Zvezda 1/72 SA-22 Greyhound

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You made short work of the build and it looks good too:thumb2:
Looking forward to seeing how the paint work goes…..I’m sure you’ll do fine with a brush :cool:

It doesn’t matter how many models you’ve built, you learn something with each one :smiling3:
Every days a school day with moggeling :nerd:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good grief, I'm out of breath just doing the catchup.... Brilliant build Andy even if as you say oob.
Wipers - thin stretched sprue cemented to a thin strip of paper, that is how I do mine, once painted you will not know the difference.
AK Real Colors do a 'White Grey' RC003, not as glaring as pure white.
Mike.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jakko, Si & Mike, glad you're liking it so far.

I guess I should have done more research on the Tamiya paint before ordering but John was out of stock of the other brands I normally use so it was a panic buy lol. I already have plenty of gloss white, it seems I should have bought LP4, matt white.

Having slept on it, I did get some of their insignia white too, with a view to using it to tone down the stark bright basecoat. I'll try a test spray first and hope it's matt, or at least satin, as that will save a bit of trouble. If not I'll see how the Mr Color matting agent works with it, to cut out the varnish step.

What a palaver! :smiling5: I should have just searched further afield for the C-62 I normally use lol

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Fantastic progress Andy, and that kit is very detailed for the scale isn't it?
Looking really nice mate.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a great job of this very nice looking kit. There are certainly a lot of "things on sticks"!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it seems I should have bought LP4, matt white.
Oh, handy …at least with their normal acrylics it’s clear from the paint number if it’s matt or not, I guess they forgot that convenience with the lacquers?

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy,
I have made purchases from Russia before. I can speak (and read) a little so if you want to make a purchase send me a pm and I’ll give you a hand filling out pertinent details:thumb2:
I did find an etch detail set for this by SG modelling that includes wipers, amongst other upgrades, which I would have liked but can only find retailers in Russia.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The build phase is complete, although I have a bazillion sub assemblies at the moment. I chose my usual black primer, which might seem an odd choice for a mainly white camo, but I had a plan.

View attachment 494337

After priming I decided to completely change my mind :smiling5:

Originally I was going to reverse mask, so apply the black, mask those sections out and do the grey, then mask again and spray the white. Fairly straightforward but I figured I'd challenge myself a bit more and try to brush paint the camo instead.

Easy for many I know, but I've never been any good at getting a decent brush finish on larger areas so it's about time I got some practice in.

So on went a basecoat of white. I tried out some Tamiya lacquer on this (LP2) which sprayed and covered very well, but I didn't realise it was gloss. This will only hamper the brush painting even more for me so it might get a quick blast of satin or matt varnish to give the AK acrylics a chance of staying where I (try to) put them.

View attachment 494338
I think the varnish application is serendipitous - You could weather the base coat then apply cam on top - matt/ satin varnish then weather cam?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic progress Andy, and that kit is very detailed for the scale isn't it?
Looking really nice mate.
Thanks Garry. Yes, really well detailed for 1/72 I think.
What a great job of this very nice looking kit. There are certainly a lot of "things on sticks"!
Cheers Jim. Hopefully the stick count can go down dramatically now there's some colour in all the nooks and crannies.
Oh, handy …at least with their normal acrylics it’s clear from the paint number if it’s matt or not, I guess they forgot that convenience with the lacquers?
Yes, I can't even see it written on the jar. Not in English anyway lol

Thanks Paul & Andrea but I think I'm way beyond the point of adding etch. I appreciate the offer and link though :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
This is really looking good mate, you have made a great job of a nicely detailed build.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul. I've spent the afternoon mostly breaking bits off as I try and assemble it :smiling5:

The Tamiya insignia white did the trick, nice and matt. I'll be doing more work on the white but at least it's good enough for me to start nailing it together. Very fiddly and there have been some casualties, most notably the front mudguards with their tiny mounting points, but hopefully I'll be able to drill & pin them back on.

Here's probably the last I'll see of the engine:

1000005109.jpg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul. I've spent the afternoon mostly breaking bits off as I try and assemble it :smiling5:

The Tamiya insignia white did the trick, nice and matt. I'll be doing more work on the white but at least it's good enough for me to start nailing it together. Very fiddly and there have been some casualties, most notably the front mudguards with their tiny mounting points, but hopefully I'll be able to drill & pin them back on.

Here's probably the last I'll see of the engine:

As long as something works - that’s all that matters. This isn’t normally my era but this is a beautiful little kit. I’m noting that 72 is becoming the new 32! The detail is amazing - however it does call for more of a steady hand and ‘spatial awareness’ as parts are so small! Very impressive sir!:thumb2::cool:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Paul. I'm sure some of the guys on here could improve it even further but it's more than detailed enough for me.

Tiny parts means tricky painting though lol. I've looked at as many pictures as I could find and certain elements come in a variety of colours, so I've fudged things a bit. I also spent ages trying to get the grey right for the camo, ending up mixing 3 colours to get the cold grey I was looking for.

With my workhorse #4 brush just about ready for the scrapyard there's plenty of tidy-up needed around the edges but the main blocking in is done. I'm hoping to get the black done over the weekend.

2023-11-03 18.03.29-1.jpg

2023-11-03 18.03.39-1.jpg2023-11-03 18.40.37-1.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very nice painting, if you say some things need to be touched up then I’ll believe you, even though I can’t see any :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If being banished to the cave results in this , wow. Rather late, but had the chance to read your posts. Most impressive, and so small with all that detail .Paint work is as expected, brilliant Andy .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Paul, Nick, Jakko and John, thank you very much for your comments. Much appreciated!

I didn't think it was looking particularly good just yet myself but I guess we are our own worst critics :smiling3: