VII/41C U-boat

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Vallejo primer is very good. You just have to remember a few basics.A quick wipe over with IPA immediately before spraying, regardless of it being washed or not.

Although quick to dry, It needs at least 24 hours to cure. Once it has cured it is pretty darn tough.

Ian M
ok you got me with this Ian what is IPA ? plz ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
If anyone thinks for one minute I'm going to waste a single drop of Indian Pale Ale on a lump of plastic, forget it!

First Name
Dave
I do like these I converted the robbe rc model to static dive a few years ago would love to have another there is something about rc submarines that captures the imagination.

I have a few books on the u boats so any questions I'll look up for you.

Dave

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Derek,

I can see how that work,s cleans and dry in no time, ;)

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
Vallejo primer is very good. You just have to remember a few basics.A quick wipe over with IPA immediately before spraying, regardless of it being washed or not.

Although quick to dry, It needs at least 24 hours to cure. Once it has cured it is pretty darn tough.

Ian M
May try the IPA wipe before hand. The primer was left for 48hrs to dry...but it still came off.

Have primed now with my Halfords primer...so will try the IPA on my next model.

Thanks for the info.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking very good, ;)

like the color,s used,as i have the black/gray and it dose just add death ,along with the lighter gray ,looks great,

even with the problems of the primer,as i had some think simulate happen,in a couple of spots,it seamed like an oil spot

or some type of what not that did not wash off,and made the paint not set over that spot some what like a crumpet,look,

only on the odd spot her and there,:oops:

maybe you got a very old bottle of primer,:rolleyes:

how long is that ?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
the paintwork so far looks great,do wish i could use my AB,like that would real help, ;)

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
the paintwork so far looks great,do wish i could use my AB,like that would real help, ;)
Thanks. Just use nice things layers to build up the shading.

M

mk1rs

i would use a plastic primer from any car shop then top coat as this is whats used on plastic pars on cars

it goes on clear and you can get it in a spray can

W

Waffen Bucks

Right...decided to primer the conning tower etc with Vallejo primer (spent money on it, so may as well use it). Left it a whole week to cure...seems to have worked. Had no issues with it this time.

Have started on the camo work...used Vallejo White Grey for this.

Conning tower etc has been given a few pre-shading lines with German Dark Grey and then covered with Vallejo Light Grey.

Once that is cured, i'll start the White Grey camo on these sections.View attachment 98113

View attachment 98114

Uboat1.jpg

Uboat2.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking so good Andrew,real like the shading lines,and good job so far on the camo, ;)

W

Waffen Bucks

Right...some progress has been made over the weekend. Conning tower has been assembled, sprayed and give a little camouflage detail. Decking has also been painted.

Tried a pencil thin camouflage detail but couldn't seem to manage it with my airbrush. The bead/stream/line just wasn't thin enough for my liking. So may try it with a brush.

But it slowly coming together. Will paint the various doodads in the conning tower this week...hopefully. View attachment 98730

View attachment 98731

View attachment 98732

View attachment 98733

View attachment 98734

View attachment 98735

View attachment 98736

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG