Yamato monster ship

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, in the Vanguard book, she and think Iowa ( but one of the class anyway ) were in the Atlantic on a exercise in very poor weather, Vanguards front turrets were fully working but Iowa's unworkable.
The secondary barbettes/batteries on those big battlewagons were usually unworkable in most heavy seas Bob…..never heard of a turret being unworkable though.
HMS Hood, for example, was known as the Navy’s biggest submarine because she was so wet in any sort of sea :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'll bet if you hit anything above the belt it would go missing & just ringing that (armor belt) bell would create lots of grief.
One of the belt hits at Jutland shoved a battleship armoured belt in about twelve inches at the point of impact….can’t remember which ship, but Bob might. The kinetic energy able to do that beggars belief…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s (one of the reasons) why some submarine bunkers had a double roof — though the main one was aerial bombs, of course. Though I suspect you would have to keep up the bombardment for a very long time to put something as large as a submarine bunker out of operation.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A couple of photos taken on the USS Massachusetts:P6130024.JPGP6130028.JPG
The first is a fragment of a 2,600 pound armour-piercing shell from the Massachusetts which penetrated 10.5 inches of armour and decking of the Frenach battleship Jean Bart, before exploding in an empty powder magazine at the battle of Casablanca/ The second photo is a section of the Massachusetts' main deck, with a hole caused by a shell from the shore battery.
Big old boat that Massachusetts!
P6130005.JPG
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
A couple of photos taken on the USS Massachusetts:View attachment 458256View attachment 458257
The first is a fragment of a 2,600 pound armour-piercing shell from the Massachusetts which penetrated 10.5 inches of armour and decking of the Frenach battleship Jean Bart, before exploding in an empty powder magazine at the battle of Casablanca/ The second photo is a section of the Massachusetts' main deck, with a hole caused by a shell from the shore battery.
Big old boat that Massachusetts!
View attachment 458258
Pete
What a magnificent view, what did we keep bugger all. Just imagine Warspite or Vanguard in Portsmouth, would spend hrs there but sadly no

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
One of the belt hits at Jutland shoved a battleship armoured belt in about twelve inches at the point of impact….can’t remember which ship, but Bob might. The kinetic energy able to do that beggars belief…..
Hi Tim

Not sure if this is the one, too warm to really look through the books

20220714_161908.jpg
This is the battlecruiser Von Der Tann, hit 4 times, at Jutland 2 x 15 inch Warspite and 2 x 13.5 inch by Tiger.

By that shook up the crew lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim

Not sure if this is the one, too warm to really look through the books

View attachment 458261
This is the battlecruiser Von Der Tann, hit 4 times, at Jutland 2 x 15 inch Warspite and 2 x 13.5 inch by Tiger.

By that shook up the crew lol
That might well be it Bob. Good catch…..

First Name
Hong
Looking around the USS Alabama many years ago, we were in a room in which there were several 15 inch shells. A small boy asked his dad what it must have been like on the receiving end; the father said it must have seemed like it was raining exploding Volkswagens.
View attachment 458176
Pete
I really wonder if any sailors sign their name, write a message on these shells before firing them.
Heck, I would do it!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I read somewhere that bomber ground crew were actively encouraged to write messages on the bombs to give them a greater feeling of involvement.
Pete

First Name
Hong
I read somewhere that bomber ground crew were actively encouraged to write messages on the bombs to give them a greater feeling of involvement.
Pete
if only someone would have compiled and documented all the messages in a book.............I bet it would be a great reading material.