1/16 US Tankers Vignette

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - Many thanks,

Ralph - Cheers. Hopefully he looks a bit Brad-like.

The head is finished:

100_7075.JPG100_7076.JPG100_7077.JPG

This was very challenging to paint. The sculptor has caught Brad Pitt's cragginess to a tee, but it meant a lot of paint-brush excavation to try and do it justice.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oooo, these fellas are right up my street! These 2 figures look really well sculpted (Brad from a 3D electronic scan possibly). Matched with your painting skills these 2 will be special. And yes, Brad does indeed look like Brad.
You need a 1/16 Sherman to go with these guys!

Top work as usual

Cheers
Paul

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Congratulations on the first figure Peter. Up to your usual high standards. Nice to see Brad has made an appearance. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out also.

D

Deleted member 6559

Paul - They are a fine pair of sculpts and lovely to paint. There is so much detail on Brad's face that I think it must have been scanned from the 1/10 bust of the same subject. Unfortunately I don't have a spare £200+ to spend on a 1/16 Sherman, nor would my wife approve of me spending so much on a single kit! As it is, they're going to be mounted together on a single base. Details later.

Steve - Glad you like figure number one. Pleased to have got Brad's head over and done with.

D

Deleted member 6559

The materials for the base. The first is a plaster paving and wall section from FoG Models with some extra bricks:

100_7078.JPG

And second, these photo-etched ammo crates from Peddinghaus:

100_7057.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
well... it's gonna be super as usual...

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jason and Greg.

I've actually stripped the head down and will attempt to re-paint it tomorrow. Just wasn't happy with it.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Made it before you paint loads mate,He certainly looks like Brad.Ive never watched glory just a documentary how they made stuff.Never been much of a film fan unlike my wife.
Carry on carruthers.
Rich.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Not a bad attempt, do you have a Fury still of the "man"

fury-brad-pitt.jpg

Could even be the basis for the sculpt?

Better luck with today's attempt, he certainly is craggy in Fury and rather mucky too!

Its another grey start, though yesterday did brighten up.

Another day in the attic, about 30% done but plenty more to get sorted, we shall leave the 6 boxes of VHS tapes in the attic when we move!

We don't even have a VHS player any longer! Everything is either on NetFlix or You Tube!

Savoury baking today, cheese & onion pasties, veggie sausage rolls and carrot & coriander soup on the stove today.

Cakes tomorrow, as I need some ingredients from the delivery

Have a good day with Brad, I am sure you will get him just right today

Regards

Steve H

First Name
Jason
Hi Peter... seems a shame to strip him down but I know that feeling that gnaws at you when you're not happy with something... I'll check in later for the results!
Jason.

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - New pics to follow.

Richard - I won't offer my opinion of 'Fury' as someone is bound to disagree and start an argument. Thanks for looking in.

Steve - As I never intended to do a Fury vignette, I wasn't too bothered about getting a likeness - I had intended to swap the head initially. However, once I started it seemed important to get a reasonable likeness of Brad. Our loft is full of old VHS videos as well, mostly kids stuff. We do mean to clear it all out at some point, but Katherine is not too good at throwing useless stuff away - ''We could use it as a plant pot'' etc etc.

Jason - Sometimes it's just gotta go in the Mr Muscle.

So, the re-painted head:

100_7079.JPG100_7080.JPG100_7081.JPG

The main problem with the first effort was that I didn't understand the structure of the eyes and covered a lot of the detail in shadow. Stripping it down enabled me to have a good look at the thing and plan things a bit better. It also took me a while to resolve the scars, which in the film appear to be burns (he has more on his back) - I may tone them down a bit, though they do add character.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks good, I think the facial scars are shrapnel?

The burn scars would be broader and still red as the film shows, he has on his back

It seems he might have been an early survivor of the Sherman "Tommy Cooker"!

The interweb says its a pre war accident?

Should be a good day on the jacket, another light palette with nicely sculpted drapery.

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, the face and jacket are well done. I like the way you've painted the face on this figure.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You can certainly see the difference in the facial work. It must have been a pain in the derriere to redo but well worth it. Lovely work sir.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - Thanks for the info re the scars - as long as they read as such on the figure, then I'm happy. I did see on t'internet that the prosthesis for the back scars was for sale - who'd want that? On to the jacket today.....

Richard - Many thanks.

Stevie J - It was a pain to have to re-do, though it was slightly quicker, as I'd worked out some of the problems the first time around. Thanks for looking in.