1/35 KV-2 BUNKER BUSTER BY TRUMPETER

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Bunker Buddies.

Been messing around with colours on the trunks, lots of differing colours and shades shown on the web of Scots Pine trunks so here we are.

2021_4.jpg2021_6.jpg

2021_3.jpg2021_2as.jpg

2021_2.jpg
Not the easiest things to photo , might be better when they are on the dio later with some foliage , but you can get an idea.

Thanks for looking in, comments welcome.
Dzhon.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely John.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Mr Race :thumb2:
Thanks Gerry, should get back to this once the other build is under way.

Coming on nicely John.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew, bench is a bit cluttered ( no change from normal ) but as I said to Gerry I should get back to this soon. Appreciate you both looking in.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Back again with this as it became a shelf queen, but I don't like to have have finished builds on the display area.
Of course I misplaced the latex for the Pine branches and after searching ( but not well enough ) ordered a new bottle only to find the first one ! At least its only 50ml .

A few photos.

2021_4.jpg
Note the clear sprue safety storage !

2021.jpg

Branch in work .

2021_5.jpg
2021_3.jpg

Selection of debris to use for the ground under the trees.
As these are Scots Pine which is common in Finland I had to look for another way of making them. The Sea Grass trees wouldn't look right and nor Ferns . Mature pins have most of their growth towards the top and every one seems to differ as opposed to the firs using ferns.

Taking florists paper covered thin wire I'm continuing to make more branches, twisting then painting in a coat of Latex, once thicker enough I paint.

Once the diorama is complete I can add the snow.

Yesterday I sanded a metal plate I have for modelling and removed a amount of rust, though I would try using it.Once brushed up I placed some on the KV1

2021.jpg2021_2.jpg2021_3.jpg
Just hope the hair spray for the snow doesn't blow it all away :smiling3:

2021_4.jpg

2021_3.jpg2021_5.jpg2021.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good John. Good to see this back on the bench.

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great to see this back on the go Mr.R. :thumb2:
It`s looking very nice indeed,i`m particularly liking the muddied snow,snow is something i`ve struggled with over time....... even with using the "Precision Snow" stuff!
Good watch this is mate:cool: ,
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Excellent JR.........you might fix that rust in place with a light low pressure dusting of thinned flat clear before the hairspray treatment. Just a thot Sir. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I remember this well. Real rust :thumb2: . I look forward to the completed trees.
Jim

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Glad your back on this, was looking forward to seeing your trees.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John. Good to see this back on the bench.
Thanks Andrew, just been doing the branches so nothing to really show.

Sum'pin on the clear sprue you don't want to lose?
Yes Paul, head light and rear light glasses.

Great to see this back on the go Mr.R. :thumb2:
It`s looking very nice indeed,i`m particularly liking the muddied snow,snow is something i`ve struggled with over time....... even with using the "Precision Snow" stuff!
Good watch this is mate:cool: ,
Andy
Andy getting snow to look right is not easy, I've found that using Sculpamold being white you can do a wash over it. When the PIS is used it will cover most of it, just showing a a hint of muddy .

Excellent JR.........you might fix that rust in place with a light low pressure dusting of thinned flat clear before the hairspray treatment. Just a thot Sir. Rick H.

Yes, good idea Rick,thanks :thumb2: I had thought about using a pigment sealer, but don't want it too run. Might well try your idea, did it with the last build and it didn't 't blow off the debris dust.

Hi John
I remember this well. Real rust :thumb2: . I look forward to the completed trees.
Jim

Hi Jim a chance it might work, certainly look right to me. Just hoping my ideas for the greenery work .

Glad your back on this, was looking forward to seeing your trees.

Thanks Mark, should be good, the only worry is using Balsa dowel , as you can expect very prone to snapping esp when I drill into it.

Thanks for the comments.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking very realistic there now. :thumb2:
I've always looked at trees as being 'difficult' items to get 'right' - I find that with me, they come out all the wrong shape!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very realistic there now. :thumb2:
I've always looked at trees as being 'difficult' items to get 'right' - I find that with me, they come out all the wrong shape!
Have to agree with you Gerry, the masses of needles on a Scots Pine are a problem.Using some foliage dark enough should be ok. Normally I use Sea foam trees that I grow for Silver Birch , but these are so different .Managed to day to do another coat of latex on the wires, and drilled out another truck and painted it. Going to be at least 3 days before I can start to paint the branches as the latex seems to take ages to dry.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening from Race Towers.

Although rather warm in the cave late this afternoon I did find some time to do some more on the tress and figures.
I continued with the trees from yesterday where I had painted the branches and trucks again. This time I added a little more latex on some points of entry into the truck.

The other 3rd tree I decided to try some Javis foliage, please to say the least as it looks just as a photo I found of a mature tree.

Also painted the figures again, this time the white winter uniform, done the hat badge and finished the weapons. I can't see well enough using one eye with limited depth of field to do detail on the faces, so its going to be the Games wash as usual.

I made a load of rifle straps by folding a piece of Tamiya masking tape on to its self and then cutting very thin sections out. I've found that just drawing scaple down the rule the tape parts easily. Try cutting it in one pass and it rips.

2021_3.jpg2021_4.jpg2021_4.jpg2021_8.jpg
Trying CA and some white thick pva, will see tomorrow which is the better.

2021_5.jpg

2021_7.jpg

2021_10.jpg

Thanks for looking in, comments welcome .

Dzhon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work John. Good to see the wash is working well for you….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Nowt wrong with those figures. Trees look good although a lot of work spread over days.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely John. The trees got off to a nice start.

How did you find painting the winter uniform? Must be hard painting something so completely monotone.

ATB

Andrew