Washing the kit before painting!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I stopped washing before assembly a good few years ago for the reasons Barry mentioned. Kit solvent glue will cut through any residual oil or grease left from the manufacturing process so it’s certainly not essential. I only wash sprues now if they are oily to the touch. It’s rare, but there are some manufacturers that still use release agent. Renedra (gaming figure moulders for several manufacturers) being one I have found.

Cleaning before painting is another kettle of fish. I do wash most models prior to priming, but not all. It depends how much filling and sanding I’ve had to do. Removing swarf and detritus left by the build clean up and fill sanding processes is essential to me. I usually do this with a dilute dish soap solution and a gentle scrub with a soft bristled brush. This does actually remove grease and oil as well, it’s what it’s designed to do after all, so it covers both bases. It’s also a lot more user friendly than other solvents and can be disposed of by pouring down the drain.

You may not need to clean grease off before before priming if there is no dust or swarf remaining after the build. This depends on the primer you intend to use. If you are using a water based primer you must remove grease and oil from handling because oil and water don’t mix and the primer will potentially not cover evenly or adhere properly. If you use solvent based primer, like the Tamiya mentioned by Mark above, the solvent in the primer will cut through and stick no problem at all.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Having to been to a few modelling shows over the years (which my partner, Aileen, calls "Smelly Modeller's Shows"), I think some of those present need to concentrate on washing themselves rather than their kits. Mind you, when I go to crafting shows with Aileen, we call those "Smelly Biddy Shows" for the same reason!

I'll get my coat.

Dave
My gaming mate and I always call wargaming shows the land of fat blokes in black T shirts……trouble is I fit that template these days ;)

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Having to been to a few modelling shows over the years (which my partner, Aileen, calls "Smelly Modeller's Shows"), I think some of those present need to concentrate on washing themselves rather than their kits. Mind you, when I go to crafting shows with Aileen, we call those "Smelly Biddy Shows" for the same reason!

I'll get my coat.

Dave
War gaming cons/tournaments are usually the same, "Gamer funk" was the term coined.
I always remember the storm caused by one organiser actually supplying a basic guide to attending which besides advice on bringing a bag, actual money and water/snack also involved showering, nail clipping and deodorant application before dressing in clean clothes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
War gaming cons/tournaments are usually the same, "Gamer funk" was the term coined.
I always remember the storm caused by one organiser actually supplying a basic guide to attending which besides advice on bringing a bag, actual money and water/snack also involved showering, nail clipping and deodorant application before dressing in clean clothes.
To be fair Karl, it was probably the first time some of them had got out for a month…..