William Marshal 1147-1219

P

Paul P

Hi all

many years ago I did a sculpt of a particular hero of mine, William Marshal, if you don't know anything about him look him up on google, its a great story. So I decided to do another one as a bust. I wasn't going to start it yet but I was messing about with some sculpey putty firm and started to do the head. So the basic shape is done with sculpey putty and then the detail is added with milliput

so the basic shape is there and I can then add some more wrinkles later

Paul

Z

Ziper_it

Hello Paul,

Excellent start.

May I ask you why two different kind of putty?

Francesco

P

Paul P

Francesco cheers mate. I use 2 different types of putty because I make the basic shape using sculpy putty, and then harden it in the oven, I then use milliput so that if I make a mistake I can remove it easily. if I use sculpy on top and then bake it, its a nightmare to remove if I need to.

Paul

P

Paul P

Francesco, I have tried different combinations of puttys, and this seems to suit me, I like sculpy because you harden it in the oven so you can work it for as long as you need to, but I also like milliput, I have tried others like green stuff but cant seem to get on with it.

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'd never heard of the bloke before, interesting fella.

P

Paul P

Joe he has been described as Englands greatest knight that no one heard of. if your into books and want a great read, and like history, try The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick, an amazing story about his life, and how no one has ever made a film of him I don't know.

heres a bit more, I started on the cone helmet, typical of its day, loads of rivets to be added and a nose guard

all for now, thanks for watching

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice sculpting work Paul, never fails to impress. I haven't seen a movie from around this period in history for a long time, not since all those Scottish hero films were about in the 90s (I know that lot happened much later)

Z

Ziper_it

\ said:
Francesco, I have tried different combinations of puttys, and this seems to suit me, I like sculpy because you harden it in the oven so you can work it for as long as you need to, but I also like milliput, I have tried others like green stuff but cant seem to get on with it.
Thanks Paul,

I feel more and more attracted by these figures. I think I should try to make one.

Francesco

P

Paul P

go for it Francesco. i would really like to see what you come up with

P

Paul P

heres a few pics of where old Billy is so far, the body is still made from sculpey, but I ordered pink by mistake:rolleyes:. you can see theres quite a bit done and ive started on the chainmail effect

I then tried the head on the torso and added the basic shape of the arms, once this was done I added the creases

I then started on the coif and added the chainmail effect

This is the tedious bit and takes an age, I added sculpey to the arms and also added the hood part of the coif

still plenty to do, thanks for looking in

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, great sculpting and detail Paul. A pleasure to watch this thread as always.

First Name
Andy
Hi Paul,

Stunning, stunning, stunning Sir, as Joe, I love watching your work come together, do you have a special tool for doing the chain-mail or do you have to do each link separately...

More please Sir... :smiling3:

Andy...

P

Paul P

cheers Joe and Andy. the chainmail is done with a syringe needle,file the point down and it leaves a C section, you.then indent the clay in rows first one way then the other on the next row. This leaves an S shape so just repeat until its all done

First Name
Andy
Hi Paul,

I really don't know how you have the patience to do each one of those links, it would drive me skatty...:confused:

Andy...

P

Paul P

Andy im already scatty so no change for me :sad:

Many thanks Scott, glad you like it

Heres where I am with old billy boy, most of the chainmail is done and ive added the leopard device to his Gambeson and also the belt, so loads done and still a bit more to go, I don't know whether to have him holding an Axe or a sword and then theres the shield to make

More to follow

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Totally gobsmacking as usual paul, i'm always in awe of anyone who can sculpt like this. You had me a bit scared though with the first pic of the body , I nearly spat out my coffee !!:eek: cheers tony

C

CDW

I've been watching this from the back, and it's up to your usual standards Paul... Fantastic, brilliant etc etc.

One little known fact is that when John asked "where would be a good place to sign the Magna carta" it was Billy-boy that said "I thinks it's best at the bottom on the dotted line as usual sir " :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

And are we being a little historically sneaky with the English leopard?

Frank Skinner admitted he should have recorded "three leopards on our shirt" for that football thing:smiling: