1/35 KV-2 BUNKER BUSTER BY TRUMPETER

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Sorry to hear about the pines I was going to say I used PVA any blobs will disappear as it dries clear. Glad to know the mojo is back.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Sorry to hear about the pines I was going to say I used PVA any blobs will disappear as it dries clear. Glad to know the mojo is back.
Sounds a good idea Paul, Jim had suggested that as well. I will have a go with the pva next time. Yes feeling more like modelling, strange how it suddenly disappears and returns.

sorry about the ferns, John- what exactly happened to them?

Think it was me rushing the treatment Neil, I don't know how long Paul leaves his fern in the mix but this time I tried to lessen the time down to 3 days. Normally I would leave them for at least a week.

The other thing is I don't know if the glycerine mix becomes weaker as it ages. I try to save mine and reuse it, may be part of the reason. Hopefully someone my know. Tim are you reading this !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sounds a good idea Paul, Jim had suggested that as well. I will have a go with the pva next time. Yes feeling more like modelling, strange how it suddenly disappears and returns.

Think it was me rushing the treatment Neil, I don't know how long Paul leaves his fern in the mix but this time I tried to lessen the time down to 3 days. Normally I would leave them for at least a week.

The other thing is I don't know if the glycerine mix becomes weaker as it ages. I try to save mine and reuse it, may be part of the reason. Hopefully someone my know. Tim are you reading this !
Thanks John but I still don't understand what happened. Did they rot, discolour, fall apart? All of the above?
I saved my glycerine mix from last year and it's gone mouldy:tired:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, I’m reading this John. I had to have a good look around to see how glycerol (glycerine is the same thing, but glycerol is the “proper” name). works before I could answer. I may not be completely correct, but in essence glycerol works as a humectant, keeping things moist by attracting water through its hygroscopic properties. It therefore maintains the moisture content of the plant material, stopping it from drying out and therefore not allowing the cellulose component to become brittle.
What has probably happened with your stored solutions is that they have been in a damp environment and are no longer hydroscopic? Not sure why yours became mouldy though Neil, glycerol has anti microbial and antiviral properties?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John but I still don't understand what happened. Did they rot, discolour, fall apart? All of the above?
I saved my glycerine mix from last year and it's gone mouldy:tired:
Hi Neil, they started to loose colour, so from this I assume they have not taken any glycerine or the added green colorant in. ( Food Colouring, which has always worked before) Oh yes always goes mouldy !:smiling2: I've skimmed nearly 20mm off the top before now:flushed:. Not on this one though, when I soak the seas grass it always happens, as there's loads of material that gets dislodged and lies in the mix.

Yep, I’m reading this John. I had to have a good look around to see how glycerol (glycerine is the same thing, but glycerol is the “proper” name). works before I could answer. I may not be completely correct, but in essence glycerol works as a humectant, keeping things moist by attracting water through its hygroscopic properties. It therefore maintains the moisture content of the plant material, stopping it from drying out and therefore not allowing the cellulose component to become brittle.
What has probably happened with your stored solutions is that they have been in a damp environment and are no longer hydroscopic? Not sure why yours became mouldy though Neil, glycerol has anti microbial and antiviral properties?

Thanks Tim.:smiling3: Hoped you would. Yes in layman's terms that what I thought. Think the amount of time I allowed was well below for the mix to enter the stem. As for the mould Tim is seems to happen if you allow any partials of vegetation to remain in the mix when you store it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That was my theory John. So it's good to know it can be rescued and doesn't need to be chucked, thanks

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
A setback indeed :sad: It probably was a weakened solution and the shorter time although being so fine I would have imagined a lesser time would be needed. I am sure the next batch will be fine.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That was my theory John. So it's good to know it can be rescued and doesn't need to be chucked, thanks
The first time I looked in the plastic container Neil to find this fury green thing floating on the top I was horrified. Though that's it , but it came out so well in one great sheet. I'm sure it was alive :flushed:.

Hi John
A setback indeed :sad: It probably was a weakened solution and the shorter time although being so fine I would have imagined a lesser time would be needed. I am sure the next batch will be fine.
Jim

Just one of those things Jim, we learn by mistakes. Now on with the Scots Pine, dowel trucks and .4 paper covered wire. I've been twisting some together to make larger branches, then covering the wire in thick PVA. The bottle of latex rubber I had since 2016 has gone into a thick mess, and dried out.:cold-sweat: Ordered some more but a smaller bottle, great, for putting onto the wires to cover them and of course flexible.

Thanks for looking in guys and your comments.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The latex has arrived, so a coat has been made on the branches. Going to leave over night then start to do layers, as many as needed to hide the twisted wire.

2021_13.jpg2021_14.jpg
Will be nice to get going again.

Thanks for looking in.
Dzhon.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Suddenly tonight I felt like doing the base paint wise. What I wanted to achieve is the rock formations that the bunker was built onto.
Started with a grey, then when I'm was doing a very thinned wash on the back to use up any paint left in the lid I realized it looked better!
So rubbed the now painted front section with a toweling cloth , adding more water as required.
Once that was done I added some light sand brown. Left it to dry over night to see how it looks.

IMG_20210611_223456236.jpgIMG_20210611_223508318.jpg
Will add some darker browns. There will be a very light snow covering at the end.

Nice to feel in the modeling mood again .

Comments welcome, along with abuse and anything else.:nerd:

Dzhon

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Suddenly tonight I felt like doing the base paint wise. What I wanted to achieve is the rock formations that the bunker was built onto.
Started with a grey, then when I'm was doing a very thinned wash on the back to use up any paint left in the lid I realized it looked better!
So rubbed the now painted front section with a toweling cloth , adding more water as required.
Once that was done I added some light sand brown. Left it to dry over night to see how it looks.

View attachment 426005View attachment 426004
Will add some darker browns. There will be a very light snow covering at the end.

Dzhon
Good to see you back on this John, been waiting ages to see this come together, I always learn something new watching other people's builds.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

View attachment 426005View attachment 426004

Dzhon
That looks excellent, John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Shaping up nicely.
Thanks Paul.:thumb2:

Good to see you back on this John, been waiting ages to see this come together, I always learn something new watching other people's builds.
Me too Mark, but you'll probely learn more from my mistakes:smiling:

Coming on nicely matey.
Cheers mate.

Hi John
Rocks look suitably rocky :smiling: Interesting to see how the trees come on.
Jim
Thanks Jim, the trees are looking ok branch / trunk wise just hope the material I'm using for the greenery is ok. 1623485791068.png

That looks excellent, John
Thanks Neil.