What annoys you the most about aircraft kits?

D

Doug Hughes

Nothing specifically annoys me, but I find I get less relaxed in the later stages of a model - decals and particularly varnishing. It takes me a long time to get to this stage and the thought of doing something that could spoil it all at this stage makes me a bit nervous. Having said that, it's a great feeling when you get the final coat of varnish on over the decals and everything looks good.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Painting is the bit that gets me most nervous! I enjoy painting, it's probably my favourite part of any build, but the potential for Mr Cockup to pay a visit is extremely high :smiling3:

I agree with Doug that getting that final varnish on and seeing everything look more or less as you hoped is a very satisfying feeling.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

Actual just thought of something which does annoy me.

I leave all the little bits which get knocked off to the last hour of the last day of well near minute to "stick em on".

Then as you gently place this lovely model on the shelf your hand accidentally knocks a bit off. Or senior son lifts it off the shelf for a magnified look at the finishes and has a senior moment as the rigging collapses. I have some choice phrases for these moments which generally get me through the situation or if not I repeat them. :cool:

Laurie

S

steve scan

I have found two things since I started knocking a few wingy things out, sorting out the weapons fit on modern aircraft research never seems to tally with the instructions and each picture I find seems slightly different to the last one and Trumpy give you lots of nice decals to put on the loads and no instructions on placing them! hence back to the first problem.

First Name
Neil
I only have the one small annoyance. You get the box, remove any sellotape holding the sides. Pick up the plastic bags with all those lovely sprues and look lovingly at them. Look at the decals and have a good look through the instructions. Open up the bags and carefully examine the sprues. And there is always a lovely smell, new models just smell so good don't they? They do have a distinct smell.

Then the minor issue, that would be the interface between the boxed kit and the completed article, ie muggins! :smiling3: In computer terms, it would be an ID 10 t issue in the PC/keyboard interface.

Neil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
In computer terms, it would be an ID 10 t issue in the PC/keyboard interface.
In my world we call a problem with the weak link in our control chain, always the human being, a BIP, for Biological Interface Problem :smiling3:

The human itself is just called a stupid b*stard!

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
In my world we call a problem with the weak link in our control chain, always the human being, a BIP, for Biological Interface Problem :smiling3: The human itself is just called a stupid b*stard!

Steve
They say every new airliner in the future will come with a dog. The computers will monitor the aeroplane systems and fly the aeroplane. The Pilot will monitor the computer systems and report any issues. The dog is there to attack the pilot if he tries to touch the controls.

D

Doug Hughes

\ said:
In my world we call a problem with the weak link in our control chain, always the human being, a BIP, for Biological Interface Problem :smiling3: The human itself is just called a stupid b*stard!

Steve
In the IT world talk of 'PICNIC' errors - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer. Maybe we've now got 'PICNIK' - Problem In Chair, Not In Kit.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
They say every new airliner in the future will come with a dog. The computers will monitor the aeroplane systems and fly the aeroplane. The Pilot will monitor the computer systems and report any issues. The dog is there to attack the pilot if he tries to touch the controls.
And the trolley dolly is there to feed the dog.....