1/35 Bronco Gaz-69 2P26 ATM 'Baby Carriage'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I'm away from the bench ( poor health ), I've been thinking on what to build next, after finishing my AEW Gannet..............................
122195-10404-pristine.jpg
The 2P26 was a variant of the standard Gaz light truck, carrying 4 x 3M6 Shmel Anti Tank missiles. The missiles - NATO name AT-1 Snapper, were first generation wire guide weapons, introduced in 1960.
I'll put some sprue & detail shots up before I start.
There is a problem, though it's called 'baby carriage, because of its' resemblance to a pram (?!) - pictures for discussion purposes only bb1.jpgbb3.jpg

The box top shows the hood, foldedhood.jpg

But, as a total cop out, the instructions just show the naked tubular frame!, whether in firing, or travel position. P1060202.JPGP1060203.JPG

I'm thinking of how to represent the folded canvas, my first idea was paper ( as I've used in tarp covers ), but I don't think I can get the folds to lie properly. My next idea is aluminium foil, which I can form, and get to stay in position.
ANYBODY with any thoughts on how to model this? The frame is quite flimsy, so any solution would have to be lightweight. Just the folded position, you wouldn't want to hide the nicely detailed missiles, and a working version is a step too far!!!!!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
First off I hope your health improves and you get back to the bench soon. Cute little truck but looks as though it packs a punch. It does remind me of the hood on those old fashioned Silver Cross prams. Can't suggest anything for the canvas although your aluminium foil idea sounds good.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
I had a diabetic hypo on Thursday ( my own fault! ) - it really knocks me down. leaves me weak & shaky. It usually takes me 4 or 5 days to get over it ( I only manage 2 or 3 a year, thankfully! ). Luckily, I managed to get home before it really took effect & got to my emergency glucose tablets & Mars bar. If it had happened an hour earlier, I'd probably have had a visit to A&E!
It's rather annoying that Bronco just ignore the folding part of the hood - just a template of the size needed would show that they had thought of it!
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
if you have any of those little moist wipes used for cleaning glasses, try letting one dry out .............i keep thinking they would make great tarps, dont see why it wouldnt make canvas too

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for things to dry on my Gannet AEW, I've taken a few sprue shots & details before any construction starts The parts are well moulded, no flash, perhaps a little overengineered..................P1060218.JPGP1060213.JPG

One piece chassis - not a very big model, but loads of partsP1060205.JPG
There are two sets of wheels, one road set, another a bit knobblier!
P1060207.JPG
Slide moulding used - these are the headlight casingsP1060211.JPGP1060212.JPG
Floorpan & cab backwallP1060214.JPG

P1060206.JPG
2 of the missiles

P1060210.JPG

P1060215.JPGP1060217.JPG
The frames for the pram top........................P1060216.JPG
Hmm not sure that really works, but........................P1060209.JPG
PE & decals
P1060219.JPG

One option - Russian Green! Given that the 2P26 was operated by most Warsaw Pact Countries, and others, like Syria & Egypt, that's a little disappointing - I'll have to kook around for some alternatives. Construction will start shortly
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are photos of these finished in sand over olive drab (I think) which would be an option for a more colourful scheme.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction under way. I seem to have spent a few hours at the bench, and not a lot to show for it. This is mainly due to the PE - I was determined that I was going to use the supplied PE.......

P1060227.JPG
P1060228.JPG

I'm not really sure why PE was used, there are similar all plastic parts on the sprues - it just makes it trickier!P1060229.JPG

These two PE brackets surely could have been moulded?

Anyway - after a lot of holding my breath, and tweezer work P1060231.JPG

The engine is a multi-part assembly - none of which will be seen, as I intend to have the bonnet closed - it's needed, though to locate the exhaust pipe, radiator, and drive shaft!
It's not going to be very big, just over 110mm long x 60 wide.
Here's the state of play for today - it all seems to be rather fragile, I think I'm going to have to strengthen the joints, with drops of CA P1060232.JPG

I'll leave this overnight, to really harden off then more suspension bits.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Continued assembly - The Bronco instructions can be pretty vague about positioning parts - I've left off the steering arm - that joins up with the steering column, which isn't fitted until about 6 stages later!P1060233.JPGP1060234.JPGP1060236.JPG

You have to dry fit the parts several ways - to find the correct position - the exhaust pipe is like this- it isn't clear that whether it goes inside or outside the chassis - and all the subsequent assembly drawings show the vehicle from the other side! The chassis is now complete, and I can move on to the floor pan
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Even for a chassis that looks quite busy, I must say.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing I've noticed - I don't know if it's an error, but there aren't any shock absorbers. It could be the GAZ was really rustic, but I would have expected to see them on a vehicle that carried missiles around..........
Dave

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Probably lever arm shockers Dave. Aren't they the bits that connect to the PE near the centre of each spring?
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Aren't they the parts linked by the PE? Not telescopic shock absorbers like we have these days, but the lever arm type

Oops, beaten to it :smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hmm - could be, but they look far too weedy to absorb any shock - I thought that they might be chassis lubricators, but Russian Automotive engineering isn't my strong point!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I hate to get pedantic but it is a particular niggle of mine that the term "shock absorber", although widely used (even by myself), is actually an incorrect description. The springs do the work of absorbing shocks, the part in question is better called a damper as it damps the oscillation of the spring through resistance, either by forcing oil through small holes as in a modern telescopic damper, or by friction plates sliding against each other as in the lever arm type depicted in your model.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry, reading that back this morning it sounds a bit harsh, that wasn't my intention.

What I should have added is that's why they may appear too weedy to absorb any shock, as, despite the name often used for them, they don't actually have to absorb shocks. :smiling3:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Those aren't friction shock absorbers dampers Andy, lever arm dampers are hydraulic, just like the telescopic ones that are more common these days. My TR4A has lever arm dampers on the rear, they contain two pistons, one for bump, one for rebound, that as you say force oil through small holes.
Fristion dampers look very different, having an assembly of discs that rotate against each other as the axle moves up or down.

Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Pete. I know of the friction type but have never seen one, hence my mistake. Thank you for the correction.

Dave, so sorry about the temporary derailment.