1/35 Bronco Gaz-69 2P26 ATM 'Baby Carriage'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Onto the floor pan - quite a few parts, some PE, and not a lot to show for it. The passengers seat back is reversed, so he can use the missile controls ( it can also be dismounted, and used away from the vehicle, via cable - stored on a drum )P1060239.JPGP1060240.JPG

The person responsible for the instructions must have worked for Dragon ( or maybe he went to work there! ). Parts are added in one stage, then vanish for several stages, and appear again later!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Here are some real ones on a Bentley:
DSC07104.JPG
while this Rolls has lever arm dampers (but no body!).
DSC07098.JPG
Photos taken at Silvertone in April.
Dave, sorry for the hijack!
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a day away from the bench - visitors/visiting!
The body sides need a bit of cleaning up!P1060248.JPG
There are a lot of 'pips' to remove - these parts are very thin & flexible.....................

Dry fitted the wheels - hmm three pointer, some adjustment needed!
Started to add the sides - only glued over the rear wheel arches. This is the most positive location area - I'll let this really dry before continuing, the parts are very thin, and it would be very easy to distort, or break themP1060249.JPGP1060250.JPG

It's a rather small vehicle................................P1060251.JPG

This always gives me a problem, when to start painting? A larger vehicle, and I'd leave the body off, but this is so small! I'll leave the doors, windows & cab roof off, but there's loads of detail painting needed on the rear cab bulkhead, so it looks like it's going to paint as I go along from now.
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming along nicely despite poor instruction. I had similar lever operated hydraulic dampers on the front suspension of my 53 Oldsmobile. As you said, "...look too small..." they were not very effective, but kind of cute. They had a little port you could add auto trans fluid to if low. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Added a few more bits, front mudguards, bonnet & grille - then primed - black. Soviet wheeled vehicles seemed to have a black chassis, so that's a start. I'm going to do the cab interior with Russian Green, then the exterior body work with a sandy/beige/yellow, and the canvas bits with a faded grey/yellow colour.................................. P1060252.JPG

I'm going to try and complete the main vehicle, before moving onto the missiles & launcher. Then there's only the folded hood..................
Dave

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I now use foil exclusively for tarps, tilts, etc. I've found it holds its shape nicely, takes adhesive, and different textures can be obtained, and/or impressed where preferred. IHTH. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My doubt about foil is the texture - too smooth, the alternative, fine paper has an inherent 'grain' - I think a bit of experimentation will be needed!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm collecting the foil lids from my instant porridge pots for possible future use. They have some texture to them, maybe a bit too much, but smoothing it out a little should be easier then trying to add it in to completely smooth foil.

Might be worth a look amongst your other experiments.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It takes a bit of investigation, but you can find packaging foil like Andy mentions above that have varying amounts of texture eg. Philadelphia Cream Cheese foil has a texture in 1/87 scale akin to a metal non skid surface. I've found in 1/87 scale it is easier to add texture where needed by impressing only because cloth/canvass texture can be gained easier through finishes. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .looks good.
Going back to the tarp material, I've used the paper that come with shoes in the box. It's material like looking when dry and painted .
I use cling film to cover the area to be covered, then soak the paper in a mix of PVA / water, and carefully drape it over the cling film. You can't use much pressure or the paper will tear, but it can be teased into shape. Once dry it can be lifted from the cling film, painted inside and out and then placed back over the frame. HTHs

I can see why it was called a pram, just like the hood of a Silver Cross type !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a day or so away from the bench - a mishap involving a split bottle of CA and several hours getting the stuff off my fingers, shirtsleeves etc left me in no mood to do anything fiddly!
The Cab bulkhead has many parts on both sides - a fair few bits of PE, which are going to be invisible, and a total waste of time! There are over 40 parts on this, and you really have to study the instructions for placements....................P1060253.JPGP1060255.JPG

There are still some wingnuts missing, but I ran out of patience! Some of the parts need a bit of straightening up - they're pretty delicate - I'll do that before priming.
There are sets of rods and gears, which will tilt & rotate the missile launcher from inside the cab, and, I think the hood as well! All handraulic................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave what ever camera you are using let Steve Jones know, those photos are great .
I have knocked over TET bottles in the past, and that's bad enough, but CA !
TET now jamed into a coffee jar lid,not the best way to spend the time cleaning the spill up. What annoyed me the most was the waste of money :smiling2::smiling2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The bulkhead looks chock full of detail Dave.....lots on this for a small vehicle....
I’ve done the TET thing as well, but never the superglue thing. I now secure open jars of glue or thinners to the bench top with a blob of blutac .........

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The CA disaster wasn't even modeling related! I'd cracked my smart phone case, and was trying to repair it ( I did eventually )
The camera I use is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. It's pointless recommending it, as it was replaced by the FZ8 in 2007! It takes a small ( by todays standards ) 7Mp picture. It was state of the art when I bought it, but technology has advanced slightly in tha last 12 years! :tongue-out:
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know what you mean Dave. I have a LUMIX DMC-FS5 with 10MP that was superseded many years ago. I bought it for using on short city breaks so I didn’t need to walk around with half a hundredweight of DSLR around my neck :thumb2: Still takes good shots though, which are more than adequate for net posting.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I traded in a brace of Minolta SLRs & lenses for a Minolta Dimage 5 Digital camera that was £600+ in 2002! - I still have it - a real battery eater, weighing much the same as a half-brick!
One of my original passions was photography - I used to develop & print my own pictures - that is now almost a lost art - pushing, pulling, dodging, all terms that no longer mean a lot. I still keep one film camera, a Rollexflex TLR inherited from my father, for sentimental reasons.
Photographic film - yet another old technology that has virtually disappeared!
Dave

• Love

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
These are the missing wingnuts!P1060256.JPG
Camera just wouldn't focus properly..............

I've sprayed the interior basecoat of Vallejo Russian Green, and dryfitted the cab bulkhead to see if any adjustment is needed.P1060260.JPGP1060259.JPG

None needed, I'll detail paint, and wash the interior before final assembly. I'm beginning to think it may be easier to brush paint the exterior, rather than mask off all the internals, wheel wells, chassis etc.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, interior detail painted & washes applied - none of which will be seen.............P1060275.JPGP1060276.JPG
Splotches of paint are me, trying to make my min up about which colour to use.
The roof & front window frame are dry fitted to see which sequence to assemble them, before/after painting the exterior.
The carrier has a high roof line, so that the vehicle mounted sight can see over the launcher, this does give it an odd appearance
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brush painted with Mig Ammo Warm Sand Yellow - I had to do two coats, and there are still areas which need attention................P1060278.JPGP1060277.JPG

The roof is still loose - I'll need access the interior to fit the windows. I'll put the wheels on next - and adjust to get full four point contact.
Dave