Une Ferme Abandonnee.....and some squatters! Normandy, July 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
'bout time I tackled a dio.

As the title states, it'll be abandoned farm buildings in Normandy during WW2. To keep it compact it will be in 1/72.

I only have the vaguest idea (as usual), so I've sat me down with a beer and a bit of paper....Doodled, and let my imagination have free reign.

Here's the basic outline. But as usual, anything can change and probably will. This is what I love about building dioramas. I haven't a clue what I will remove and add, as ideas come into the gristle that sits on my neck!

The doodle.......

P1370763.JPG

Already altered and transferred to paper.
P1370762.JPG

Altered yet again......
The cut out ready to transfer to some foam board.
Bottom right is the start of the mill, so I'll be making a water wheel and a small stream etc.
P1370809.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts chaps.

No fire this time, just a bit of damage and a few slates nicked to show the roof woodwork.....Perhaps, maybe, who knows - Not I!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
He's the fire watch me thinks.......in case JR shows up with his matches. I'm parked in the back with the extinguishing apparatus with one eye out for Matron and to direct traffic when Idu and the boys show up! Top work on the blue prints there 570 keep it coming Sir! ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging and humorous posts, boys. :thumb2:

Idu and the lads won't make an appearance this time - But very soon will.......

Fire? Could well make an impression - or a big hole anyway!

I've transferred the template onto the foam board and scribed the detail using a steel rule, a 2H pencil and a No11 Swan Morton blade.

P1370811.JPG

Windows and door cut out. Then first coated 'La Maison' wall with children's watercolours. The timbers used in the construction of the 'real things' are very rough in size and shape,with no consistency.....Just as well!
P1370815.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last time you made a water mill, I could swear I saw fish swimming in the water! Looking forward to seeing how much they've grown!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the encouraging and humorous posts, boys. :thumb2:

Idu and the lads won't make an appearance this time - But very soon will.......

Fire? Could well make an entrance - or a big hole anyway!

I've transferred the template onto the foam board and scribed the detail using a steel rule, a 2H pencil and a No11 Swan Morton blade.

View attachment 496966

Windows and door cut out. Then first coated 'La Maison' wall with children's watercolours. The timbers used in the construction of the 'real things' are very rough in size and shape,with no consistency.....Just as well!
View attachment 496967

Cheers.
Ron
Sheesh Ron! I've watched loads of videos that are supposed to show how to create lifelike buildings and they all seem to include 47 zillion coats of paints and varnishes and washes and oils and who knows what else! And here's you doin' it with kiddies paints!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave and Graeme.

Sheesh Ron! I've watched loads of videos that are supposed to show how to create lifelike buildings and they all seem to include 47 zillion coats of paints and varnishes and washes and oils and who knows what else! And here's you doin' it with kiddies paints!

Dave. I don't think it matters what techniques or 'Stuff' we modelers adopt as long as the individual is happy with the result.

However, I do think certain methods are very long winded and sometimes quite unnecessary. Almost a 'Must use this' mentality.

On the other hand there are those who like to keep their builds and painting simple and straight forward.

I care not one jot which camp modelers fall into.....As long as those who follow the first route don't look down their noses and consider those following the second somehow inferior.

Here endeth the lesson.

Please put donations in the bowl as you leave ( No foreign currency or sweet wrappers please)

Love and peace to you all.

Rev. Ivor Caandell Older.