What annoys you the most about aircraft kits?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
For me it's got to be decals, I'm building the 1/72 EE Canberra from revell and the decals are a nightmare , I know I want it to be as close as possible but when you see the decal sheet you realise it's going to take you longer to put the decals on thank build and paint the kit , also the instructions show a different aircraft to the one I'm building

So what's your annoyance ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That I cannot build one to save my life...:mad:

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That I cannot build one to save my life...:mad:Si:smiling3:
You could mate , I doubt they would be worse than mine :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Stencil decals are a pain. The Royal Navy aircraft have millions of the buggers! Health and safety warnings all over a machine that is designed to kill people...Go figure.

My real hair puller though has to be seatbelts. Either they look great or totally naff.

Ian M

P

Polux

What annoys me, the most, about aircraft kits....?

Just build one....

And I'm talking seriously!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
From the moment I open the box some of the buggers fight you all the way but I have not cracked yet great for character building I feel :mad: Lol

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
With me its no mojo and the kit will be taunting me,but i have one that i have a large mallet waiting for as it has pe on it aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!.

Peter t

L

Laurie

Frankly nothing really other wise I would not be building them. I am here for the pleasure not the pain.

Anything not quite right I enjoy the determination to right the wrong and to enjoy having achieved it.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Poor fitting & the subsequent amount of filling and sanding needed - as compared to armour kits ;)

B

Bunkerbarge

I really think there are good kits and bad kits in every genre so it is not really the type of kit that presents the challenge and I have built some pretty awful ones and some great ones across the board. As regards transfers I think the most difficult ones I have dealt with are curved ones on cars and bikes where they simply do not want to wrap around the complex curves of a car body or a bike fairing.

The one thing I do remember about making aircraft as a youngster was trying to paint the canopy frames by hand. This was long before masks, finely formed canopy edges, airbrushes and any other modern assistance. I remember painting an Airfix Hampden nose canopy and thinking what a mess I'd made of it!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
also the instructions show a different aircraft to the one I'm building
I always view the instructions as someone else's opinion which I can choose to ignore should I wish to do so :smiling3:

My annoyance is not specifically aircraft related. It's badly molded parts, flash, ejector pin marks and seam lines which I find tedious to clean up or fix. Unfortunately they will always be there to some extent on injection molded kits so I just have to get over it !

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Adrian
Mines more about after I've built it,, I build to enjoy and sometimes,, ok most times they are not historically accurate, so when they are on the table at shows I get the rivet counters pointing out stuff, I cant stress enough to them that I build for FUN!

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm with Laurie, I enjoy the whole process. If I'm not enjoying it I walk away for a few days. As for kit defects, it's all part of the enjoyment of turning a dodgy model into something half decent (although I have been known to inadvertently turn half decent kits into dodgy finished models). When I restarted modelling I used old kits I had from 20+ years ago. The newer recent kits have been easier to build but come with a lot more detail to handle, including decals. So you can either spend a lot of time correcting a bad shape, or a lot of time adding the detail demanded by modern kits. Either way enjoy it for what it is.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Wing to fuselage joins and eliminating those annoying seams across the fuselage

John

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are a fair few challenges in the build but that is part of the fun.

What I dont like though are, of course, the decals.... and p.e.....I don't get on well with the latter much of which ends up flying off not to be seen again. This material should really be left to the aftermarket and not be included in kit boxes giving you a choice.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Wing to fuselage joins and eliminating those annoying seams across the fuselageJohn
I think that the wing to fuselage join is something that does concern a lot of modellers, particularly if they are not 'habitual' aeroplane builders. There are many ways to minimise the stress of this. A couple are used by me almost routinely.

The first applies to all aspects of building a model and that is to dry fit well ahead. This should enable you to avoid either squeezing the fuselage making it to narrow to fit the wings properly, or having it too wide to fit. I have resorted to using lengths of sprue as spreaders to widen a fuselage by a couple of millimetres when fitting the cockpit has resulted in a slight narrowing.

The second ties in with my attitude to instructions (that they are simply someone else's opinion of how to put a kit together). Whereas a gap can be fairly easily fixed a step most definitely cannot. It is worth considering how you attach the wings. Sometimes it might be better to fix the upper wings (and these are separate on almost all kits) to the fuselage BEFORE attaching them to the lower wing(s). You should be able to make a nice even and stepless join with the fuselage. When you now attach the lower wing(s) you will find that rather than a step at the fuselage you may have a small gap at the wing leading edge and gaps, as mentioned above, are much easier to fill, fix and hide than steps.

It may also be worth fixing a lower wing assembly to the fuselage before adding the upper wings. The only way to find out what works is to plan and dry fit a couple of stages ahead.

Whatever you do check the dihedral (the angle of the wings relative to the fuselage). Ideally it should be correct but even more importantly the same on both sides. Nobody will notice a degree too much or little dihedral except you. Most people don't know the correct angle and won't have a protractor in their pocket anyway. Obviously the margin for compromise can't be too big or the model will just look wrong, but there is a little window. Everyone, even SWMBO, will notice if the model is asymmetric.

Fuselage seams are generally a simpler proposition. First and most obviously you must ensure that the two mating surface actually do mate. Sometimes a little sanding maybe needed and I've had to remove the little alignment 'pins' on more than one occasion when they were actually causing a misalignment! I then tape the two halves together and run a liquid cement into the join, squeezing the two halves together. You don't have to do the entire join in one go. Once finished leave it alone for the ooze of plastic which is filling the join and gluing the halves together to completely dry. I usually allow at least an hour. Remove the tape and scrape the excess ooze off with a blade. Scrape carefully along the seam, not across it. Nine times out of ten the seam will need no further filling at all.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
canopies..........i hate masking canopies!!
Tape and a new blade on the scalpel.......or buy pre-cut masks :smiling3:

I don't mind doing most canopies but a 1/72 Bf 110 was a bit tedious and for a 1/48 Lancaster a set of pre-cut masks was worth every penny!

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's all a learning curve for me, I think I've just worked out why my decal instructions are different to the aircraft I've built , this is the matchbox re-box and the instructions for the aircraft are the old matchbox one but the decal and paint instructions must be for a revell one as the pictures are very different to the look of the kit I've built , the little fiddley ones aren't a problem as I just have to put them where it says and the detail on the aircraft illustration doesn't matter but the lines on the engine nacelles don't match

Here's what I mean View attachment 86912

See the engines, now look at the model View attachment 86913

The lines over the nacelles are very different
image.jpg

image.jpg

L

Laurie

For me I love decals. It is the near finish of a model after all the work put in.

The model starts to come to life. Not far to go and it is on the shelf. You can then look at all you have achieved.

Every now and then I look at those finished and think that is all my work. The first I made and the last. I am very proud of what I have achieved and why not there is a lot of patience impatience expertise grind but there is an achievement. Grandsons all four when they come around head for the model room and I get question after question and I like that very much. After all grandsons are not impressed with to much OAPs do so this is a real plus.

So any model what ever faults I always finish before starting another. That is my rule. It is a challenge at times and I am up for it. I like challenges it is the very spice of life. Get through them and you have achieved. Not to and I would certainly feel a failure.

So yes moans at time but another challenge another day. Meet the day with intent.

Laurie