USS Blueback Sub Build

M

magpie

............By the way did you realize that when you crack your finger joints and make them ‘pop’ the noise is actually cavitation inside the joint. The ‘pop’ is the gas bubble collapsing within the joint as you cause a sudden reduction in pressure by opening the joint. The more often you do this the more damage you do to the joint and cavitation erosion will eventually cause arthritis.
Very good description of the cavitation effect Bunk! Much better than the ones I've read in the past. Most interesting. There are a lot of very cool subjects involving boats/ships etc.

The last paragraph re arthritis is particularly interesting to me as I have Rheumatoid arthritis myself. I thought the clicking you referred to that kids do, was just bones clicking. My joints are all very clicky but that's mostly due to large gaps and worn cartliage etc from the RA erosion. Some of it may also be cavitation as you said.

Regards

Jason

B

Bunkerbarge

Many years ago I was sat in a class at college doing a subject called Tribology, which is the science of how surfaces react and respond to each other and how lubricants affect this relationship. The science of lube oils is not far off the mark.

Anyway the guy asked the class what people popping thier fingers had in common with erosion of a propeller and, I have no idea why, I saw the connection, stuck up my hand and said "cavitation".

The fact that I was correct has stuck in my mind ever since! (Maybe it was rare!)

I agree with your thoughts on the cool subjects. Propeller design is an unbeleivably complex subject and yet most of them are, at the best, a compromise and, at the worst, such as controllable pitch props, bloody inefficient!

As with a lot of things though the really interesting, more traditional stuff is dying out as more and more technology takes over and the intervention of the engineer with his thought process is less and less of a requirement.

Only the other day we had a problem to solve whereby we wanted to remove a section of main seawater pipe, 4 foot diameter, and fit blanks but we could not get an effective isolation. The Deputy Chief suggested we run a pump on the line to vacate the line while we fitted the blanks. It worked and we saved ourselves a very big job. It is just this sort of thinking that we are loosing as technology takes over and we become isolated from the hardware that is working for us.

I agree though, I still enjoy playing around with traditional Marine Engineering concepts and the appliance of things I learned at college that I never thought I was going to use.

M

magpie

I still haven't received the battery for her yet, but put a 100gram lead bar in the battery bay and trimmed her in the dog bath with foam and lead. She'll start her sea trialls with her decks awash at full flood to save losing her before I get her sorted out. I'll add more lead later on.

The pic is with half the air in her.

A

ajg141

Very nice Magpie - I thought it was a real one when the pic appeared!

B

Bunkerbarge

Looks the business. I'm looking forward to seeing her on trials though.

Are there figures on the bridge? I can't quite make out the detail from the picture but it looks like there is a nice level of interest there.

M

magpie

Thanks guys!!!

The pics below show a bit more of the bridge. It’s not perfect, but fairly close to the real one I think. It has a hatch in the back of the cockpit and a snorkel and several masts/scopes etc. Simulated ones anyway. Like I said, “It’s not perfect”. I think it’ll look good out in the lake anyway.

Jason.

B

Bunkerbarge

Of course the downside of having the prop in all that lovely uninterupted water flow is that the rudders are nowhere near the wash. Hence the two rudders to try to compensate for this.

Compare this with a U-Boat where both rudders and both aft planes are directly in the prop wash making them very effective. I was actually very surprised at how well my Revel U-Boat steers with no modifications to any of the control surfaces.

It will be interesting to see how well this boat manoeuvres.

M

Mankster

Of course the downside of having the prop in all that lovely uninterupted water flow is that the rudders are nowhere near the wash. Hence the two rudders to try to compensate for this.Compare this with a U-Boat where both rudders and both aft planes are directly in the prop wash making them very effective. I was actually very surprised at how well my Revel U-Boat steers with no modifications to any of the control surfaces.

It will be interesting to see how well this boat manoeuvres.
I'm not sure of the theory behind this but the tightest turning sub sub I have seen anywhere is my 1/96 scale Bluback. Its about 28" LOA and can turn around inside 4" underwater (and those verical surfaces on the end of the rear planes actually slow down the turn) I have never seen a U Boat get anywhere near than ratio underwater. Maybe the props behind the rudder in Uboats are optimised for surface running?

img2365ut7.jpg

img2316gq0.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Interesting stuff. Are all three vertical surfaces fitted with rudders? I assume on the surface the central fin is doing nothing but underwater it obviously has an effect.

M

Mankster

The top and bottom rudders are connected and turn together. Those vertical surfaces on the horizontal planes are flank arrays on the real sub, and are fixed and inhibit turning rate as a side effect.

M

magpie

That's a very nice BB Mankster! I made my top rudder fixed like Steve's and will see how it goes. If it's too drunk to steer, I'll cut it off and articulate it later.

Jason

M

magpie

Sea Trials at Last!!!

I finally got my battery delivered and wired up to run the BB.

If I push her under initially, she gets all the air out and will then trim quite level. If I just put her in and dump the air, she sinks stern down and the tip of the bow stays dry. The air vents in the bow aren't big enough. This is why we do trial runs aye? If everything was perfect first up, we'd get bored. :roll:

The micro servos that I used, were ones that came with a radio from Hitec and aren't gutsy enough to drive the planes and rudder. It will move them slowly on the bench, but not at all under any load. I'll have to lash out for some high torque ones. I've got the linkages working as freely as I can and I think they're OK. I set the rudder at half starboard for the test and vid so she'd go around in a big ark. It worked OK. The people watching didn't notice that I wasn't steering it! I tried hard to find a spot with no hecklers, but they showed up. Always the way with subs aye?

Here’s a 5 minute video clip and slide show on the testing.

http://www.magpieyachts.com/files/BBseatrial16sept0CLake.wmv

Jason

B

Bunkerbarge

That looks superb Magpie. I'm glad the trials was so successfull and you are happy with her.

Thanks for the pictures, you do seem to have a decent stretch of water way there for your boating pleasure.

By the way you only get hecklers with subs because they don't understand!! :smiling3:

M

magpie

The BB performed well at the lake after the trimming work. Here's a video link of it. She's really finished this time. Really!

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely handling boat, thanks for the update. I'm sure you will get a great deal of pleasure from sailing her.

M

magpie

Sorry to inflict the board with more on my BB but here goes:

I took the Blueback out today after fitting a new rudder that I made for it and a general re-tune of it’s gear, and it went beautifully. I ran it close to flat-out for 45 minutes and tested the Lipo. It still had 7.4 volts and I can run it down to 6v before the low voltage switch cuts out the ESC. I’ve had an hour out of it before too. I’m very happy with the setup that I put in this one. The Lipo, Subtech belt drive and Mtronics ESC are a good combination and it has a standard servo on the rudder too, which is a big improvement on the micro I put in her initially which stripped a gear on the first run!

She’s a good little boat. Here’s a video of 6 minutes of her at it.

Jason