you might get fed up with me!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to the forum Stuart.

Don't worry, people will be along with that much info., you'll get so confused, you won't know where to start!

I can't help with air brushes as I only brush paint. I use Vallejo Model Colour acrylics, watered down a tad and Vallejo Air straight from the bottle. For detail work I use Humbrol enamel - in the little tinlets. I mainly use two brushes - a No2 flat headed and a 00 fine point. Always use two or three thin coats. Too thick and you will get brush marks.

I use a tube of Humbrol Filler. It works fine, but there are others.

Enjoy your return to the hobby, but remember always have fun and don't take it too seriously....just like me!

As for buying stuff, you are already at one. Try the Scale Model Shop here on this forum.

Cheers,

Ron

S

stuart.c.82

Thanks Patrick, I might just get 8/10 Vallejo air main colours then and a dozen enamels in brighter colours. had a shop around the pound store and got some household basics (toothpicks, gloves, tweezers, spongie nail files etc) and just seen the tread for the Scale Model Shop so might be that guys best friend this month :smiling3: ......... Now.....How do I sign a wage check over again????:confused:

J

John Rixon

I used badger paints - air-opaque they were called - in vast quantities back in the day when I was an artist. I used them with a badger 200 single action brush, and they were truly excellent. I don't recall having situations like I get frequently with the Vallejo paints and my H&S airbrush (worms of semi cured paint, general blockages and splattering, despite a thorough brush cleaning regime) *, and they have a beautiful finish. The advantage of Vallejo is that they have a great range of colours suited to our hobby, but then so do other manufacturers. I've recently tried Lifecolor paints, and I'm very impressed with them, and I'm coming to the conclusion, after some serious head-scratching, that the handy dropper bottles might be part of the problem! more on this later!

* I now know it's NOT my airbrush that is the problem with Acrylic primers, and other vallejo paints. Some paints are worse than others, the metallic ones in particular, I'm never putting them in my airbrush again!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I use this filler.......... It is a needle point, no waste, sands easily. I gave up on Squadron.

filler.jpg