1/35 HobbyBoss Sd.Kfz.254 Saurer

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is going to be my next build............................hobby boss 254.jpg

Rather unusual, which is what attracted me in the first place. I will put up some sprue shots, and some detail shots tomorrow, of some of the finest mouldings I've had in my hands. Vinyl tyres, a small PE fret. The construction, especially the suspension looks complex, and added to that, are individual track links - 138 per side.............
Unusually, for a military armoured vehicle, it has no armament - two finish versions, one an Afrika Korps vehicle, in yellow, the other Panzer Grey.
My pestilential Provost will be finished shortly, and the Beaufighter is in an advanced state, so construction will start later in the week
Dave

S

Spartan

Nice looking scout car Dave. Look forward to your next update and the build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some sprue shots.......................P1060077.JPGP1060079.JPG
4 of these:P1060074.JPG
2 of theseP1060076.JPG

And lots of theseP1060073.JPG

Decals/PE/TyresP1060070.JPG

Ans some detail shots...............P1060075.JPG

Those tracks...............P1060072.JPG

Some very fine moulding - serious care will be needed to detach these from the sprue - P1060080.JPGP1060081.JPG

Some really nice single piece moulding!P1060085.JPG

And, when you look at this closely - super detail - the bolts through the chassis flange!P1060084.JPG
I've looked carefully, no injector pin marks in visible positions, and no flash. Some of the ingates are a little large, but nothing that a new 10A blade can't cope with!
I must say the mouldings are really good, it remains to see whether the fit comes up to the same standards!
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice choice. Sprue shoots look good. Those tires are very well done. The basic shape is effective, but the track/wheel engineering looks vulnerable. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Paul,
considering the 254 weighed in at over 6.5 tonnes, the wheels look very small, and anaemic!
Dave

S

Spartan

Dave this looks to be a nice kit. Nice detailing and the sprues look crisp and clean.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That looks a nice kit of an unusual subject. The tracks will certainly test your patience.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
serious care will be needed to detach these from the sprue
Tip: carefully saw through the connections rather than use snippers or a knife.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Waiting for weathering to dry on my Beaufighter, construction started on the 254 - suspension bogies.................P1060097.JPG

You have to be careful when removing the parts from the sprues, it's easy to cut off tiny locating pins!! Careful study of the instructions is vital.
The main chassis and body - part assembled/dry fittedP1060096.JPG

Not very long - but the height seems to indicate that this thing was top-heavy! I have read reviews, indicating that there are fit problems - but either HB altered the mouldings, I'm lucky, or the reviewer had a bad day............
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
When I cut the parts there is always that gap under so I've decided to put some hard foam under the sprue so when I attempt to remove the links they don't get bent and snap I've had this happen to many times.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I often cut the sprue up, to remove any projections - this should allow you to get the back of the part supported by the cutting mat.................
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further work on the suspension - at least the tracked part!P1060099.JPGP1060100.JPGP1060101.JPG

There are some tiny PE parts (9) I have missed out..........................P1060098.JPG

These are grease nipples for some of the bearings - I'll wait and see if any of them will be visible after assembly, before deciding not to fit them!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’ll be easier to make those with a punch and die set than to clean up and add those etched ones, I’d think.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Dave , handy tip .
Looking very clean, I'm for the tracks !
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've dry fitted the sprockets & idlers, so I can measure some track lengthsP1060103.JPG

I spent part of last night removing some of the tracks...............................
P1060102.JPG

Just a simple matter of joining them up!
Dave

S

Spartan

Dave the dry fit looks to be going well. Your going to be busy with those tracks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In Dutch, there’s an expression that I think originates in bicycle racing: mind on zero and gaze on infinite. That’s pretty much what you need to do with separate-link tracks :smiling3:

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice ! Going to take notes.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Jakko,
I have to make do with listening to Pink Floyd!
Dave
works for me too!
looks like a few albums' worth there, Dave!
My grandson has an Academy Stuart with track links, and we keep putting it off. it will be the first time for me- maybe a couple more years when I can confidently allow him to do them for himself...:thinking:
do you bother with the seam lines when the parts are that small?seems like a nightmare