you might get fed up with me!

S

stuart.c.82

Hello experts!

Returning to modelling after a 20+ year break!

Done lots as a kid & since my eldest son recently got an airfix easyfix kit for his b'day I've wondered with my age (& access to my own hard earned cash) Could I turn out those cars models of my childhood dreams?

I don't do things by halves so ...got a kit, gonna order a semi good airbrush and look for the local shop but also planning to pester you lot for advice

S

stuart.c.82

Question 1. Was thinking badger paints?(so no thinning required) but before painting I'm expecting plenty of prep. Can I prime with rattle cans? Or even distill the rattle can primer for the airbrush? And would this then need thinning?

F

Fenlander

Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.... Question, question.... Fed up of you already........ ;)

Only joking. Yes you can build great models but give it time, you may spoil a few first. Many prime with rattle cans but like anything else, it's a skill and a technique to do it well. Lots of light coats rather than one heavy will always work best. Don't bother decanting primer from the cans, it would be wasteful, very messy and, frankly, pointless. If you want to prime with the airbrush, there are some good primers available for just that.

Never used Badger paints so I can't comment on them but someone may have used them so be patient and you will get more answers.

Above all, don't get serious, modelling is fun, don't let it become anything else.

A

andyrobs

Hi Stuart, welcome to the best forums around mate.

No need to spend a fortune to start with, just get the basics, a few cheap kits, practice building and see if its still the hobby you remember!!!

Graham has already answered your questions well, theres always plenty of good advice available.

Cheers Andrew

M

Mark P

Halfords grey and white plastic primers are spot on Stuart! No need for expensive model primers ;) , I use revell paints for brush and airbrush work and love them (you do have to thin them though). Mainly enjoy what you are doing and don't get wrapped up in trying to make the model as good as the ones you see in shops! Lots of hints and tips on here and a lot of good guys and girls.

D

demon

Hi and welcome just my way I prime with tamiya grey primer but I warm the can up in a mug of hot water after shaking for a minute or so this makes the primer go on very thin especially in this weather then I use acrylics if you decant rattle can for airbrushing I have heard you should leave the paint open for an while to let the embedded propellants to evaporate

Roger

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Primer doesn't have to be used but I like many others do use it, just rattle cans to show any imperfections and also to give a key for top coat.

I haven't used badger paints either so cannot comment. I have used Vallejo air with good results.

Like you, I came back to modelling after many years and found the basics there but the skill lacking, better at it now but still learning.

As said, have fun, it is only plastic.

S

stuart.c.82

Thanks guys. There's plenty more questions where that came from!

Ok so another thing..........

Model I have to start on Chevy impala.. I really really wanted a 4 door (used to own one and wanted to restore it but that never happened) got a 2 door model. Can I cover the door seem and etch new grooves so it appears as a 4 door? If so what fillers do I use/do u recommend?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yes, you could use a modelling filler and once dry use a scribe to etch the door panels. Of course you will have to work out the lengths of the doors as the two door type would, more than likely, be longer.

First Name
Jimbob
Hi and welcome your question on primers I used halfords primer for a long time until it got too expensive I have found an alternative in tool station primer which is just as good and a good £2.00 cheaper. Main thing is just enjoy your modelling.

Jim

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Pound Shop Primer in a rattle can is just as good....... But make sure you get the one with the light grey lid..... not the dark grey as that is for cellulose paint....... Personally I can't see the point in paying any more than a quid for primer.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Stuart and welcome

Badger make probably the best modelling primer for the airbrush called Stynylrez (see link http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/144-stynylrez-primer )

It comes in five colours, lays down well in thin coats and quckly dries sufficiently to feather sand and, provided you have prepped the surface with a alcohol wipe to get any grease off, it does not pull away with masking tape. Best used with a 0.3 needle or bigger without thinning. It is acrylic and has no odour when you spray unlike those primers with solvents.

For paint I would recommend the extensive Vallejo Model Air range which can be sprayed without thinning with a 0.3 plus needle. http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/paints/vallejo-paints/model-air.html These are also acrylic, so no unsociable smells and they come in a decent size, 17ml, compared to 10ml for Tamiya and 14ml for Humbrol. Best of all they are in eye dropper bottles making them easy to squirt into an airbrush cup without mess. if you want to thin them I would suggest their own thinner which can also thin the Stynylrez.

D

dubster72

\ said:
For paint I would recommend the extensive Vallejo Model Air range which can be sprayed without thinning with a 0.3 plus needle. http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/paints/vallejo-paints/model-air.html These are also acrylic, and they come in a decent size, 17ml, compared to 10ml for Tamiya and 14ml for Humbrol.
Slightly disingenuous regarding the paint sizes Barry. The Model Air is ready to spray, whereas both the Tamiya & Humbrol need thinning to at least a 50/50 ratio. So in effect, the Tamiya gives 20ml of paint & the Humbrol tops the class with 28ml ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Slightly disingenuous regarding the paint sizes Barry. The Model Air is ready to spray, whereas both the Tamiya & Humbrol need thinning to at least a 50/50 ratio. So in effect, the Tamiya gives 20ml of paint & the Humbrol tops the class with 28ml ;)
True, but then you need to buy the thinner and getting the right thinning ratios is a real pain.

I also forgot to mention, The Vallejo MA can brush paint well, while the Tamiya are known to be awful with a brush and the Humbrol, well Humbrol are not exactly the best quality paints and they are particularly poor in an airbrush regardless of how you thin them. I used Humbrol (acrylics) at first when I got back into the hobby then tried VMA, no competition!!

S

stuart.c.82

Thanks guys. Gonna have a look at these Vallejo air paints, especially if you can brush paint the detailing with them too!!... Gonna find a shop local to me that stocks them rather than internet to start with.

What kind of shops do u look for?

RC car shops?? Or is there high street shop that has them hidden in a corner I've never been to?

S

stuart.c.82

Oooooh... Fillers? Any brand I should stay away from? I'm just looking to hide seems no major construction with it. do I aim strait towards the squadern white or is there something easier to use?

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks guys. Gonna have a look at these Vallejo air paints, especially if you can brush paint the detailing with them too!!... Gonna find a shop local to me that stocks them rather than internet to start with.
What kind of shops do u look for?

RC car shops?? Or is there high street shop that has them hidden in a corner I've never been to?
Stuart, although Vallejo Model Air can be used to brush paint, they absolutely need to go down over a primer coat first. So priming small parts is time-consuming & fiddly... I use Humbrol enamels for the small stuff as it goes on without the need for primer.

Obviously you don't want to end up buying lots of different brands of paint right from the off, but it's worth considering the downsides as well as the upsides of any type of paint.

Local model shops are in decline, so your location will be the main factor in finding a high-street retailer.

Cheers

Patrick

D

dubster72

\ said:
Oooooh... Fillers? Any brand I should stay away from? I'm just looking to hide seems no major construction with it. do I aim strait towards the squadern white or is there something easier to use?
Fillers? More than you can shake a large stick at!

Humbrol, Squadron Green/White, Vallejo, Delux Plastic, Milliput.... everyone has their particular favourite!

I use Humbrol & Milliput - the Humbrol because I can thin it with cellulose thinner for small gaps & Milliput because it doesn't shrink when curing, although mixing it up is a PITA because it's a two part affair.