Yamato monster ship

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
There is a massive model of Yamato, in Kure Japan. Thinks it's 1/10??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is the 3rd 1/200 Yamoto I have seen released this year I think. The last was a German company and it looked better to be honest.

You can water-ski once you pass 20 knots, or so I have been told.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This is the 3rd 1/200 Yamoto I have seen released this year I think. The last was a German company and it looked better to be honest.

You can water-ski once you pass 20 knots, or so I have been told.
Think most are the same, heard they are off shoots of Trumpeter?

Water sking, no thanks. Would need a rear view mirror to spot a large fin following me and a powerful boat to drag me along lol

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
So, if the range finder is 35' above the sea, the horizon would be about 7 miles away. Can you calculate the speed of the ton and a half 18" projectile with a range of 26 miles when it hits it's target 7 miles away? Devastating.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So, if the range finder is 35' above the sea, the horizon would be about 7 miles away. Can you calculate the speed of the ton and a half 18" projectile with a range of 26 miles when it hits it's target 7 miles away? Devastating.
What’s more interesting Paul, is that at 26 miles the projectile would be dropping vertically, so would bypass the armoured belt located on the sides of the target and go straight through the deck…..the belt protected against horizontal shot impacts, which would be the result of a hit from 7 miles…….so the closer you were it would seem there was less chance of doing significant damage……

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There is a massive model of Yamato, in Kure Japan. Thinks it's 1/10??
It is:

1280px-Yamato_Museum_Interior.jpg

This is in the Yamato Museum in Kure.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking around the USS Alabama many years ago, we were in a room in which there were several 15 inch shells. A small boy asked his dad what it must have been like on the receiving end; the father said it must have seemed like it was raining exploding Volkswagens.
DSCF0028.JPG
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Still a worthy ship in its day Chris.
I built an airfix one and Warspite (I think).
Wasn't they instumentle in helping to get rid of Bismark?
HI Bob no my HMS TIGER C20 is a fairly modern ship an was not built when they went after bismark as mine 09-3829937-hms-blake-c99-.jpgwas built in the 50;s an 60's as she took 20yrs to build due to design changes an she finished up half battle crusier an half heicopter carrier with 4 seakings choppers on her pic above but this is her sister ship HMS BLAKE C99
chrisb

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
5 knots slower than the US Iowa class ships Bob…….not that quick really.
Hi Tim, true but i think Yamato was about 70000 T with Iowa about 45000 T?? Surviving crew said Yamato was capable of 29 to 30 knots, what ever 27 + is impressive at 70000 T! Surprised to read that in a rough sea Iowa class ships front turrets were useless?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Tim, true but i think Yamato was about 70000 T with Iowa about 45000 T?? Surviving crew said Yamato was capable of 29 to 30 knots, what ever 27 + is impressive at 70000 T! Surprised to read that in a rough sea Iowa class ships front turrets were useless?
YES Bob mate i heard she wheighd in at about 70000 tons as they dint worry about that battle ship wheight treaty an why were the Iowa guns useless was it because the waves came right up to the turrets ?
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
YES Bob mate i heard she wheighd in at about 70000 tons as they dint worry about that battle ship wheight treaty an why were the Iowa guns useless was it because the waves came right up to the turrets ?
chrisb
Yes, in the Vanguard book, she and think Iowa ( but one of the class anyway ) were in the Atlantic on a exercise in very poor weather, Vanguards front turrets were fully working but Iowa's unworkable.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yes, in the Vanguard book, she and think Iowa ( but one of the class anyway ) were in the Atlantic on a exercise in very poor weather, Vanguards front turrets were fully working but Iowa's unworkable.
WELL BOYO i dint know that i always thought that the iowa class ships were the bees knees of the battleships
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
No expert Chris, there's always some times heated discussion about who would win or lose.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking around the USS Alabama many years ago, we were in a room in which there were several 15 inch shells. A small boy asked his dad what it must have been like on the receiving end; the father said it must have seemed like it was raining exploding Volkswagens.
View attachment 458176
Pete
Thanks Pete, bet steel toe caps are not much use then lol