VII/41C U-boat

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicely do real like the shades of the camo, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andrew, the more I see of your great build, the more excited I'm getting about opening the box on my 1/72 VII 41/C U. Boat!

This is a great thread to pick up tips and info too....

Ron

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
Andrew, the more I see of your great build, the more excited I'm getting about opening the box on my 1/72 VII 41/C U. Boat!This is a great thread to pick up tips and info too....

Ron
No problem Ron.

I haven't come across too many fit problems that a quick rub on a sanding stick hasn't sorted out.

The main decking comes in three portions. The aft portion of the deck was warped and when dry fitted on the hull, the end part of it was a good inch higher than the rest of the deck. But got a heat gun to it and gently straightened it out.

Bit of filler here and there to cover seam lines etc, but no fault with the kit.

W

Waffen Bucks

Started on the wavy camo pattern. Have done a bit with the airbrush and with a bristle brush, a nice wash will blend it nicely I reckon.

Assembled the main gun, that was a little fiddly. The support arm for one of the seats snapped in half, thankfully the carpet monster didn't get it. so a bit of super glue later and all is well. Just needs to be cleaned up a little and given another lick of paint.

I have seen the photo etched pieces for the gun etc, to scared to work with PE to be honest.View attachment 98917

View attachment 98918

Sub1.jpg

Sub2.jpg

W

Waffen Bucks

View attachment 100779

So...after a week at work, which meant a week away from the model bench/table/cutting mat...I have managed to place the conning tower and its accoutrements, on the deck. Although not shown in this pic, the wires have been place on the fore section of the U-boat. Aft wires are being done at the moment.

Once these are in place, it will be clear coated, decal place upon it, coated again and then weathered.

Must also get around to painting the plinth!!!

ATT_1424167739930_DSC_0001.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,

will be looking forward to see some weathering on it, ;)

W

Waffen Bucks

Almost there!!!!

Buttoned up all the little bits that needed to be done. Tower fixed down, wires glued on etc.

Covered it with a few layers of Pledge Floor Wax (aka Klear). First time I have used this product...worked well. Didn't have any issues with it. Used it through my cheaper Chinese airbrush, just in case!!

U-boot smelt lovely too :smiling3: Left to dry for 24hrs.

Have given it a dark wash using "Flory Models Dark Wash"...just in the process of cleaning some of it off.

Will do a bit of rusting later, with MIG rust effect and various Tamiya Weathering Dusts.

Last bit will be to place the NASDAP Battle Flag/Ensign on the flag pole. The kit comes with a little paper version (no Swastika). But I have printed a proper Battle Flag on some paper, so will attach this.

Have aged a photo to give it that oldie look...but once its all done, i'll get the SLR camera out and get some nice shots...I hope :D

View attachment 101512

IMG_20150226_110048.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work Andrew. I do like that last picture.

Waiting for the SLR "Nice shots"......

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice progress,and like Ron do like the last pic as well, ;)