy wood (i used to dry it out so the greenery is lost). Well might not suit everyone but worth a look and free.

R

roconnell

Humble Thistle

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my other thread but now that I have revealed what i used for creating long grass/reeds I shall now share on here.

I was walking the other day and spotted that the heads on some thistle remarkably looked like an brush and on closer inspection it got me thinking if I could use it as long grass as I had been looking for a cheap alternative for my long lasting dio I am still working on I started for the Normandy GB.

These are some shots of how it looks and what to look for when out walking. I imagine there are many more seeds like this that could be used in similar ways.

For the amount used in the picture this was all from one head and still more to go, so you wont need many if ever you get some, leaving some to propagate for next time! Would hate to think that all of a sudden there where report that there was a sudden decline in thistle species with scientists not sure why LOL!

Happy hunting

Rich

P.S Just be sure if you are picking wild flowers your not lucky enough to find a protected species, so think before you pick!

View attachment 37947

View attachment 37948

View attachment 37949

PIC_4353.jpg

PIC_4351.jpg

PIC_4348.jpg

P

phalinmegob

cannot claim credit for this one as i read it in a magazine but if any one needs 1/35 scale leaves to scatter on a dio then you can get the seed pod of a birch tree and l leave it to dry out and go brown. then when dried you can just rub it down with your finger and you have hundreds of tiny looking leaves. they can be left as is for dead leaves and a few painted in different colours for varying states of deadness.i have a pot full already but have not used them yet.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick ,Cheap airbrush holder

Heres a quick and very cheap way to make a holder for your airbrush when you need to put it down when theres still paint in the cup.( This probably only works on standard layout airbrushes so maybe wouldnt be any good for the pistol trigger types) Get yourself a plastic nozzle , the type you get with a tube of silicone or painters mate etc.( sometimes shops will give these free !! Bonus!) Cut the threaded end off at a point just larger than the end of your airbrush and cut a 45 degree angle on the narrow end. Then get a screw and put it inside and screw it to wherever you want ,the bench, the wall ,even a heavy enough block of wood. The airbrush should sit in at just the right angle so that it stays there and the cup should be just about level. Sounds Complicated? it really isnt , heres a pictorial guide , cheers tony:plane:

View attachment 38209

View attachment 38210

View attachment 38211

View attachment 38212

View attachment 38213

View attachment 38214

View attachment 38215

P1100108 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100109 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100110 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100119 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100111 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100117 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100118 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

709thsoldat

I have one,

Another method of making dirt, snow, concrete, stone,

is plaster of paris.

Mix up the plaster to a pancake batter, add acrylic paint of your choosing, and spread on diorama. If sand and some tan paint is mixed in, it makes great sand for desert dioramas.

Does anybody know of a good way to make Zimmerit? i have tried with putty, but it always was very hard to work with. I was thinking perhaps of white glue mixed with a fine powder of sorts. Any ideas?

Hope this helps.

-Chris.

B

backonthecase

Chris, the best bet for zimmerit is milliput fine, rolled really thin then stuck to the surface.

HTH

Stuart

709thsoldat

actually, in the meanwhile i have discovered that acrylic craft paint + white glue + flour is great, applied in the same manner, only much easier to work with.

T

Tony R

As a follow on to posts 82-86 - Something I discovered the other day was a use for those empty Revell /Humbrol liquid glue (needle) containers - Cleaned out they make great applicators for CA Adhesive. Put a blob of CA on a piece of scrap plastic and dip the tip of the needle into this, squeezing the container a little first . just enough to suck up a little CA into the needle . You can then use like a hypo to transfer the CA to exactly where it's needed, by gently squeezing the container again to push the CA out .... Make sure you empty the needle when finished, and you can always clean a clogged needle of any dried CA with a length of wire ... (I use a short length of plain guitar string which is quite rigid.)

Tony R

Last edited:
S

seasonman1

Drinking straws for moving paint from one or two jars to a third mixing container dip and place finger tightly over straw end few drips easy decanting for air brush mixing etc .

S

seasonman1

Use tops off Pringles boxes for mixing painting and thinning paint prior to air brushing or brush work .

S

seasonman1

Dried Acer ( Maple) leaves make great ground cover as it retains the colour even when fully dried . Crush in paper bag to size required and scatter on diorama . Instant Autumn ground cover !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ok peeps , heres one for all you choccy lovers! When using vallejo paints for brushing in small amounts ,the eye dropper bottle is a bit of a pain as you have to squeeze a bit of paint out onto something to brush from- what you could do with is a cheap disposable pallette , so how about this .Step 1- Get yourself to the poundshop and purchase a box of theseView attachment 39822 Step 2- Eat all the choccies (in one sitting if you want , I did !!!!)View attachment 39823 Step 3- you are now left with 15 half round single use palettes ,perfect for a few drops of your chosen vallejo paintsView attachment 39824 No more little splodges of paint on the cutting mat for me! ( health and safety warning: if you are allergic to nuts then get someone else to eat them for you!!LOL) cheers tony

View attachment 43615

View attachment 43616

View attachment 43617

P1100444 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100445 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100446 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

C

CDW

headlight lenses / porthole windows.

want some free headlight lenses / porthole windows etc, then get your favorite lady to go to Sainsburys.

Womens underwear hangers ...... i'll let the pictures say it all

They're 9mm across and you get 12 per hanger

View attachment 45025

View attachment 45026

Photo0436.jpg

Photo0437.jpg

Last edited: