1/12 Airfix Imperial Guard Grenadier

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Late for parade Miller, take two extras! Can't believe I've only just noticed this. Amazing work already Neil. Definitely following so I'll just perch on the brandy barrel at the back. I promise I won't drink all of it!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Many thanks Scottie, Jon, Tim, Peter and 'welcome' to Alex.
You better be sharp with that brandy as the rabble are in........

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wow! Luv what you have done to the backpack. Stunning work

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok we are back with this boy after a little break.

I’m still avoiding doing the buttons, but one thing that has been taxing my brain cell is how to represent the braid on the bearskin.
IMG_20200520_172605097_HDR.jpg
Now I’ve started these ‘improvements’ there’s no going back.
Looking at re-enactor images it’s quite a specific pattern, not just a plait.
10-080.jpg
(Image for reference only)

I didn’t fancy trying to sculpt it so I decided to figure out how to do it for real. I started at a large scale, before attempting it at the proper size. I used a shoe lace, and eventually, calling on sewing skills learnt during my stage design course at art school, it clicked that it is basically a chain stitch from embroidery.
IMG_20200605_110912349_HDR.jpg
It still took me hours to work it out, and then I forgot how to do it so it took me just as many hours to work it out again!

Once I had managed that the next problem to solve was what cord to use in miniature. I had high hopes for the solder but it was not as easy as I thought and then it work-hardened and broke.

I didn’t want to use sewing thread because of the hairiness, but after I had tried fishing line and silicone rubber, I kind of had to, but I wasn’t very happy.
IMG_20200605_111154964_HDR.jpg

I was just resigning myself to waxing the thread (another sewing trick), when I thought ‘what I need is some tiny insulated wire’, and then I remembered this

IMG_20200605_100233198_HDR.jpg
It’s a lighting kit from my daughters’ doll’s house from 20, no 30 odd years ago.:flushed:

And what do you know? Absolutely perfect for the job. And not only that- I knew EXACTLY where to find it.

Result!
IMG_20200605_105345493_HDR.jpg

This is how the chain stitch works. It’s quite tricky to keep all the loops the same size and the tension the same-it’s also important to keep the two strands parallel in the loops, and not twisted.

IMG_20200605_111259431_HDR.jpg
So I’m a happy bunny today- just goes to show you should never throw anything away!

I’ve made a start with the bearskin, got rid of the old braid and started the texturing of the fur.

But then there are these……………
-23563.jpg
I believe they are called raquettes – I wonder why?

thanks for looking
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Possibly because they look a little like basket weave snowshoes? Good luck with them though, they will be way harder than the chain stitch cords (which are fantastic)......Then you only have to do the Pom poms.....this one is going to look spectacular when it’s done!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A really good job Neal.Always nice to find some stuff in stash to solve a problem.Ive been trying to sculpt straw hats this week for busts and hmm interesting and loads of foul lsnguage
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

You don't do things the easy way do you Neal? The cords are superb - sheer artistry.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Possibly because they look a little like basket weave snowshoes? Good luck with them though, they will be way harder than the chain stitch cords (which are fantastic)......Then you only have to do the Pom poms.....this one is going to look spectacular when it’s done!
cheers Tim

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Keep up the weaving Neil, and you will be a complete basket case! Outstanding work. Quite insane, but outstanding.